main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Ellen Joan Sparling

Ellen Joan Sparling Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2013
    Near the end, when the Death Star is manoeuvring to get a clear shot at the moon orbiting Yavin which houses the Rebel Base, they spend all that time faffing about, potentially giving the rebels a chance to launch their attack (or even potentially to evacuate) when really they don't need to.

I mean, what is the single most notable feature of the Death Star. It's main function. It's chief weapon.

It blows up planets.

So, why faff around waiting for a clear shot of the moon; why not just blow Yavin itself up 'cos that'll completely kill off anything on the moon anyway...

Also, if Princess Leia knew that the Falcon was being tracked, why did she take it straight to the rebel base? This might not be a plot hole as such, and more of a lesson to not let a teenager run your group of freedom fighters.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A gas giant is an order of magnitude (several, really) over a terrestrial planet like Alderaan. Maybe the Death Star just couldn't do it.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    EU has suggested that a planet killing shot takes so much power that not even a Death Star can fire a shot of that magnitude any more than once a day.

As for being tracked to Yavin, I think Leia was counting on being followed so the rebels could set up an ambush using the technical readouts to win the day. It was risky, but it paid off.

4. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I have a question:

The Emperor was keep up to date with what went on aboard the Death Star, right? I assume that once the Secret Rebel base on Yavin had been discovered someone would inform him of the good news. At that time who would that have been - Vader or Tarkin? Both?>

5. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I have another question:
    Do the rank bars on Imperial officers uniforms make sense. For example, Wookipedia says that Officer Cass has no rank. We can however clearly see his rank bar in the movie.

6. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I have a question that I have always wanted to ask but I guess I didn't have it in mind whenever I am on the forum. But how come in Return of the Jedi when Han Solo is unfrozen from the carbonite in Jabba's Palace why didn't he have his black vest on when in Empire Strikes Back he was frozen in carbonite wearing that vest? I had always wondered that cause I never understood why when I knew he had the black vest on when he got frozen.

7. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I can't find this mentioned anywhere. He would be kept up to date, yes.
    I know (in the EU) Tarkin prepared a message for the Emperor, found some time after the battle. In the other EU there might be another mention of this.

EDIT: After asking some others, it seems there's no concrete answer given in either the EU or the films.

They do, to a certain extent. In the films all we have is the ranks that are spoken within the film, compared to their rank bars. Here is a link to those.

Here's another link to more of the rank insignia. These are partially canon in the films (but they also draw on the EU).

He's not actually wearing a vest - it's a trick of the light. :)

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  8. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    He's not actually wearing a vest - it's a trick of the light. :)[/quote]

Really? Is that your way of saying you don't know the answer so you have to say something crazy like he wasn't wearing one. Because I know he did.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Watch it again, or look up some screencaps online. Han really wasn't wearing a vest.

10. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    No. A vest-like shadow appeared for a few seconds due to the lighting.
    Here's an article on that. :)

11. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Okay sorry that I didn't believe you at first but hey at least many others have felt he was wearing it even though it was just a trick of shadows and light. Still doesn't make much sense that he was wearing it throughtout the whole film and then they decided in that scene to take it off him.

12. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I have another question who designed the Millenium Falcon and why did they make it the way they did? I ask because while I love the ship I always felt the design was backwards that the back should be the front and vice versa.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The story I heard is that Lucas didn't like any of the concepts the artists had come up with, so he told them to make a hamburger and a pickle fly. Apparently he likes burgers with pickles on the side.

14. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Ralph McQuarrie designed it. The other concepts he came up with eventually became the blockade runner and other corvette-like craft. As Sarge said, GL told him to "make it look like a hamburger" or along those lines.

15. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Okay then but why have the front look as if its on the back and etc? I mean as I said sometimes I forget that the front isn't the thrusters of the ship but is the blue part on the back.

16. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    /\ The Falcon never looked backwards to me. The two frontal prongs are the "pointy end", and spaceships always fly pointy end first.

17. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Alot of people are always hating on the ewoks in ROTJ and I remember hearing that wookiees were considered to instead be the ones fighting the empire in ROTJ instead of the ewoks. Would wookiees vs. stormtroopers and etc would that have made those scenes more interesting? Even though its possible to make up for that they did it in Revenge of the Sith. But not my question would it have been interesting to do so in ROTJ?

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nah. The ground battle is close to irrelevant with the duel going on in the Throne Room...wouldn't have mattered if it was 'serious' or not if Luke had turned.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Except for the Naboo starfighters.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  20. Psmoke

Psmoke Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
    Yeah I have a question. The concept of "Sith" had been considered by Lucas for quite a while. However the word "Sith" was never used once in the original trilogy. Then for the prequels the Sith are a key part of the story. Wouldn't it have made sense for continuity purposes to use "Sith" in the original trilogy?

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, 1) Lucas was smart enough not to super-define things that happened in the prequels in the OT as a general rule and 2) it's in the OT novels.

Psmoke likes this.
  22. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    How come in Star Wars there aren't that many characters that are blondes? Most of the characters have brown or black hair.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    What is Luke, chopped liver? :p

24. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I never said there weren't blondes in Star Wars I just said there aren't many of them.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I know; I was kidding. ;)