main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I never really considered Luke as holding them in a high regard. He didn't seem to know much about them at all.

I'd think the average citizen probably didn't care too much. I'm sure the vast majority of citizens had never seen one and knew minimal about them. It was the senate and Republic politicians that interacted with them most, and when Palpatine, the leader that saw the Republic through its biggest crisis stands before the Senate and accuses the Jedi of treason, they Senate probably has no reason to doubt it.

There is also a cut scene in which Mon Mothma explains that the Republic senate knows where the real power is (Palpatine) and that they would do whatever it takes to share in it. So when Palpatine declares the Jedi to be traitors, many senators might have supported Palpatine just for the sake of getting on Palpatine's good side and hoping that it would result in political alliances.

More than that though, and I've brought this up in the TV forums, I would wonder if Palpatine ever revealed Anakin's role in Order 66 and in protecting Palpatine from Mace. It would probably go a long way toward convincing the Senate that the Jedi are traitors, if he can convince the Senate that there was one Jedi that refused to go along with the alleged treason plot and chose to remain "loyal" to the Republic.

Jedi Knight Fett and SlashMan like this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This is just a bit of a curiosity I've had for a while.

As everyone knows, Peter Cushing found the boots of his costume too small and uncomfortable, so in shots where you couldn't see his feet, he was wearing slippers. Are there any behind the scenes photos where you can see this? I don't know about any of you, but I just find the notion of the malevolent Grand Moff Tarkin wearing old grandpa slippers to be hilarious!

3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'ver seen a few like this:
    [​IMG]
    A more comfortable pair of shoes, no doubt, but negative on the slippers. Just like you, I'm curious to see that image as well.

BigAl6ft6 and timmoishere like this.
  4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    ^^^
    He looks ready for fox hunting. Tally ho!

BigAl6ft6, TaradosGon and timmoishere like this.
  5. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Much appreciated. But this question still remains: Was Luke blindly flying off to Dagobah with not a clue of where Yoda is? I cannot say the film gives much insight on this.

6. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    Yep your take on it matches with what someone else said. Yes it is true that Yoda brought down the X-wing in just the right place, but we must still ask: What exactly was Luke planning on doing? Blindly drifting over the planet with no precise coordinates?

Of course, this question is not significant at all and is a very minor, even annoying one. Still, it would be good to see how things like this fit together.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke trusted the Force to lead him to a planet that wasn't on the charts; why shouldn't he trust it to lead him to a teacher that wasn't on the sensors?

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Obi-Wan was the one that told him to go to Dagobah, my guess is that Luke figured that when he got there, either Obi-Wan would contact him again, or his instincts would lead him to Yoda. It's not really like he had many options other than to go to Dagobah based on unspecific guidance provided by Obi-Wan while Luke was seconds away from passing out, or just ignore the vision and not go.

9. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    On that basis we'd have to conclude that every time a Jedi wanders to an unknown planet to find a creature whose whereabouts is unknown, that something bizarre will happen to enable the finding of such creature. This seems unlikely. Can the Force be trusted upon to do this all the time. If so then why doesn't it allow every Jedi to win a battle.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Force doesn't will that the Jedi win every battle. That would lead them into pride and arrogance. And if the Force wills that a Jedi find a creature on an unknown planet in bizarre circumstances, that will happen. But if that's not the will of the Force, success will be most unlikely.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    in the terms of real world events, would the Galactic Civil War be depicted as the star wars version of World War II and if so would the clone wars be akin to say the american civil war and or WWI? if not what other parallels to our history could you see in the star wars movies?

12. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Just wondering, what scenes did Howard Cole play Vader in ROTJ? We have Dave Prowse for the majority of the role, Bob Anderson for the sword fights, and Craig Baron for the pickup shots of Vader exiting his shuttle on Endor.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To revive an old question that was never answered:

What was up with that?

14. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    Well, the Galactic Civil War would certainly be the equivalent of World War II in comparison with minor wars that have occurred previously in the galaxy.
    What I feel is a stronger analogy though is a connection between the Galactic Republic and the Roman Republic; and likewise the Galactic Empire with the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire came about as a quick transition from the Republic, just like the Galactic Empire did.
    And consider the name Palpatine. It sounds vaguely Roman/Imperial.

15. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Its not explained in any of the films, so here's my question: exactly when did Vader learn Luke was his son? I know he sensed his Force powers during the Death Star battle, but we never got a clear explanation otherwise. Neither version of the hologram scene in "Empire" work either, since Vader already knew of Luke by that point. Did Lucas ever go into this from another official source?

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Heh, it's usually the other way around - someone starts a thread that really just needs a question here - but this question actually does have its own thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/when-exactly-did-vader-find-out-that-luke-was-his-son.50016144/

Short answer is that GL never really answered the question, just confused matters a bit by changing the dialogue between Vader & Palps in ESB - which still isn't 100% conclusive. Vader's actual discovery of Luke's identity was only addressed in detail by EU sources.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, specifically, which shows that Vader's surprise in ESB is genuine.

However, it, and other EU sources, show that Vader does find out the name of the man who destroyed the Death Star prior to this (in line with ESB's "that is the system! and I'm sure Skywalker is with them- set your course for the Hoth system") and even, that he knows Luke's a farmboy from Tatooine. It is only the precise nature of their relationship that has eluded Vader, until Palpatine clarifies it.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So I was just thinking about something a little bit ago
    In ROTJ, Luke says to Vader something like "You were once Anakin Skywalker", however... did he ever even hear his father's original name? When was the name first mentioned in the OT. I don't remember Obi-Wan mentioning Anakin's name when he told/lied to Luke about his father... so when was the name first mentioned?

19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    It was in the Dagobah conversation, Obi-Wan mentions the name several times:

Seagoat likes this.
  20. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    That also brings up the question of whether Luke knew his father's name in the first place.

21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I've thought about that too - I suspect he did, it was just never mentioned in the films. It's possible he was told a false name (to prevent him discovering some of the truth), but it's extremely unlikely that he was never told a name at all.
    Obi-Wan's first mention of Anakin's name is so casual, and Luke's reaction so straightforward, that I think it's safe to say that Luke already knew the name.

Incidentally, GL had cemented the name of Luke's father as early as 1977, before he merged the character with Vader:

- George Lucas 1977 interview, published in JW Rinzler's Making of Star Wars

Iron_lord and SlashMan like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why is one of Jabba's goons on the sail barge giggling when he pops up to shoot at Luke and how does he manage to giggle without moving his lips?

23. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    This has always bugged me... Why did Ben Kenobi just vanish into thin air when Darth Vader hit him? Is it some sort of jedi ability, if so "vanishing after dying" seems kind of like a useless ability, or was it just because they hadn't planned everything out yet and hastily decided to make him disappear before planning the other films?

24. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    It's expanded upon in Revenge of the Sith that Qui-Gon teaches Obi-Wan and Yoda the secrets of the afterlife of the Force. Obi-Wan used this technique as a distraction to allow the crew of the Millennium Falcon to escape. He could have simply died, but then he wouldn't be able to help Luke later.

Obi-Wan vanishing did seem kind of mysterious at first, as it was added to the story after Lucas didn't have anything to do with Obi-Wan at Yavin. I think it is a good idea to keep Obi-Wan as a mentor, even when he isn't physically present.

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Vanishing upon dying is a key component of the Force-ghost technique.

Force Smuggler likes this.