main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Goodbye -- ROTJ AU

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Tarado, May 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    100 posts!

2. Tarado

Tarado Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2001
    I foresee a post appearing here very soon... :)

going.....

up!

3. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    I'm ready for a post! Please? :D

4. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    His hard gaze was level with her narrowed green eyes, the jewel color of those eyes offsetting brilliant red-gold tresses tumbling down her shoulders. There was a thin sheen of perspiration on her brow, furrowed in concentration, and Luke could feel the beads of sweat running down his own face, plastering his hair, stringy and damp, to his forehead. Their sabers were locked together in a hissing standstill, and, except for the visible trembling in Luke's taut muscles, neither of htem moved.

The high, bright sunlight coming through the throne room's windows contradicted the darkened anxiety in Luke's heart as he held the gaze of this fiery young woman. He did not want to fight her. Indeed, his saber seemed glued in his hand with a force against his own will, and he shied away from this weapon of his own creation as the very thing that would bring about his downfall.

To the Dark Side.

Once, the lightsaber had represented to him everything good that he fought for, but now, he longed to drop the glowing blade to the ground and watch, mesmerized, as the laser beam melted into the stone flooring, sinking into the depths of the palace--away from Luke and the dangerous power he wielded; the power that the Emperor was trying to twist and mold into darkness.

It had been three days. Three days of exhausting exercises and relentless battling. Three days without sleep, or food, or water. The grazing blaster burn on his shoulder, still aching furiously, had not been treated, and he had not yet been able to pause long enough to attempt any of the limited healing techiniques Yoda had taught him. He was shaky with exertion and fatigue, and his head pounded, constantly now, with every thunderous beat of his heart. His dry mouth felt like cotton, and the world seemed dimmer around him--fuzzy at the edges. Palpatine obviously enjoyed pushing his new pupil to his limits, and Luke was definitely feeling the strain. He was waiting now for either the dreaded feeeling of a burning blade cutting through his flesh signifying he'd lost his concentration and fallen prey to his designated opponent, or for the cool, sinking depths of unconsciousness to claim him, signifying the simple fact that his body and mind had just given out, no longer able to take that strain and exhaustion. Fleetingly, he hoped for the latter.

With a chilling glare, the young woman stepped back away from him, deactivating her lightsaber and attaching it to her belt. She turned her head toward Palpatine's throne as if taking in some unspoken command while Luke deactivated his own saber, the weapon seemingly molded into his grip, its contours filling his hand with the familiarity of its weight.

"And how are you enduring these battles so far, my young apprentice?" palpatine asked, his voice traced with amusement. Standing stoically next to his throne, Vader was a motionless statue, the black, glossy eyes boring into Luke's face.

Luke still felt the determination flowing through him, feeding him a sort of renewed energy. "Well," he answered quietly, "physically, I might be about to collapse onto the floor here, but mentally I am no closer to turning to the Dark Side than I was three days ago."

The Emperor didn't even bat an eye. "Then perhaps your next lesson should be on endurance." He chuckled. "Of course, you are wrong when you say that you are no closer to turning to the Dark Side." He got to his feet and slowly started toward Luke.

"By the time you have completely turned, you will not even know it has happened. Right and Wrong will no longer have any meaning to you--your whole world will be completely twisted, mutilated, and reshaped to fit a more useful, more dangerous mold." He stopped, his face mere inches away from Luke's, his features wrinkling into a horrible smile. "The only thing you will care about is serving your Master."

Palpatine reached out one white, papery hand from the yards of black robe surrounding him and clawed figers grasped Luke's chin before the Jedi could turn away in disgust. Th

5. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    Ummm.......up?

6. TorynFarr

TorynFarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 27, 2000
    wow, i just found this thread! its great!! :D

UP!!!

7. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Wonderful post Tarado, poor Lukie dearest! you MUST post more soon!

8. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    UP UP UP!
    :D

9. crystal417

Sep 20, 2000
    And up some more!

10. sith_lady17

sith_lady17 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2001
    Great post! Up!

11. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    Loving it.

Upsin

12. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    Your sig was sung by Nat King Cole---very cool :)

Just going up

13. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    And the further continuance....

