main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Good or lucky things that happened at work today...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Griffith Observatory sounds like a really appropriate place for a Star Wars meeting. I've never been, either.

SJ, Good luck, then. I hope you find a better job right after your vacation, but one that doesn't interfere with CIV.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So, not quite good, per se, but I thought this was cool.

I was working the phones and I ahd someone call about how she's coming out here for her honeymoon and wanted info on getting to the observatory. Then in the call she asked if we're doing anything Star Wars related because... dun dun dun..... the reason they're coming out here in particular is CIV. So I ended up talking to people from Chicago about how to get around LA for CIV and stuff.

3. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I met a Star Wars fan a couple of weeks ago. He works for another bureau, well, he's not really the fan, he's sort of a fan. His friend is the fan. I went up to his desk to drop off some paper work and he had a Episode III plastic cup on his desk. I left him a note on a post it and ended with MTFBWY. We discussed Star Wars a bit but that was about it.

Yesterday, I was in a pre-construction meeting with JR. It was a pretty big and important meeting. All of the important people were there, and me. JR got up and briefly explained the project. He did very well and looked sharp in his yellow tie. I stood up and was interrupted. It was funny.

4. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I left work at 1pm yesterday. I went home to take a nap. Actually I was there to wait on my furniture delivery.

5. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I like the "SW at work stories," although I make that happen almost everyday when I go pester SR at his desk. I like to make sure that all his colleagues see the geeks talking geek. But one of his former bosses came into my office today (and I think it was the one he liked less) and said: "you need another Yoda there." She is a designer so she would know! So I guess I need to bring more Yodas in... [face_mischief] A designer said so!

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JB, I also love co-workers like that. Man. Most of the time I get people who tell me I need more pictures of my padawan at my desk or they ask me how many kids I have. I just add more as needed and I don't care what others say.

7. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    SH said you needed more Yodas JB? Oh brother! I'm actually taking my GG C3PO and Jawa in today and taking Boba home. I need to make a change.

Also one of our moves comes to me with a Clone trooper poster and says "Do you have this?". I said "no". He then said "Well when you want you can always come by my desk and look at it". He of coarse was kidding and then gave me the poster. I want to hang it in the office but I share with two other people and I don't know what they will think.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I had a co-worker who had a Data standee and some people complained about him. You know, if we can't make our workplace happy for ourselves, what good is having a workplace? I say put the poster up and the others be darned.

9. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Since we spend more of our waking hours at work (at least I do) we should have it be a comfy environment! Put the poster up!

Right now I'm doing something I rarely do -- I'm eating an actual breakfast! For weeks I've been tormented by the sweet smell of bacon wafting across the lot in the mornings...but I've resisted until now! Mmmmmmm, so tasty it's evil. And everyone walking past my office is commenting on how good it smells!

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I just found out a little while ago that I passed the exam for that stupid class that JR and I were taking. Yeah! I tried to get JR's score for him but she wouldn't tell me what it was.

Now I have to find something to do so I don't have to attend the presentation at the Management Staff Meeting. I may have another obligation...

11. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Yesterday I got laid off of my job, which happens to be a sub prime lender. It's not all that bad. I still get a regular paycheck till the end of june, keep my benefits till then, and after that I get a severance for the time that I've been there.

I'm still looking for work, but I'm gonna take a little time off to relax a bit. I'm still going to school though.

12. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    SJ,
    Sorry to hear that, man. I was laid off early last year and I know how it feels. Tell you what - let's get together and I'll but you a drink. or two or three...

13. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    SJ, Register for unemployment right away, though.

14. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    I can't get unemployment because of my 60 day notice. Technically, I'm still on my company's payroll and I'll be getting a regular check like I would if I were going in to work. I'm on eligible for unemployment after those 60 days. Pretty much I'm getting paid to do nothing till the end of June. How's that for a lay off comp?

JJ, pm with your number and we'll have drinks this weekend if you'd like. If not whenever, I some free time now so just let me know. If anyone else wants to come with, let me know.

15. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    SJ, sorry to hear that and you just quit your other job too. Well, I guess the good thing is that you don't have to take time off now for CIV. But to get paid and not have to go to work. Now that's a dream job.

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Well, JR beat me. His score was higher than mine. Darn him. Oh well. At least we both passed.

17. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    Actually SR, when I was a video game tester, THAT was a dream job. Getting paid to play video games, that's fun.

18. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    I met Martin Sheen this morning. He's here as the host of our new Saturday Night Movie lineup, a project that I'm somewhat involved in. He's a character, in a good way.

SJ, sorry about the layoff but yeah, how bad is it really to sit around for a few months on full pay? Sweet! You'll get another job when you're ready.

DH and JR, congrats on passing your tests!

19. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks. I'm happy I passed. I'm even happier that I got a higher score than DH. Now I can call her LOSER and be justified about it (she calls me loser all the time, she calls everyone a loser).

20. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Wait, JN, I thought you worked for PBS?? What kinds of films would they show?

21. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    The good kind, JJ. Uncut and unedited. Here's a partial lineup:

5/5 East of Eden
    5/12 Amadeus
    5/19 Grifters
    5/26 Chariots of Fire
    6/2 BLADE RUNNER
    6/9 Body Heat

It goes on like this for a full year with cool stuff like Twilight Zone: The Movie and Klute popping in also.

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Is it the director's cut of Blade Runner or the theatrical version?

I think Martin Sheen is cool. A bit radical (really, only a bit?) but pretty cool.

23. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    We've been debating the Blade Runner issue, DH. The movies are all the original theatrical versions so initially, it wasn't a problem. But apparently WB has a theatrical version of that director's cut that was played in theatres. Argh.

24. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    I agree with Rodley Scott, the Director's Cut is much more lucid and dramatically sound work then the studio-hacked version.

25. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    SR and I had lunch with two other Sony SW geeks today! It was fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.