main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Goodbye -- ROTJ AU

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Tarado, May 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
  2. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
  3. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    Actually, based on the information Madine was given, that Luke went to face Vader, he cannot assume Luke went to *surrender* to Vader. My first thought as Madine would have been that he went to try to vanquish Vader, duel with him perhaps, in the hope of killing him. So, assume when Madine knows he went to surrender, he must have some information aside from what Leia said.

So, where did he get that information? Is he a traitor of sorts? :eek:

Or did Leia state that he went to surrender, but you just didn't put it so in this fic? ;)

-Red

4. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    Because they wouldn't assume anyone woule go before Vader and the Emperor for anything but to be questioned.

And Leia can't tell them he went to kill Vader, it's not true. She can't tell them that he went to save Vader who's his father.

5. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
  6. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
  7. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
  8. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    I disagree - about their last and only jedi, I think they would assume just that - that he went to try to kill him. That's what Ben and Yoda tell him, that's what everybody would tell him, I think, and that would be the natural thing to assume. Nobody in their right mind would *go* to Vader out of their free will, to be questioned. If he had been taken there, it's another matter. But he just went.

9. Tarado

Tarado Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2001
    Hah! here's where it gets interesting :)

Alien: Madine distrusts Luke--hence the reference to the fact that Vader was once a Jedi too. He's not thinking that Luke went to Vader to be questioned. He's thinking Luke purposefully BETRAYED them. Don't worry--it will make sense later.

I'm going to have some more up today, so don't you fret! :) :)

10. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    Okeyday, everyone-- here's some more story!

:)

Leia finished drying her long, dark hair with a towel and began combing it out in front of the mirror of the small cabin in the Mon Calamarian cruiser. It had been allotted to her to allow her to freshen up and get some rest, for which she felt unspeakably grateful.

The Alliance ships were due to pull out of Endor's star system in three or four hours at the latest, because, despite their victory, the Empire was still at large and a very real threat. Normally, Leia had a part in overseeing some of the tasks involved with evacuations, but apparently Mon Mothma felt sorry for her after Madine had raked her over the coals, because she arranged for Leia to take much-needed refuge in one of the ship's private cabins and reclaim her sanity.

Leia frowned at her reflection--the dark circles under her eyes and the pale appearance of her skin. She really did need some sleep.

Han had shuttled back to Endor less than an hour before to get the FALCON and take care of some last minute things. Leia knew the real motive behind Han's returning to the moon, besides seeing that his ship got repaired, was to try to maintain the hope that Luke was still alive, still coming. Han tried to be strong for her, but Leia could see the dark expression in his eyes, his suspicions that he didn't voice, the knowledge that they would have to face the facts that Luke might not be coming back.

Leia sighed tiredly. She was so exhausted and drained that she could not even allow the doubts to sink in. Her mind kept arguing that Luke was alive. He had to be alive.

Quickly plaiting her hair into a simple braid, Leia eyed the cabin's narrow bunk. She need some sleep if she was going to continue to function with any degree of civility. She took one last disgusted look in the mirror and padded softly over to the bed and laid down, eventually drifting off into an uneasy sleep.

11. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Thank you for posting! Poor Leia. At least her mind is telling her Luke is alive so I have a small hope. You'll let us know soon where Luke is won't you? Please?

12. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Yes, I must know.

13. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Hate to be the cynical one but the title does say Goodbye . . . That doesn't sound too optimistic from my perspective :(

14. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    Thankyou for posting! :D

15. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Goodbye to um.. evil, is what the title means, i swear it, LUKIE LIVES!!! (Heh, great post Tarado, poor Leia! :()

16. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001

Han tried to keep from pacing as he watched repairs being made on the FALCON, but with little success. Another steamy, humid morning on Endor was underway, and the Ewok's primitive village had become a buzzing metropolis full of tired pilots, crew, and repair teams who had set up shop.

"Hey buddy!" a familiar voice called. Han turned to see Lando Calrissian striding toward him through a crowd of milling Ewoks and droids. "You look like you just swallowed a clawed pitten. What's wrong?"

Han gave him a humorless glare. "I'm waiting for my poor SHIP to be repaired," he growled pointedly. "I hate seeing someone else working on it."

Calrissian chuckled and clapped his friend on the shoulder. "Why don't I put you out of your misery. Come over to the transports and help me do something useful."

Han glowered, but started walking. "Since when have you become Mister Responsible?" he muttered, frowning.

"Hey, pal," Lando held up his hands in surrender, "I'm the one trying to be friendly, here. Besides, they need all hands. The higher-ups figure to be out of here before 1600."

Solo focused his glare on the trees ahead of him and muttered, "I know."

Calrissian recognized the reason his friend was so melancholy and he swallowed hard. "Look," he said. "I heard about Luke this morning, that he's gone MIA. Antilles filled me in. I'm sorry."

Han sighed in defeat, scowling at the ground. "We're pulling out less that twenty-four hours after the battle. That hardly helps his chances of being found."

"They're doing everything they can," Calrissian argued. "But you know the longer the Alliance stays here, the more it runs the risk of being under attack. The Empire is far from dead.

"I know he was a good friend," Lando added quietly. "Hey--he was my friend too." He trailed off, his words spent. Han couldn't help but notice that Lando had just discussed Luke in the past tense.

*You know it too,* he thought to himself. *The kid's not coming back.*

*Stars, how am I going to tell Leia?*

Swallowing a lump in his throat, Han nodded, acknowledging and thanking his friend for his sympathy. "We're at war," he reminded Lando tightly. "Casualties happen. Sometimes a little too close to home."

"There's still a chance he could be alive," Cloud City's baron administrator added feebly. "After all, if there was anyone I would trust to get out of a tight spot, it would be Luke."