14. Twinnie

Twinnie Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 5, 2001
    I gotta shout, sorry.

NOOOO !!! Don't make Luke turn ! Don't make Ani stay a slave ! NOOOOOOO !!!!

... please ? ...

15. crystal417

Sep 20, 2000
    To the top!

16. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    Thank you TorynFarr, Padowan Lunetta, Crystal, Sith_lady, Ewan-Kenobi, Mutley, Jedi Gryph Grin, Twinnie, and everyone else for reading! You guys are terrific! :D

I will post more tomorrow. :D

17. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    And here it is! :D

Despite the efficient accommodations of the Rebel ship, Han had insisted on sleeping on the FALCON in its temporary home in the cavernous main hangar bay of the Mon Cal cruiser. Leia and Luke used to constantly joke that Solo felt safer in that rusty bucket of bolts than he would secured in the galaxy's tallest tower, made of the strongest materials, bristling with weaponry and surrounded by legions of elite fighters.

'Of course I would,' Han had retorted indignantly. 'The FALCON flies.'

Leia was now unspeakably grateful for the safety and seclusioin that the ship and its captain offered as she lay slumped over the game table in the corner of the FALCON'S lounge, the holographic creatures washed out by a distraught princess' dark head pillowed in her arms. Her thin shoulders shook with quiet sobs.

Solo entered the lounge, bearing a glass of water and a troubled expression. "Here you go, sweetheart," he said quietly, setting the glass on top of a multi-appendaged blue creature.

Leia raised her head, swiping at the tears on her splotchied cheeks with the back of her hand, and reached for the drink. "Thank you." She took a small sip of the bland water as Han slid into the seat next to her.

"Are you going to be okay?" he asked quietly, his hand reaching up to softly rub her back.

Leia nodded quickly, wiping again at uncooperative eyes. she attempted a weak smile and brushed disdainfully at her falling hair and streaked face. "I must be quite a sight." The sleeves of her white senatorial gown were damp with tears. She dabbed at them uselessly. "The Rebel princes," she said quietly, "senator, freedom fighter, the I-never-get-upset figurehead, the I'm-always-strong image..." hot tears sprang to her eyes again. "Oh, stars, how am I going to be able to face everyone?" she broke down into a new round of tears and Han sliped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. Leia melted into his embrace.

Solo knew just how hard she had avoided everyone these past few days--not an easy accomplishment in a ship like HOME ONE. He had worried about her when she never emerged from her small cabin, not to eat, not even to do her duty to the Alliance and attend her meetings. She was taking Luke's death extremely hard.

Behind Han, there was a low growl, and Solo twisted his head to see Chewbacca standing unobtrusively in the entrance, Lando jsut behind him. It was time to go.

"Okay, Chewie," Han responded, waving them away with his free hand. "We'll be there in a few minutes." The wookiee grunted and he and Lando left the ship.

Leia's small hand balled into a fist and it slid down to rest over her heart, her face still buried in his shoulder. "It's like I have never cried over andything before--Alderaan, the Death Star, Bespin. I never had time--but now I'm falling apart at the seams!"

"It's okay," Han soothed, stroking her long, soft hair. "Everyone has their days." But she would not be consoled.

"I never even knew he was my brother until later," she went on in a muffled voice. "But now that he's gone, it's like something has been torn out of me, right here. I feel so hollow and empty."

Han didn't know what to say to that. Luke and Leia's strong connection through the Force was probably something he'd never understand, much less be able to sympathize with. He drew her closer to him, sobs racking her thin frame.

Eventually, she raised her head, swollen eyes searching his features, hands frantically wiping away the flood of tears. Solo took her face in his hands and leaned forward, gently kissing her forehead. "It's the only part that's dry," he quipped softly, giving her a lopsided smile as he wiped her tears away with his thumbs.

Leia's hands came up to his, pleading eyes sitll boring into him. "Do you still love me, Han?"

The question caught him by surprise. "Why in the worlds wouldn't I?" he asked.

