main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. ffej747

ffej747 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I know Lucas re released the original trilogy with a bunch of stupid teaks and extras.And that is why the only copies I own or watch are the original theatrical versions released on VHS. My question is do the original theatrical versions (in wide screen) exist on DVD?? (I've got the impression they don't as the star wars trilogy is the top selling vhs tapes in the world I last read because this is the only original versions!?)

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Do the extra deleted scenes appear in the separate movie Blu-Rays, or the trilogy Blu-Ray collection or just the Complete Saga Blu-Ray?

3. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Can someone please tell me which species is that? I always questioned myself and now I have the right place to ask. For those who wonder, it's at Jabba's Palace, ROTJ.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    BadCane likes this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    The bonus discs with the deleted scenes are unfortunately exclusively available only in the Complete Saga set.

I would have hoped that at least with the latest Fall 2015 re-release the OT Trilogy set would see the addition of the OT Bonus disc, but that didn't happen. :mad:

6. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Thank you very much!

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The original versions were released on DVD as bonus features on the (I think) 2006 release. They are unfortunately low-quality Laserdisc transfers, and not anamorphic (but they are in letterbox widescreen).

8. Robert Power

Robert Power Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016
    Is it just me who wonders why Luke didn't use the force instead of a rock to push the button which dropped the gate down on the Rancor?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    This fact comes from one of the numerous "Star Wars Facts" lists:
    http://www.knowable.com/a/20-amazin...2&tse_id=INF_b0cd5d5e75e24d95b11906000f476ad6
    Well, I can confirm that at least 90% of this is BS. As we all know, 'Sith' was first spoken onscreen in The Phantom Menace in 1999. Ergo, nothing to dub over. Also, Sith was used as early as at least 1975 for the second Star Wars draft (not a creation of 1977). Also, a name as broad as 'The Damned' can't be enough to convince Lucas worried at all. Whether George hates punk rock is yet to be confirmed.

So the question is: were the Sith ever known as The Damned? Little to no evidence backs it up, so I'm thinking no.

10. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    This question might belong here. Not all DVD's are the same. Can fans recommend a better quality DVD collection of the first three Star Wars films? Some packages do a nice job of including interviews, edited footage and other fun extras for fans. I suppose a recommendation for the second three or all six if it exists.

Cheers :)

11. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    do y'all have any thoughts on Tarkin's use of the phrase "data tapes'?

Of course it was 1977 and made as much sense as "USB stick" would now but does anyone have an in-universe explanation? Can anyone cite additional uses of the term in ANY Star Wars material?

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    When in fact George put the number of the episodes of the trilogy? In 1997 or in the original release (I Know that he put ANH in 81, but the film says only Star Wars: A New Hope).

Tanjint likes this.
  13. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Why doesn't Obi-Wan have a ship for space travel in ANH?

14. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Sometime between Episodes III where Obi-Wan leaves Luke with Owen & Beru and the beginning of ANH where Owen is dead set against Luke having anything to do with Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan and Owen seem to have had a falling out. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

Also, why was Obi-Wan not immediately concerned with stopping troops from killing Owen & Beru once he realized the droids were part of the Imperial/Rebel conflict? I kinda figure he doesn't realize that Luke and Owen JUST got the droids. Only once Luke is racing towards home does Obi-Wan realize how immediate and urgent everything is. What do you guys think?

PHIERY likes this.
  15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Tanjint

I'd say Owen doesn't like the two of them interacting with one another and fears, now that Luke is twenty and wants to leave Tatooine desperately, that another encounter with Ben Kenobi will deprive him of his hard working nephew.

I don't think there was anything Kenobi could have done to stop the killing of Beru and Owen. I'd guess that they were killed during the same time that Luke got attacked by the Tusken raider.

Tanjint likes this.
  16. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    @Lt.Hija all that makes sense but do you think Owen was grateful to Obi-Wan at the end of Episode III for bringing him his relative or you think he already had the views he has in Episode IV?

In other words, do we think Obi-Wan and them agreed that later on Luke would help him make things right later or it was just a hand off, "Here, take care of the boy!" with no such agreement implicit or otherwise.

Much is made of Yoda and Obi-Wan's collaboration and planning between 3 and 5 but in the OT (because the PT hadn't been written yet) it seems more by chance.

Yoda and Obi-Wan just had to put the pieces in place so that it was possible for Leia/Luke to help save the galaxy, not actually make agreements with their adopted parents about it? A lot of Ifs for the galaxy to be riding on but I guess that's the Force!

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Tanjint

We are looking at a field full of speculation. The original ANH speculation was obviously that Luke became an orphan (what about his mother?) after his father had been killed by Vader, so it was natural that he'd grew up with his next relatives.

But it gets already obfuscated with Yoda in ESB. Yoda complains that Luke is too old for training, then why didn't Obi-Wan raise Luke as his child? Of course, hiding Luke with a young couple who could credibly pretend he was their child ("Luke Lars") wouldn't arouse curiosity like an old hermit with a child.

Maybe Owen and Beru couldn't have children of their own, thus there was no hesitation to adopt Luke, and I'd like to believe that it wasn't until Luke reached the age of sixteen they told him about his true heritage.

Tanjint likes this.
  18. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    @Lt.Hija that makes sense...we don't hear any thing said between Obi-Wan and Lars in EP III do we? I suppose it's whatever it needs to be.

19. sondosoft

sondosoft Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    I've heard there's an expanded universe book or books that cover Boba Fett repairing his jetpack inside the Sarlac Pit and flying out of it. If this is true what are the names of those book or books?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He didn't fly out of it - but crawled out of it after detonating his jetpack and badly wounding the Sarlacc (initially, he'd thought he'd killed it).

The book in question is Tales from Jabba's Palace - with it being a single short story there. In book 1 of the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy (The Mandalorian Armor) Dengar finds Boba's living body close to the Sarlacc's badly injured form.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  21. sondosoft

sondosoft Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Thanks a lot. I always imagined the Sarlacc Pit being flat on the inside, almost like a floor, not the intestine-esque that it is in in the artwork of that.

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, the interior of the Sarlacc is at least a couple hundred feet deep. More than enough room for the Sarlacc to consume multiple humanoid meals simultaneously. It also has several limbs that anchor it into the sand and surrounding bedrock.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  23. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    hi is there a thread discussing/explaining how Palpatine/Sidious became so powerful with the Force ?

thanks

24. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    i thought that as well. probably knew he could hit the button quicker if he just threw the rock at it.

Tanjint likes this.
  25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    It's not canon anymore (shame, too), but the novel Darth Plagueis tells about some of Palpatine's adolescence and training under Plagueis. It also provides some critical background information about Palpatine's actions and motivations during the prequels.

Tanjint likes this.