Han nodded mechanically. "Yeah." He took a deep breath and glanced around. "So...where are these transports you were talking about?"

Lando balked at the sudden change of subject. "Umm...over here. Follow me."

They had barely begun to walk when, over the din of the humans, aliens, and droids, a voice called, "General Solo! General Solo!"

Han turned to face a young Rebel officer, fresh off the B-wing, his bright, panicky expression directed at him and Lando.

"Yeah?" Han's brow furrowed in concern. "What's wrong?"

"Sir," the young man saluted grimly. Belatedly, Solo returned the gesture. "We found something, sir--in the woods about four kilometers away from here."

Han's blood turned to ice. "What is it?" he asked through stiff lips. He thought he knew already, but he kept shoving that cold knowledge to the back of his mind.

"I think you'd better come with me, sir," the young officer insisted. "We can explain on the way."

Without further questions, Han followed the Rebel at a brisk pace to the sleek black vehicle humming impatiently for them.

The pilot of the transport was solemnly quiet and they took off without another word.

"So, do you want to tell me what's going on?" Han called over the rushing wind of the speeder. No one answered for a few moments and Solo could see through the thick foliage that they were coming up on something. In a matter of seconds, it became evident that what they were looking at was the burned-out hulk of an Imperial shuttle, its bulk lying co

17. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Eeek! Is Luke dead? Yeah, I kinda of thought about Luke being dead when I saw the title again after reading the story.

18. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Luke_and_Mara_4ever Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! LUKE!!!! LUKE!!!!!!!

(note: I am highly exciteable)

19. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    OO! Luke can't be dead!!! OMG! This is sooooooooooooo cool! Can't wait for more!

AngelQueen

20. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I cannot handle Luke being dead. If he is, I may have to say goodbye, to avoid any further emotional trama. Sniff, sniff.

21. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    This is such an amazing story! I hope you post more soon!

22. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I knew when I started reading that Goodbye would most likely not have a happy ending. *sniff* I need a tissue.

Very good writing. Han is going to have a very tough time telling Leia.

23. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    LUKE... dead? :( :( :( He better be alive and kickin! *looks fierce* Post more soon Tarado, or I'll die, I swear it ;)

24. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    Well, since I couldn't bear to lose any loyal readers due to emotional trauma, and I certainly don't want any deaths on my hands, I decided I'd better post tonight. :D

BTW...I will issue a kleenex warning for this next part!

Enjoy :) :) :)

As Han docked the FALCON in Home One's main hangar bay, he noted the despondent quiet that seemed to permeate the whole of the ship. Even Threepio's chattiness was muted, a fact that Solo defined as a minor miracle.

He knew that Leia was waiting for him in the docking bay. When he had returned from the crash site, Lando had relayed the earnest message she had sent, questioning whether or not they'd gained any clues to Luke's whereabouts. His heart ached with dread for what he was about to tell her.

"Finish shutting down," he told Chewie, getting up from the pilot's seat.

As the ramp lowered, Han was not surprised to find Leia there, waiting. Her face was red and splotchy, probably from crying. She was so beautiful and looked so fragile. The last thing in the worlds he ever wanted to do was hurt her futher.

He stopped at the bottom of the ramp, rooted to his place. Their eyes met, and silently she took in his dejected, haggard expression.

She knew Luke hadn't come back; knew he was gone. But a part of her needed the absoluted certainty of the truth. "Is...he..." She choked, unable to say it.

"He's dead, Leia," Han answered her. He was startled at how blunt his words sounded: They seemed to strike her like a physical blow. He hated himself for saying it, hated himself for hurting her.

Slowly, he brought out the cylindrical metal object, charred and damaged, its once glossy metal casing now dulled and blackened with soot, but it was no less recognizable for that. Solo held Luke's lightsaber out at arm's length to her.

She eyed it like a serpent, but Han could see the awful realization set in, the way her shoulders seemed to slump and her eyes deaden. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, feeling stinging moisture spring unbidden into his eyes. "There was nothing that could have been done" His arm dropped limply to his side.

Leia's face glistened with silent tears. Han scarcely noticed the tears flowing down his own face as he crossed the three strides to the princess and wrapped his arms around her thin shoulders.

She collapsed in his embrace, her broken sobs muffled against his shoulder.

"He's gone," she cried, her grief rising like an overflowing well. The Empire and this hateful war had taken everyone she had ever loved or cared about away from from her. She'd tried to be strong and go on like she should. But losing her best friend--her brother she'd just found--was too much. "I can't believe he's gone."

As they cried, Chewie strode slowly, mournfully, from the ship and up to them, his long, hairy arms encircling them both in a sorrowful embrace.

The three of them huddled and cried for a long time, grieving the loss of a dear friend.

Twilight was glaring through the large transparisteel windows of the ornately decorated suite. The humming presence of the force field shielding the window seemed to enhance the glare of the planet's orange sun, as it was setting behind the tall buildings. The low buzzing noise was the only sound in the room, next to the quiet breathing.

She sat stiffly, in an uncomfortable, straight-backed chair made of expensive Maeleon hair. As was much of the rest of the furniture in the room, including the bed and the thick, plush carpet, it was black.

There were other, far more comfortable places to sit, but she preferred to stay alert and remain as close to the elegant, oversized bed as possible.

Her small, compact blaster rested in her lap, its safety still on, but ready to be used at a moment's notice. Not that it was necessary.

He wouldn't be going anywhere.

She duly considered this particular humiliation the price to be paid for her failure. She supposed she should be grateful

25. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Soooo... I'm guessing Vader's dead... :( Well at least Luke's alive!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.