main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rodtod

rodtod Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks Charles! My questions: Given the exorbitant tonnage of an Imperial Star Destroyer (not even considering Star Dreadnoughts), in the scene of Empire Strikes Back where two ISD's sideswipe one another midst hunting down the Millennium Falcon: A) Would the collision compress either ship's front plating to a sufficient density for Schwarzschild purposes? and B) Can the Dark Side be any sort of match against a hungry modestly sized singularity?

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You're forgetting that all ships in Star Wars (besides the hapless TIE fighters) have shields. Those shields would have deflected the collision impact between the two Star Destroyers.

3. rodtod

rodtod Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks Timmo! Great username btw!
    This introduces another issue however: Mass energy equivalence.. So in this scene in question, given both Destroyers are about a fifth the mass of the mainstay Bellator and the original trilogy 8km Supers, we're talking a combined 5% Ceres asteroid mass (don't ask me how I arrived at these, I looked at ship acceleration and nacelle surface area and went from there) crunching together at sublight speeds. I'm hazarding a tenth ISD ship length per second both directions:
    Initial velocity 2 x 160 meters/ sec
    Final velocity: standstill
    Result: 32.62 G forces squeezed within time from initial shield overlap to hull impact ( 0.0009525 seconds ) i.e. 34,245 G forces * Mass-energy of shielding = 125 Teranewtons
    Mean density of forward hull: 4.9kg/cc
    Ceramic compression tolerance: 10 Gigapascals for every 4000 kg

*Phew* Okay the shielding alone delivers to the forwardmost of either ship's nose a compression to two million times the material operating density, I'm dubbing this the 'precrunch'.
    The moment the actual ship masses collide it gets much worse: Fifteen trillion TRILLION (twice) newtons of raw bludgeoning.

The moment of actual impact between the two Destroyers would have registered at 0.0179 mean singularity density. The Schwarzschild was certainly strong amidst the Imperials that day.

Seagoat likes this.
  4. Tevase2

Tevase2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    Ok, so my dad started showing me Star Wars with the original. But I've always wondered why he finds that the original are the best. Because honestly I love all of them, and why I Do agree that the originals are amazing and by far superior I've always wondered why a lot if the older generation think so to. Is it because, like me, they started with the originals.

5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    The unedited films represent something that was done with limited technology. Those films are art and shouldn't have ever been changed.

Cushing's Admirer and solo77 like this.
  6. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I got the impression they were referring to the OT rather than the SE.

In any case, I'm OK with the Special Edition existing, but I think if you're going to call it that it needs to stay that way and not replace the original edition.

Doop likes this.
  7. darth_ghede

darth_ghede Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2014
    Were the shadowtroopers the black stormtroopers in the original trilogy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There were black armoured stormies in the OT? Since when?

9. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001
    You mean the TIE Fighter Pilots and Death Star Gunners? They weren't Shadow Stormtroopers. No such thing appeared in the OT (or PT, for that matter).

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When Vader says "there'll be no one to stop us this time" on the Tantive, what prior time is he referring to?

11. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001
    I'm not sure if the EU made something up to address that specific line, but I think more than anything, it was probably just a throw away line meant to help characterize Vader. I don't think it was meant to refer to any specific instance, though again, there may be some in the EU.

12. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Old EU makes it such that he was probably referring to Galen Marek, who did some pretty big damage to the Death Star during its construction

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    He might have already been aware that Palps was about to dissolve the Galactic Senate.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Do we see the entire Rebellion in ANH and ESB or are those just outposts?

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Political leaders aside (who would have been dealing with the dissolution of the Senate), I would guess that what we see in SW/ANH on Yavin represents most of the existing Rebel forces at the time. The actual Rebellion was in a pretty early stage, so apart from various Rebel cells all over the place, you'd imagine that they would have brought the majority of their scant military forces together to take out the Death Star.

ESB's a different matter - the deep space rendezvous depicts a number of ships that clearly weren't at Hoth (orbital ships), and there were probably other rendezvous points around the galaxy. With the Empire treating the Rebellion far more seriously, it'd make more sense to scatter their forces across various locations. Echo Base was most likely just one of the larger Rebel outposts.

Sarge, Iron_lord and timmoishere like this.
  16. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I have a question? What is the meaning of life?

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Thanks for that answer. I remember that lol!

19. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001
    There is no one universal, pre-defined meaning to life. It is up to each and every one of us to determine who we are and embrace it. Figure out what drives you, and go for it. At the end of the day, it is up to you to create your own meaning. And once you figure out who you are and what your ambitions are, and once you can accept and make the best of what is rather than what isn't, you will have found your meaning.

timmoishere and Andy Wylde like this.
  20. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    That was just more a joke question really. I was messing around with that.

21. Among the Clouds

May 18, 2001
    I know.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I just finished watching A New Hope and is it just me or can you actually see David Prowse's eyes behind the mask in certain shots?

23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013

[​IMG]

Sarge and The Most Cunning Jedi like this.
  24. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    Awesome screenshot, TY! knew it wasn't just me :D

Seagoat likes this.
  25. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Welcome! I've read that it's also pretty obvious during the scene of Alderaan's destruction, and I think at one point on the Tantive IV, but this is the only screenshot I've been able to see it myself

The Most Cunning Jedi likes this.