main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Goose Bumps" moments

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Eternity85, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Alright.. I was curious about what moments in the saga that has the greatest potential to give you - the watcher - the famous "Goose bumps"; or the hair-raising effect that someone will call it. This of course can be different from time to time, depending on many different factors, but there are always some moments that have this recurrent effect on us; on the top of my head:

1. Luke looking out on the Twin Suns on Tatooine while the musics playing (a short, but beautiful and spiritual moment)
    2. The Yoda vs Sidious fight right when they cut into the battle as the senate pod in the center is raised upwards (real thrilling moment as you observe the supreme representatives of light and dark clashing togheter)
    3. Padme and Anakin end scene of AOTC --> A very fateful moment where we know whats coming. Really sad and tragic..

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    ROTS - Obi-Wan appears at the top of the gangplank of Padme's ship at the Mustafar landing platform. The scene I'd waited nearly 25 years to see was about to kick off.

3. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Obi Wan vs Vader round 2
    Vader's revelation, actually the entire duel.
    Luke's fury to Vader's redemption.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So many. The biggest one for me is the final confrontation at the end of ROTJ, when the Emperor continues to pelt Luke and Vader finally decides to save his son. Possibly the most powerful moment in the entire saga, IMO. And obviously the ?I am your father? moment in TESB. Yoda?s death in ROTJ is quite a strong scene, too.

Another two scenes that gave me a serious case of the goosebumps the first time I saw them, and continue to do so today, was the scene when Palpatine reveals himself to Anakin, and the entirety of the scene when Windu ?unmasks? Palpatine. Actually, ROTS has a lot of goosebump-giving moments, to be fair.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "I am a Jedi, like my father before me".

Gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it, and now with the PT completed, it's even better!

6. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I experienced two goose-bump moments during the Operahouse exchange. They are as follows:

1. "Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midicholorians to create...life."

Uhhhhhh...did Lucas just subvert the oft-maligned Virgin Birth conceit from TPM? Uhhhh...does this mean that instead of being sired by "God", Anakin was in fact sired by the "Devil"? Uhhh...does that mean Qui-Gon was the butt of a particularly mordant joke? Uhhhh...uhhhhmmmm...woah!

2. "He taught his apprentice everything he knew..."

Uhhhhhh...did Lucas just imply that Palpatine is Anakin's metaphysical father? Uhhhh...does this mean that when he drones on about "it is your destiny," he has it on good authority? Uhhh...does that mean that the Throne Room temptation is in actuality a family reunion, between a son, a father, and...a grandfather? Uhhhh...uhhhhmmmm...woah!

It's a miracle the medics didn't have to haul my ghost-white tuckus out of the theater.

7. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Love this.

I still think its a shame they didn't go with the original script where palps outright tells anakin he could think of him as a father and anakin replies that's impossible.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I much prefer the way they went with - it leaves open the possibility that Palpatine is lying (& later developments indicate that he was), plus there's only room for one "I am your father" moment in any saga.

Same deal with Palpatine originally telling Anakin that Dooku arranged for Shmi to be kidnapped by the Tuskens. Everything doesn't have to be connected, the credibility of the story would fall apart.

9. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    The one that immediately leaps to mind from recent times would be the first time I saw ROTS. When Anakin yells "LIAR!" to Padme. You know he's about to turn on her and its chilling.

From a dramtic performance point-of-view, so many things in the newer movies were deliberately understated. So to then see such an explosion of anger from Anakin, for really the first time verbally, its quite a moment. And it hammered home to me that Christensen really had the character. He looks like he's bordering on the psychotic in that moment.

I also think for new audiences watching the films in order, its a truly heartbreaking moment. Up until then, you'd realise and have accepted that Anakin has turned to the devil and done some terrible things - but you know he's in theory doing it with good intentions. And movie cliche would hint to you that he would surely come to his senses. That you see him so obviously and so suddenly about to turn on his wife - dismissing his only conceivable saviour in the process - it acts as the shocking confirmation that the Anakin we knew is no more.

I can't tell you how much I love the portrayal of Anakin in these scenes on Mustafar. As another poster said, you wait so long to see such things, and you imagine them in your head for such a long period, they actually have the capacity to disappoint more than they otherwise would because of this. But in these moments, watching the film for the first time, inwardly, I could almost hear myself giggling like a child, I found them that rewarding and enthralling in equal measure.

10. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    TPM- When Qui-Gon is killed and a little later when he tells Obi-wan to train Anakin.

AOTC - Hate to say it but nothing really comes to mind.

ROTS - When Anakin looks out over Coruscant at the same time as Padme. Padme's emotional line "Anakin, your breaking my heart". When Anakin is on the ground by the lava screaming hatred toward Obi-wan who still replies with "love". Luke & Leia being born as Anakin is "reborn". The final scenes of Leia and Luke being delivered.

ANH - The twin sunset, Obi-Wan's introduction, "Hello there!".

ESB - Han put into carbon freeze. Luke/Vader revelation. Luke being saved by Lando and Leia. The final shot of the cast overlooking the galaxy.

ROTJ - Yoda's death. Luke getting shocked to death and helped by Vader. Vader's death scene. The final moments are all good, even in the SE. :)

John Williams score REALLY adds so much to many of these scenes.

