main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Good Read

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I never got round to it. Tonight I have been on a bit of a posting spree so I figured "Why the hell not?" So here it is...

I've been wondering if anyone can recommend some really good authors. Or even just really good books they have read. I've run out, and I can't think of any new authors to read.

The idea of this thread came from Griz lending Soup the Jeffery Deaver book. I read it and fell inlove with the author. He's fantastic! (Oh yeah, and I e-mailed him about the Star Wars references that he puts in the books and this is what he replied with... "As for your Star Wars question, I've enjoyed the movies, but am not as devoted a fan as some folks are. I like to include pop references in my books for fun.")

So yeah, I was wondering what other authors people can recommend. What books do you enjoy? If you can add a little review of why you like the book/author as well, that would be great...

Thanks people. :) Lets hope we get some good reading out of this thread. :) Oh yeah, and the books don't have to be about Star Wars, or even have Star Wars mentioned in them, I'd rather they weren't about Star Wars, but yeah... :)

2. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not much into reading at the mo (I should be with so much spare time on my hands), but a personal fave of mine is Bridget Jones's Diary and it's sequel "The Edge of Reason". I think it's more for the girlies, but if you've seen the movie, then you have to read the book cause it's different. There's stuff in the movie that's not in the book and vice versa.

3. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Like a lot of people here, I like Raymond E Feist's Magician trilogy. I've actually chatted to him online a couple of times and met him once in person when he was doing a book signing here.

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Well here's my list of favorite authors/books/comics/graphic novels...

Neil Gaiman : (author of NeverWhere, American Gods, The Sandman graphic novels and co-author of Good Omens) He's just a fantastic author. Really inventive and I adore the graphic novels!

Jill Thompson : (author of the little Endless story book, artist of various comic books) I love her art, and even though the Endless storybook is aimed more at the younger readers, it is soooo cute!!

Roman Dirge : (author of Lenore:The story of a cute little dead girl) He's just funny. I mean come on, a story about a little dead girl? And the thing is, she is cute! :)

Serena Valentino : (author of GloomCookie) I am in love with the art and the story itself, it's all fantastic!

James O'Barr : (author of The Crow) I read the graphic novel, watched the movie and I want more!!

Terry Pratchett : (author of the DiscWorld series) I don't think I need to comment on how fantastic Terry's work is, most people will know it.

And there is much, much more... :)

5. Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2002
    I like the Baby Sitters Club... :)

6. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I recently read Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. I highly recommend it.

Was considering writing up a nice big review, but I don't really have the energy.

:)

7. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    there's next weeks editorial topic then :)

8. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Nah,

Still trying to think of something for that. Only got until tomorrow too !

9. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Anne McCaffery - the Dragons of Pern series. Start with Dragonflight and follow in the order that they're listed in the book. Finish with Dragonsdawn.

Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts - Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire are all excellent, regardless of whether you've read the Magician series or not. In my opinion, they're better reads, and more structured.

Carl Sagan - Contact. Yes, the movie where the alien is her father. Believe me, the book is 100 billion times better than the movie.

Just ask if you want more titles. :)

10. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Yesterday I saw a trilogy I'd forgotten about in a second hand bookstore. The Darksword trilogy. It's by the same authors who did the dragonlance series. Kinda kids stuff compared to most of the ones mentioned but I enjoyed reading them as a teenager (I thought the darksword trilogy was far better than the more popular dragonlance series).
    Of coure I've been a big fan of Tolkien for a long time too but there's nothing terribly unusual about that.
    In highschool I read several of the Conan novels (the first movie was based very closely on the first book but there were heaps of other Conan books). They were actually pretty decent hack & slash style fantasy. :) Can't remember who the author was.

11. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    Anything by Marion Zimmer Bradley especially her Darkover novels

Terry Prachetts discworld novels are always good for a laugh espcially the hogfather and any of the ones with rincewind in them.

Also Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman, a charming little tale of the antichrist :)

Robert Jorden Wheel of time series

Anything by orson scott card

CJ chereryl and Jo clayton are good authors too

don't get me started tho i'm sitting in a house with over 5000 scifi fantasy books in it :D

12. Sith_Jester

Sith_Jester Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 28, 2001
    Are we still talking hardcopy only?

*feels left out*

13. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    We're talking anything that you feel is a "good read"! I'll read anything once, or twice, or maybe even three times... Sometimes more... :)

14. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I thought that I might also add some of the webcomix I read to the list, maybe you have stumbled across some other webcomix that you find amusing. I'll also write a little bit about each comic, so you know what they're about... :)

Anything that can be read, and is entertaining, post it in here. :)

I should warn you that some of these comics may offend. Read at your own risk or something... :p

Down to Earth - This is a rather entertaining comic. It's about, well nothing really. The characters range from Death, a BarManager (Bernard), God and of course, The Devil. It takes digs at Star Trek, and just life in general. I love it... :D

Real Life - Well I think the name of this pretty much explains it all. It's based around the lives of the author (Greg Dean) and his friends.

Sinfest - Another comic about random nothingness. Characters range from the Devil, God (and his hand puppets), a cat and a dog, a guy and a girl, and a pig. Weird stuff... :)

Warp 9 to Hell - This comic is just plain weird. 'Nuff said!

Writhe and Shine - This comic is really cool. The main character in it is a Goth DJ. Goes through his life living in a new city and stuff... I like it... :)

15. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Warning, do not click on any of those links FA just provided, unless you have an entire day to waste :)

Oh, and here's Mega Tokyo. One that Gecko got me addicted too :)

16. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Only a day?! :p

17. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
  18. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Phe4r my Leet Nekkid Skilz!!

19. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    You are, like, SO not l337 Ugh!

20. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    But I am Nekkid ;)

oh, and found this comic in the real life comics website, thanks Fallen Angel :)

*writes off next 2 days*

21. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    No, but I know for a fact that you're phl47ul4n7.

ph34r da l337 grrlphr3nd! [face_devil]

EDIT: I am so l337!
    I am so l337!
    Ell-three-three-seven!

22. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Pot. Kettle. Black [face_devil]

23. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    At least I have a muffler. [face_devil]