main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Good long articles on the internet

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Apr 6, 2015.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    For when you want something to read.

An interview with Gary Kurtz
    From 2002, 5 long pages consisting mainly of ruminations on Star Wars.

IGNFF: From your personal experience, how would you compare the George you worked with on American Graffiti to the George you worked with towards the end of The Empire Strikes Back?

KURTZ: It was quite different, actually. He was very different. I think the most unfortunate thing that happened was the fact that Indiana Jones came along, and Raiders of the Lost Ark had come out in between. George and I had many, many discussions about that, but it boiled down to the fact that he became convinced that all the audience was interested in was the roller-coaster ride, and so the story and the script didn't matter anymore.

Now Raiders is not a bad film, but the script actually was much better than the finished film. There were a lot more nuances in the character, and there was less action. It would've been a better picture if that script had been made. But, as it is, it's an interesting and entertaining film; it's just that this idea that somehow the energy doesn't have to be put into getting really good story elements together. One of the arguments that I had with George about Empire was the fact that he felt in the end, he said, we could have made just as much money if the film hadn't been quite so good, and you hadn't spent so much time. And I said, "But it was worth it!"

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Not that long, and also not an article, but a great read.

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/trends/Concise Report on the World Population Situation 2014/en.pdf

also: shame on you, George Lucas.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    We're on the verge of becoming a 70s dystopian science fiction film and Charlton Heston is no longer around to save us.

A three page interview with Atari and Chuck E. Cheese's founder Nolan Bushnell on the classic video game era, his many ambitious failures since selling Atari, and the contemporary video game culture.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I like Deng Xioping's advice: keep public speaking to an hour and a half.