11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    This is very true, for a chronological viewer. Considering the tone of the movies, you'd NEVER expect the main hero to become a villain. Yes, he has turned to the devil, but that happened towards the middle of the movie -plenty of time to come back (great structuring there, George!). The scene when Anakin pledges himself to the dark side isn't his actual turn: he just accepts the dark side as a necessary evil.
    However, as the second half of the movie progresses, he keeps falling and falling, and when we finally see him on Mustafar confronting Obi-Wan and Padme... that's when we realise that Anakin is gone. There's no going back, he's already lost. And that moment is turly heartbreaking!

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    For me it's:

1. The final words between Obi-Wan and Anakin on Mustafar-mainly From "Don't try it!" thru the end of it. The one line that really hits me is Vader's "I HATE YOU!" , but the whole thing there does it for me, up to the point of Obi-Wan leaving.

2. The last part of the Luke/Vader duel in ROTJ, right after "Perhaps SHE will...." Straight on to the cutting off of Vader's hand. The power and emotion in that scene, (not to mention the powerful score) and everything weighing on it: After all this time-this is the final standoff, the fate of the Sith, the Skywalkers and of the Galaxy is determined HERE...It is time to end it, once and for all...Powerful stuff.

3. Vader giving in to the good in him, and finally destroying the Emperor. Probably the strongest for me. I was too young for it at the time, but Oh, to have experienced seeing that in the theater with everyone else!!!

13. ShakTeeth

ShakTeeth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    "Began, this Clone War has" followed by the amazing scene of the clone troopers marching into the ships, and the Imperial March playing in the background.

The whole scene had such weight to it. You could feel the massive conflict that was about to be fought in the years to come, and the forshadowing to the Imperial Army was done very well. That scene always sticks out to me as one of the series strongest.

14. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    For me it's:

EP I: The moment when Padme kneels before Boss Nass to secure his assistance. Every time I watch TPM, I get a little lump in my throat, cause it's such a noble thing to do, and the juxtaposition of Portman's flat, regal reading of the line with the warmth of the sentiment that the line conveys makes me lose it. It's honestly like imagining E2R were to knock on your door and say, completely formally, 'You're the only person who can help me, so I'm going to get on my knees and beg now." There's just something about the powerful needing help that's emotionally affecting.

EP II: The whole "search for Zam" sequence. It's my favorite action "set piece" in the whole saga.

EP III: The tone poem at the end where everyone gets put into their places for the beginning of EP IV

EP IV: Luke looking out at the twin suns of Tatooine. Natch.

EP V: "That . . . is why you fail."

EP VI: Everything from Vader's realization that Luke is protecting his sister until Vader chucks the Emperor to oblivion. Johnny Williams' music here is Epic Win. And obviously if this isn't your primary goose bump moment from the episode, then the series as a whole hasn't fully achieved its goals, has it?

15. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    That's easy. being 7 years old in '77 see Darth Vader in ANH for the first time.

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    1. The end scene of ROTS. Powerful, beautiful and epic.

2. Duel of the Masters. The moment when Yoda and Palpatine rise up into the Senate chamber upon the Chancellor?s podium. You literally see the representation of the ?good? and the ?evil? battling within the seat of government. Then when Palpatine starts destroying it you get a sense that Yoda is attempting to ?defend? this Senate whilst Palpatine is systematically destroying it.

3. Birth of the Second Republic. The moment at the end of ROTJ when the galaxy is set on the path to liberation. The moment of the HAYDEN Anakin looking at Luke also brings the entire Saga full circle.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My biggest one: ROTJ. Luke calling for his father to help him, and Vader looking from Luke to the Emperor back to Luke again, and then finally, after a few tense minutes, picking up Palpatine and chucking him down the core.

That scene took from being an 11-year-old kid who kind of liked Star Wars to the massive fan that I am today.

18. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Luke: "I'm not afraid."

Yoda: "You will be....you will be."

I get major goosebumps everytime that I hear that.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Has anyone seen the youtube video where this scene is re-edited so that as the lightning is going on, Vader is flashing back to various scenes in the PT, including what happened to Mace? Not necessary at all, of course, because we all know the original ROTJ scene is fine without it, but it unexpectedly works really well.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That is a huge "goose bumps" moment for me; I actually consider that one shot, where Vader rears back right before picking up Palpatine, to be the climax of the Saga. And I've been meaning to check out that YouTube version of it just to see how well it works.

21. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    This.
    Every single time.

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    "Execute Order 66."

23. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    1. still to this day I get chills when I see the Mustafar scene after Kenobi slices off Vader's limbs

"I hate you!" (The intensity of Hayden's growl and those eyes)

2. when Palpatine/Sidious declares " I am the senate!"

3. ROTJ when Luke confronts Jabba and says: "Never the less, I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends...you can either profit from this or be destroyed" EPIC

4. The moment Darth Maul appeared behind Sidious in the hologram in TPM

24. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    "NEVER!!!"

Death of Padme/Birth of Vader/Birth of the Twins

The Immolation Scene

25. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Have u got a link?

Thread Status: