main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Good titles to read from the Marvel era?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Apr 5, 2013.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I realized I have completely forgone reading the Marvel comics due to some preconceived judgment that they were outdated, however, I rented a few from the library today and I flipped through it to see a velociraptor in an Imperial uniform, so I think I'm pretty much obligated to start up now.

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    There are a lot of goodie's from the Marvel era. When at best, they capture that awesome feeling of chaos :p I guess my fav stories are those where features either Shira Brie or the Zeltron Dani. (I can't check the issues from where I am now, but if you go to the wook, you can find them listed under their names) The Shira arch because it creates a good suspese, and give us a few lovely Luke/Lando and Luke/Chewie moments - and the Dani arch because of the crazy chaos. There's almost always a bit of silliness in the Marvels, but I dont see them fit ill with the SW universe in general.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    I prefer silly things over Anakin brooding about everything that is wrong with his life

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    That would actually not be Marvel but likely the Dark Horse Reprint of Classic Star Wars Paper Strips from the Los Angeles Times. :) As on Marvel issues worth reading. Hmm... my Top 5 are

the Valance Story (#16, 27, 29)

Though there is a lot of awesome stuff in general hiding in the Marvel comics pages. :)

5. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Okay I got the Classic Star Wars: The Early Adventures collectio, along with "Escape to Hoth".

I'm assuming Escape to Hoth is actually a marvel comic?

edit: nevermind. i got all three volumes of the "original series" comic strips

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Basically, there's something great in each Marvel omnibus. I would say that they're all worth getting. Start from the beginning, which the weakest, and keep going as the stories get stronger and stronger.

If the character you saw was Stafuv Rahz, though, you were actually checking out one of the collections of the Star Wars daily comic strip, specifically the volume of Russ Manning stories. That volume contains some really cool elements, like the introduction of Blackhole, but generally it's the cheesiest and least interesting, important, or well-written of the classic material. The strongest is actually from the team that took over the comic strip after Manning left, Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson. Those stories are pure gold. Classic pulp-adventure fun; important and interesting plotlines like the debut of Executor, the evacuation of Yavin IV, the discovery of Hoth, saving Ackbar; and absolutely gorgeous classic-style art from Williamson.

EDIT: CSW: TEA is the collection of Manning's run on the daily comic. Escape to Hoth is the final of three volumes collecting the Goodwin-Williamson run. The first two are just entitled CSW: Volume One and CSW: The Rebel Storm.

pronker likes this.
  7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Marvel had lots of great titles... though the stories behind the cover title not always lived up to them ;)

yeah, TEA-time always is great!

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Anything including the Tagges (especially Orman), Valance or the Wheel is good. Of course, there are quite a few other neat stories in there as well.

FRAGWAGON and General Immodet like this.
  9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I'd second the suggestion to just read all of them, but my favorite issues have to be the Shira Brie/Lumiya arc: #56-63, 88, 95-97, 100, and 107.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Thirding the "read them all" approach -- I began reading them under the impression they were a haphazard collection of random arcs with no relation to one another, and shortly realized I had to get the omnibuses because the cherry-picking method wasn't working out.

Did you ever read the old Republic and Empire comics, IG_2000? Because they're closer to the vein of Republic rather than Empire -- that is, the later Republic comics would frequently reference characters and events from earlier comics, whereas the Empire series was a hodgepodge of different stories.

11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, I agree that the entire Marvel SW series is worth reading - good stuff, overall. Though the post-ROTJ issues (#81-on) get a lot of flack, I think they're interesting & worth reading. The Nagai issues were especially nice, and they had some great artwork.

12. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Really? I haven't read the Marvel comics in over 25 years as I lost them, but from what I remember the artwork got progressively worse at the end of the Marvel run (here two Marvel comics were published in each issue). I think the arc involving Shira Brie had some really, really great artwork. How I miss those old comics...

