main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Good news everyone!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Rebel Scumb, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Well everyone in L.A. anyways.

I found THIS over at AICN.

A chance to see the original unruined version of SW on the big screen.

2. background-jedi

background-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2003
    I never thought the the Special Edition were ruined. Too bad I don't live in L.A.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
  4. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Shouldn't this title be "Good News for the lucky people who live in LA" ? ;)

Hopefully one day fans all over the world will be able to view the Original Trilogy once again on the big screen.

5. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Well I wanted to make a futurama reference.

6. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    good reference.. :p
    grr..... I want to go see that..... :(

7. JawasAteJabba

JawasAteJabba Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2003
    Bah,I wish they would do the same with the wrath of kahn.

8. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    that would be cool. Imagine a double bill of ESB and WOK?

9. Boba_Kris

Boba_Kris Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    I just checked out the site where you can buy tickets and it says:

DGA Theatre 2
    Star Wars, A New Hope (SE)
    Written & Directed by George Lucas.

So it is NOT the original version afterall. Hmmm......

I guess I won't waste my time seeing this.

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Hey, it's still Star Wars on the big screen.

If ANH was playing in my area on a big screen I'd try to go whether it was my edition of choice or not.

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    It's not happening. Ooooh, read the new AICN article! See how nasty people are. *sigh*

I don't know why they picked ANH to represent 1970s cinema in the first place. I'd have picked Godfather or Chinatown... or something more indicative of what MOST 'great films of the 1970s' were about. ANH was the exception, not the rule.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I wouldn't pick Godfather either. Godfather might've been made in the 70s, but in it's themes and style it was much more like a 30s film-noir movie. While it was an excellent film, it didn't represent the way life was in the 70s, it makes the movie an ill choice to represent the decade.

Same goes for Star Wars. The whole beauty of Star Wars is that, while the themes relate to the things people have dealt with for throughout history, the movies themselves are not products of their times.

13. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Yes now LA people get to see a slow-motion space battle on the big screen! Yay for them!!

Too bad Harry's nostalgia glasses prevent him from seeing the improvements of the SEs and the drawbacks of the originals, which will be even more pronounced on the big screen.

*sprints out of thread before the flame fest begins*

14. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    royalguard, read my recent post and you'll find they WON'T get to see that slow-motion matte-line-fest on the screen.

(Not that the SE is completely free of matte line issues, mind you [face_plain] )

I actually watched the ANH OE this summer. While I was still caught up in the story 'n' all during the Battle of Yavin, I found the matte lines, boxes around ships, slowness etc. distracting. Sort of the way some people have issues with CG characters... it sort of takes you out of it, but not completely... it was just distracting.

Whatever. Frankly as long as Lucas cleans everything up perfect in the UE, he can release an OE, a rough-cut-OE and a no-effects-at-all OE for all I care! Who am I to complain about how other people spend their money?

Rick McCallum loves you!

15. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    almost forgot! Metal - true, but I feel it's still more indicative of 70s cinema than ANH. Slower, more 'cerebral', character-driven, what have you.

Although I suppose to really reflect 70s zeitgeist in a 70s Coppola film you'd go for Apocalypse Now, wouldn't ya?

But THAT's got a special edition too!

Ya just can't win! :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The more that petition grows, the more silly it becomes.

17. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I've actually signed that petition. (I think. If someone wants to check for me, feel free.)

Because:
    (1) It is not against the idea of having SEs/UEs. (If it said "put out only the OE, don't do anything else", I wouldn't sign.)
    (2) I believe the O-OT should be preserved for historical reasons; while it is not my edition of choice for entertainment, its effects are landmarks of their time. I feel it is very important to preserve movies, and make them available to the world if financially feasible.
    (3) if the OEs came out on DVD it would make this board a better place because people could shut up about it already.

But there is one thing I enjoy about the fact that there are no plans to release multiple DVDs.
    With that, the "Lucas only cares about money" goes COMPLETELY out the window, because he is sacrificing big sales for the sake of what he feels is important for his art.
    I think if the OE ever does hit DVD, I'll whine that evil Luca$ is gouging the fans! [face_laugh] and that people are sheep and will buy whatever crap he puts out! [face_laugh]

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I didn't know that there was an original unaltered print available.

I don't know why Lucasfilm seems to be so stubborn. What's the big deal about showing SW the way audiences first saw it in 1977?

Sure the SE has some improvements like a better picture but crappy Jabba and Greedo shooting first among other things definitely detracts from any improvements.

For cryin'out loud George. It's a no-brainer. Just release the originals on DVD. Many fans will also buy the SE version or whatever the latest version of SW is when it finally comes out on DVD.

19. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I wish I could go see the OT on the big screen again. :(

20. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I dont understand what the big deal is. I mean, if people are so emotionally attached to this unfinished peice of work with annoying, crappy matte lines, then they can probably find it at any used vhs store. Heck, I just sold my orginal edition OT to one of those stores and made six bucks off of it! That store even had the first video releases of ANH and TESB!!!

21. Funker_Pete

Funker_Pete Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I wish I could say that I'm going to boycott Episode III over Lucas refusing to let the fans see the originals.

I really would like to see the originals again. The only one I remember seeing in the theatre was Return of the Jedi. I was nine years old and it blew me away. I sure wish I could see them all in their original glory on the big screen.

I really wish I could say that I'm going to boycott Episode III.

If the title ends up being Revenge of the Sith, I'm not going to see it. That's a definite. But I don't know what to do about the Original Trilogy.

Knowing that I'll probably never see them again leaves me kind of hollow. It's like a part of my childhood has been surgically removed. The Return of the Jedi part, mostly.

22. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    pssst - Funker - you can still see them. ROTJ is not gone. Just a little different for five minutes or so.

Sorry, but OE-desiring rhetoric that implies that the movies are completely gone just amuses me.

EDIT:
    And do you know what, people?
    If Lucas DID look back on the OT, or the PT, or the whole freakin' saga, or on Graffiti or THX-1138, and be embarrassed by it and say "no one should get to see this again, let's not release any more tapes/DVDs/etc." -- I'd support him.
    Would I agree with him? No.
    But I am a filmmaker. And I know what it's like to not want your work (or elements of it) to be seen again.

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    If i draw a mustache on the mona lisa, its not really the mona lisa anymore is it?

What about if I give her bigger boobs?

"I mean, if people are so emotionally attached to this unfinished peice of work with annoying, crappy matte lines, then they can probably find it at any used vhs store."

If the movie was unfinished then it should never have been released in theatres. If you don't like SW thats your problem.

BTW- AICN is reporting that the COA filmfestival tried very hard to get he original version, but Lucas film won't let them, and will only give them the SE.

The filmfestival is suppose to show a century of cinema, with SW representing the 70s.

Showing the SE would make no sense.

24. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "If i draw a mustache on the mona lisa, its not really the mona lisa anymore is it?"

It sounds to me like you're speaking out against personal edits of the films. ;) There's a huge difference between you altering a piece of art and the creator altering his/her work.

Cometgreen

25. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Cometgreen, AdamBertocci... Yeah.

I can't say that I ever have much left to say after one of you has posted.

I guess all I can say is that, though I'm too young to have seen the OT in theaters, I love Star Wars in all it's forms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.