main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Goofy changes in adaptations of the films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Vthuil, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I was randomly browsing Star Wars-related sites through Google when I suddenly ran across this blog post about the old Marvel adaptation of ROTJ: Yoda Doesn't Die? From my own reading of it, it's not clear if the comic actually omitted Yoda's death or not - it's possible that the bit in there about a "much-needed rest" is meant to refer to his death - but it's still bizarre that such an important moment would be at best treated very obscurely.

So, I'm curious: are there any other weird changes like this in the various book/comic/whatever adaptations of the Star Wars films out there? Preferably ones that aren't just part of the format like video games resolving everything in fights or comics having everyone talk up a storm.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The Marvel adaptation of ROTJ has the unmasking scene, but it doesn''t actually show Vader's unmasked face, if that makes any sense. Since it was released before the film, it would make sense that the comic creators would only have what Lucasfilm would give them, because some secrets would be on a "need to know" basis, like Yoda's death or who the "other" was.

To be fair, the kid's read-along tape-record with book version of ROTJ omitted Yoda's death as well, probably because it too was being worked on before ROTJ's release, and the creators of that weren't told he would die, as well.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda's death is mentioned, but it is a combination of leaving that for the film and because Marvel editorial was only leaving Williamson and Milgrom four issues to adapt the film, corners had to be cut. It's happened with other adaptations. With regards to Vader's true face, I believe it was left for the film, but it was also due to the fact that they were still working on how he would look without it. The way we see it in the adaptation for TESB was how Lucas wanted it to look in the film, but Kershner went ahead and showed us more than that. So Lucas and Marquand were working out how to create a middle ground for Anakin's scarred visage. The adaptation had to be made in advance of the film's completion.

4. miketarkin

miketarkin Jedi Knight

Sep 14, 2006
    That's actually my blog you found that on. Thanks for checking it out!

I know there were all sorts of crazy deadlines and lack of clear information provided to the licensees that would explain why things like this happened-purple Yoda from earlier editions of the ESB adaption spring to mind, but what I found so odd about Yoda's "rest" is they wrapped it up in one yellow word pane. Arguably they could have done it with one panel of artwork/dialogue. Whatever the logic behind the decision, it's a huge glossing over of such an important event in Luke's journey.

That said, the Marvel run of Star Wars comics is fascinating and alot of fun.

5. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Maybe you'll know what my name is a reference to? ;)

6. miketarkin

miketarkin Jedi Knight

Sep 14, 2006
    Ha ha! Of course! Love your cybernetic eyewear!

7. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm impressed! Stay classy, my friend.