13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The Marvel series was very good at the beginning, I think. Especially the issues that were written by Goodwin.
    I did not really like the last issues. The whole Nagai-Tof War was a bit over the bill.
    I really hated that insectoid assistant of Ackbar... ;)

14. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The early Goodwin/Infantino issues. The whole run between Empire & Jedi. All of the Jo Duffy/Cynthia Martin issues post Jedi. That's the best of Marvel SW.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've noticed people on these forums are often polarized over the Nagai/Tof/Zeltron/anything-Mary-Jo-Duffy issues. Personally I liked them, but I can definitely see where the "over-the-top" sentiment comes from. The number of WTF?-moments rose exponentially at that point.

Come to think of it, the entire course of the Marvel run paralleled the OT in a way (chronology aside). The first third or so was like ANH, where you're not really sure what the hell's going on but it's fun and zany so you keep with it. The (roughly) second third is more like ESB, where stories get darker and it's more srs bsns and plot twists (Lumiya I'm looking at you). Then there's the last third mostly occupied by Jo Duffy zaniness (definite Hoojib-Hiromi/Ewok parallels) and the massive showdown at the end.

I never noticed that before. Huh.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The thing with the Duffy run of the comics is that there was a really serious underpinning of this big war story and some very dark characters and situations . . . and also there were some crazy, goofy comedy elements thrown on top. It's more over-the-top and more schizo than the older issues, which didn't go serious and epic in such a big way, but also integrated their campier elements into the pulp stories more seamlessly.

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Here's what's interesting re: my opinion of the post-ROTJ Marvel comics, specifically the aforementioned Nagai issues, most of which had artwork by Cynthia Martin (a great, very underrated artist, IMHO):

Back in the day when these comics came out, I didn't like them - I remember getting #81 (the one where the heroes go back to Tattoine after the Battle of Endor, and Boba Fett temporarily escapes from the Sarlaac for the first time) & maybe a handful of the other issues, but by the time the comic got to the Nagai & the Green Pirate types, I had lost interest. I didn't like the art & thought the stories were boring, so didn't collect these issues.

Fast forward to the late '90's - I looked at some of these issues at a local library, and thought they were alright. And, when the entire Marvel series was reprinted by Dark Horse (2002-2003), I bought these reprints & was able to revisit these later issues - and, I really enjoyed them! I guess I was looking at them from a different, older perspective. CM's artwork was interesting & unconventional, which may have been why I didn't like it as much back in the day.

To make an analogy, it's kind of the way I felt about one of my favorite '80's rock/pop groups, Men at Work. In the early '80's, they came out with two classic, iconic albums, Cargo & Business as Usual. Later, they came out with Two Hearts, an album I bought, listened to, & strongly disliked at the time. Flash forward to ten years later - I listened to some of the songs from Two Hearts again (after not having heard them for years), & really enjoyed these songs - this was despite having disliked them years earlier...

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    IG_2000 I also suggest reading them all. If you're really trying to narrow it down to avoid reading the whole run, I can tell you what I liked and didn't like about the ones I have so far (I just started collecting this series, I have them all up to 23 right now), but there would necessarily be spoilers involved and I'm not sure if you want that. I also have a volume of Dark Horse's Star Wars Classic TPB's (and two issues) which you were talking about first, but it sounds like a different volume then you have. Let me know if you don't care about spoilers, otherwise just let me know your favorite characters and other things about Star Wars and I will try to recommend based on that.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Reading them all is good, but I still feel "Star Wars 80: Ellie" is not only the best of the bunch, but a very good story by any measure. The final pages should be used in classes to teach how to tell a story through images and visual metaphor.

pronker and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm currently in the process of reading them, and having just gotten up to the adaptation of TESB, I gotta agree with other users that the Valance stories and the Tagge stories rock. I can't wait to see what the writers do with the remainders of the Tagge family after TESB.

21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Read them all. They're fantastic. Even the absurd ones.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, the "silliness" in the Marvel Star Wars stories greatly contributes to their charm, methinks. In my humble opinion, one of the greatest thing with SW is that you can write either as hard sci-fi or more lighthearted fantasy. Both can work. If you like, you can make it sword and sorcery in space. Furthermore, silly situations appear in real-life, don't they? So why not in the Star Wars universe?

jSarek and pronker like this.