main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Good Sportsmanship]This is what sports should be about.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
  2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yep good sportsmanship. They had a big article in the Oregonian about it. Just a freak injury, trying to cut back to first because she missed it.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, that's good stuff. It's what sports (especially at the college level) are supposed to be about: learning experiences that can be applied later in life. Taking time away from your self to help someone achieve what they've earned but can no longer get on their own is one such lesson.

And to the guy quoted in the article
    Bad analogy. A homerun and a playing streaking for a touchdown are vastly, vastly different things.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Agreed, this is a great story.

And a better analogy would be a lot more simple: could you imagine MLB players doing this in the same situation? I certainly couldn't.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It wouldn't matter in MLB, at least score-wise, because the umps hopefully wouldn't have screwed up the sub running call and let them hit all 4 bases. :p (See here.)

But a nice moment for everyone involved.

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This is the sort of thing that heralds back to the supposed glory days of sport and amateurism, and is a refreshing change from a lot of the negatives that we consistently here about sport. It shouldn't be, however, considered or pushed to be the standards in all sport however.

7. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Why not?:confused:

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_zi0_LjHHN4

I watched it live at the age of 10. Unforgettable. It wasn't another competitor who helped him along, but this was the first thing I thought of when I read the current story.

9. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Why did they have to take that story and bring up the whole men issue? They take a beautiful moment in sport and bring it down. This isn't an issue of male or female, it's a moment of compassion for your fellow human being.

Gotta love the media. [face_plain]

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    That really is a special story

11. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I guess that incidents such as this help make people realise that sport isn't all drug cheats and gambling and all those bad things often connected with sport. If it becomes the norm, we have nothing extraordinary to remind everyone of what makes sport great.

12. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Okay. I'd still think that it would be nicer for the world to be a better place, regardless of how extraordinary the goodness is, but I understand your point.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol, i just realized that it was my alma mater's team that carried the opposing player across home plate. i still work here at the cwu library. apparently this is like national news and someone here at work just now told me about it.

14. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Here's the ESPN Video on the story, with interviews with the girls and video of them carrying the player around the bases. Its an outstanidng piece, very moving.

15. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Out of curiosity, what inning was it and what was the score?

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It was the final inning, and her homerun was the game winner. She just had to touch the bases, which she couldn't do on her own.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Ahh, they should have made her crawl around the bases.:p

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Or used a substitute runner. :p

19. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    when she came to the plate in the top of the second inning of the second game with two runners on base and the game still scoreless

^Found that after I posted. 2nd inning. It was 0-0 at the time and ended 4-2 so her run was the winning run. The other team had just beaten them 8-1 to move 2 games ahead of them so maybe that played a part in their thinking.

I agree that she should have crawled if she really wanted it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.