Her dark eyes were still searching. "Even when the galaxy's fost feared, most hated villain turns out t

18. LovelyLea

Jan 17, 2001
    Great!! But sooooo SAD!

19. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001

Well grab a kleenex box, because here's some more! sorry that this part is kind of short--it was meant to go with yesterday's post, but I got tired of typing. :D

Please read and review for two reasons: 1) I'll love you forever, and 2) I'll be so motivated to post more! :D (I hope that's some incentive! :) )

The Grand Audience chamber was nearly filled to capacity with Rebels, all attending this small but sincere funeral service to the fallen fighters of the Alliance in their most recent and cosliest battle. The atmosphere of the hall was subdued and sad. for all the necessities of this war, the glory of its heroes and the triumph of winning, there was tragedy too. Leia blinked back a new onslaught of tears that threatened to fall as they entered the large assembly room.

She quickly regained control over her emotions, as she saw General Rieekan approaching them, smiling kindly. "Solo," he greeted Han with a nod and a handshake. "Princess." He rested sympathetic eyes on her and said, "please accept my condolences over the loss of Commander Skywalker. He was a born fighter and a gifted pilot..." he paused. "And I know he was a good friend."

Leia nodded, swallowing. "Thank you, General." She sighed, tears rising to the surface again. The fact that Luke had been her brother and the Dark Lord her father would never be known. The secret would be buried with them.

Mon Mothma intercepted Han and Leia as they made their way across the auditorium. "How are you doing?" she asked the princess, giving her a brief hug.

Leia tried to keep her voice under control as she answered, "I'm fine, thank you." She knew her bluff was obvious.

"I was sorry to hear about Luke," Mon Mothma said, her eyes glistening with unshed tears, her expression one of genuine sympathy. "He was a wonderful young man and will be sorely missed."

Leia didn't trust herself to speak. The Alliance leader patted her hand. "And I do want to apologize for General Madine and his behavior in the debriefing."

Leia nodded, not really wanting to talk about it. Beside her, Han bristled.

"It's difficult for him to accept the Jedi and the daunting power they wield. I think it frightens him. He's always considering--as all of us must--how that power can be distorted into something horrible and evil."

She didn't say it, Leia thought. But she didn't have to. *Like Palpatine and Vader. She's comparing Luke to them--even after all he's done, they can't leave it alone.*

"I think Madine forgets," Mon Mothma went on, "that that power can be used just as well for good too." She smiled reassuringly and Leia swallowed a lump in her throat. "My dear, I know Luke was one of those noble people, and there's no one I would have trusted more with that power than him."

Leia tried to nod again, and thank the other woman, but the words wouldn't come out. Han steered her like a lost child through a crowd of milling people and aliens, nodding at several of them as they offered meaningful condolences, their faces all blending together until she felt powerless to correctly identify any of them. She finally glimpsed Lando and Chewie, seated down close to the front, beckoning to them. Save for Han's guiding hand at her elbow, she felt numb as they carefully made their way down to the waiting seats.

"Are you okay?" Han asked, leaning over her, warm brown eyes dark with concern.

Stars, how she loved him. Leia tightened her grip on his hand; strong, calloused fingers twined with hers. "I'll be fine," she whispered.

They sat down in the rigid, uncomfortable seats while several of the Rogues approached them with their inelegant, but heartfelt offerings of sympathy.

Afterward, Leia would not recall a single word of the funeral service, but only that it seemed wholly inadequate to be a closing for Luke. Unfinished.

*My brother. Lost and found.*

*And lost again.*

The choking tears seemed to lodge in her throat. This was the way of war, the ordered price for freedom. She

20. LovelyLea

Jan 17, 2001
    You're right! That WAS sad! But good anyway. Now, let's get to some happier stuff! You're doing great!

21. LovelyLea

Jan 17, 2001
  22. sith_lady17

sith_lady17 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2001
    Poor Leia... :_|

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    So sad. Poor Luke and Leia.

24. crystal417

Sep 20, 2000
    That was sad.

25. Tarado

Apr 6, 2001
    Whew! I just got back from vacation, but I have been writing busily, so maybe I can post before I go on vacation again on wednesday. :)

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! :D [blows kisses]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.