main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Goodbye, trucker!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 18, 2015.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Learning material for this thread: Self-Driving Trucks Are Going to Hit Us Like a Human-Driven Truck

Yes, I'm linking to Medium because I'm a hipster. Sue me.

Corporate monsters like Google and humanoid monsters like Elon Musk seem convinced that self-driving cars are right here. And with self-driving cars, come self-driving trucks. How does that affect us, true blooded Americans? When, when the map of the most common 'Murikan job looks like this...

[​IMG]

...I'd say it affects us [face_flag] quite a bit (also, lol at FL, who do they think they are with their schools?). Why aren't we seeing revolts like in ye olde Industrial Revolution? Why isn't Google HQ burning down as we speak?

ITT we mostly marvel at self-driving cars, because yay retrofuture, but also post apocalyptic Peak Trucker predictions.

2. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Probably because I had no idea how many truck drivers there are. Although now that you bring it up it does make sense that there would be quite a few.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lmao that the most common profession in florida probably has significant overlap with the most common reason for suicide in florida

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm glad self-driving cars are the wave of the future instead of, say, far cheaper, easier, more environmentally friendly, robust public transportation in every large U.S. city. Thanks, techno-libertarian Silicon Valley billionaires! I look forward to not being able to sue Uber after an accident because the car's computer brain is an independent contractor.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I guess this means the decline of Maveriks and Flying Js.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not like suing real people who cause an accident is any easier. I've been involved in two cases where another driver hit us and each case took a couple of years and was the results weren't as good as we wanted. Considering the driverless cars are safer, I'll take them over people any day.

Furthermore, at least when to CA, the left has a lot of responsibility when it comes to why public transportation sucks. They'd rather focus their efforts on destroying any attempt made by a company to send shuttles/buses for their employees because railing against silicon valley is easier than fixing crappy public transportation.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My comment about Uber was a criticism of the legal gymnastics it uses to avoid liability, not an endorsement of our civil justice system or a comment about the safety of driverless cars.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The self driving truck will require millions of miles of testing, it'll be at least another decade before any driver loses a job to one.

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    google will eventually get its butt kicked when all the car companies dump on them and start advertising how good the thrill of driving actually is. They will basically say that they want to take jobs and your fun away.

Also self driving cars can't tell you whats going on with the road. For example if a tie rod is loose and you start to pull it won't know what is wrong. Plus it won't know about a flat tire on a trailer unless all the tires have sensors. It won't know if the wind is dangerous or when to pull over.

Why cause the trucking companies that buy these asenine things will be extremely cheap and not fix anything cause the computer told me nothing was wrong.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's all about traveling the country with your pet monkey in search of adventure. Plus the bonus of up to $39,000 annually. Because that's the American dream.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Why would they? GM are one of the largest investors in this technology. They can easily start producing self-driving cars instead of redneck-powered cars.

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You'll be used as a segue whether you like it or not!

13. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This isn't a Jabbadabbadoo thread! I've been bamboozled!

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Big Ben, this here's the Duck, looks like we got us a convoy.

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    **** i just bought shares in this - there goes the retirement fund
    [​IMG]