main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Are there any lightsabers in existence at the end of ROTJ? Every lightsaber that we know of was left on a Death Star or fell into a gas giant.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Pretty sure that Luke still had his saber. All he did was throw it on the ground in front of him, not down the shaft or anything
    Aside from that, considering the 1000's of Jedi killed 20 years prior, I'm sure the Empire kept a huge stock of sabers. Not to mention it isn't that difficult for a Force-sensitive with even basic training to construct a new one with the appropriate materials

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Luke still has his lightsaber. You can see it on his belt when he arrives at the Ewok celebration.

Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What are those tubes that a bunch of flight suits have?

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always assumed they have something to do with an oxygen supply. Dunno if there's an official explanation.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've heard that they're emergency signal flares.

7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    What is Luke's in-universe reason for wearing all black in ROTJ?

8. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    His Jedi robes were at the dry cleaners.

9. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    A reason is never given in ROTJ, obviously, but IIRC, Dash Rendar - of all people - gives him the black uniform in the Shadows of the Empire novel.

Rly. o_O

OOU, his motivations are supposed to be ambiguous to us - will he stay light side or go dark? - and I guess it was meant to make him look more mature and less innocent. IU...who knows. Like I said, it's never addressed in the film. Way back then I think Lucas had the idea that the Jedi of old actually dressed like this and Luke found out and wanted to emulate them, but then modern prequel Jedi wound up all looking like Tatooine Ben Kenobi. Barring that, it could be conjectured that Luke was wanting to identify himself with his father a little bit.

A Tumblr poster pointed out something interesting about that costume: that although it's black, leaving us to speculate what route Luke will take for most of the movie, at the very end the breast flap falls open, exposing the pale-colored lining inside, which is a symbolic way of representing that he ultimately chooses to stay on the light side. A little silly and probably unintentional on Lucas' part, but, kinda cool at the same time.

Sarge likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What do mouse droids do?
    Luke knows how awesome it looks.

Lord_Anzeroth and Seagoat like this.
  11. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I knew that there was no in universe explanation for the black attire, but this one will do nicely :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    He got tired of Han "Captain Tight Pants" Solo getting all the glory. [face_mischief]:cool:[face_love]

Sarge likes this.
  13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007

They deliver messages that are too sensitive for direct comm transmission.

14. Jeremy page

Jeremy page Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2014
    in those vhs remastered why is jabba the hutt a man its in A new hope

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Darth_Nub likes this.
  16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Was Dr. Evazan intended to be a human? His face is very.... inhuman, but otherwise he looks like he could just be a human who got in some accident or something, but basically what I'm asking is, EU notwithstanding, was he considered an alien back in '77?

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  17. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Its a scar. He got shot in the face. I don't think the people were really thinking backstory, just creepy makeup for the Cantina.

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ah. What's the source for this?

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The screenplay and credits call him "Grubby Human". WEG named him "Evazan".

Seagoat likes this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The funny thing was that an early documentary on ANH showed the whole scene with Declan Mulholland playing Jabba, i think i must of watched ANH a dozen times when it first came on tv thinking i'd missed the scene in the cinema. :confused:

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Mod action: merging with 'Questions' thread

22. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    What is it that falls when Luke lands on the.... antenna thingy after the duel? As a kid I thought it was his hand lol but now I think it's his blaster, but I'm not sure. We really don't get to see a good view of it

23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh yeah, now I know what you're talking about - it can't be his hand or his lightsaber, neither are there before the vent opens. Maybe Luke's blaster or commlink - or it could have been a suicidal Ugnaught.

Let's call it 'Random Unidentified Falling Object Included For The Purpose Of Emphasising The Danger Of Luke Falling Off The Antenna'. Start an entry on Wookiepedia for it and LFL might include it in the customisable card game or something.:p

EDIT: Smartassery aside:

Right at the end - I think it's just part of the antenna Luke's holding on to, knocked off when he lands on it.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Damn, that adds a whole new sense of scary danger to it xD I'd hate to imagine if the entire antenna broke off

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When Vader calls Obi-Wan "my old master", there's two Death Star Troopers in the room. What was their reaction?