main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    This is just a thought but in Episode II when Anakin and Padme are going to Naboo, Mace Windu tells them "Don't use registered transport. Travel as refugees." So they'll be harder to find as passengers on a large ship than if they went on their own ship. And in ANH Obi-Wan apparently knows where to find the best freighter pilots, so perhaps he employed a similar strategy if he ever wanted to go off-world. He would get on a freighter and could then just be an anonymous passenger, rather than the pilot of his own ship which could make him more likely to be caught if he had to go through Imperial checkpoints.

Tanjint and Lt. Hija like this.
  2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    He may have lived in exile but I'd say it's pretty obvious that he knew a lot about Mos Eisley, its people and Aliens and what was happening elsewhere, too. I'd like to believe that he travelled often on a riding animal (just as he did at the end of RotS) but in ANH Luke's landspeeder was obviously a faster way to get him to Mos Eisley and off the planet.

Tanjint likes this.
  3. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    In 1980, when Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was released. In the 1981 re-release of Star Wars, it was renamed Episode IV: A New Hope. I'm 99% sure it had the episode number back then, not just A New Hope.

Diego Lucas likes this.
  5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    What if Yoda lived another ten years instead of dying in ROTJ? Imagine if he had been able to live into the days of the New Republic and not made Luke do all of the training for the next generation on his own.

Tanjint likes this.
  6. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    By the CT, why is the Empire still using technology from the Clone Wars?

Tanjint likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    For the same reason that the US is still using technology from the Cold War? 20 years is not a long time in technology terms, even in this day and age.

Emperor Ferus and Tanjint like this.
  8. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    How in the world is Anakin able to become a Force ghost when it took Obi-Wan and Yoda spiritual intervention to be taught to do so? How could he have learned to do this without the same situation?

Tanjint likes this.
  9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Obi-Wan and Yoda stepped in and "rescued" Anakin's spirit shortly after death.

Tanjint likes this.
  10. otherworlds

otherworlds Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2016
    was Luke meant to be a polite person as such? theres a few things that come to mind about that. One is when he's at the bar and some guys are hassling him and he says i'm sorry and he's not arguing with them. also when Yoda says when nine hundred years old you reach, he's probaly thinking yeah well am not gonna live that long am I? but he doesn't say anything. was he just brought up to always mind his manners and be good to others?

AniLukeRey and Tanjint like this.
  11. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    otherworlds

The moment he jerked the body of the Imperial dentention block officer from his console in ANH I saw the other side of Luke which didn't appear to be that nice.

When my youngest son enters an environment he's not familiar with he holds back, keeps a low profile and studies his surroundings appearing shy. Once he has evaluated the scene he becomes stubborn and sometimes even a little devil.

I'd think he is a lot like Luke.

Tanjint and otherworlds like this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I think you two are reading a bit too much into it.

Luke's "I'm sorry" is what anyone would say when two big burly guys try to pick a fight with them. It's a "Please go away and leave me alone!" kind of thing.

His pulling the body off the console, well remember that the officer is kind of the bad guy. Luke's not going to properly put him in a burial position and conduct Tatooine burial rites in the middle of a frantic rescue mission in hostile territory.

Honestly, if we want to see who Luke really is, look at how he acted when he first met Yoda: impatient, yelling at him, treating him like a stupid little thing that was wasting his time. Then observe how quickly he changed his tone when he realized exactly who he was talking to. In my mind, if not facing hostile men or talking to people he respects -- or wants to learn from, he's an impatient little man who loses his temper very easily.

Tanjint and Iron_lord like this.
  13. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I have two questions about Return of the Jedi.

1. When the Emperor dismisses the two royal guards in his throne room where do they go? The both disappear behind the central turbolift across and are never seen again.
    2. Can the vibropikes the royal guards carry parry a lightsaber blade?

Tanjint likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From the newcanon junior novelization of ROTJ (Beware The Power of the Dark Side):

"Guards, leave us," calls the Emperor, and his silent, red protectors glide away.*

*The Emperor doesn't really feel the need to be guarded. He only keeps these guards around to impress visitors. Now that they have been seen, they are free to take the service elevator down to their break room and take off their ridiculous helmets until called upon again.

Yes (in the EU)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_pike/Legends

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord quoted

*The Emperor doesn't really feel the need to be guarded. He only keeps these guards around to impress visitors.

My goodness, what's wrong with this author? :rolleyes:

If the Emperor doesn't really need guards, then it's blatantly obvious that he is using them as staffage to look as if he really needed those, thus making people underestimate him (which is the red thread throughout 6 films).

Tanjint likes this.
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That's part of his character. He played on the "attack left me scarred, but my resolve has never been stronger" in ROTS during his speech to the Senate. Luke, and other Jedi who battled him know better not to underestimate him.

Tanjint and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They are writing for children - and with lots of IMO quite entertaining footnotes.

As PCCViking pointed out - the author's comment is actually pretty plausible.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  18. Logan La Marco

Logan La Marco Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2016
    HERE'S AN INTERESTING QUESTION!:

When Anakin/Darth Vader watched Palpatine shock Luke with force lightning in Episode VI, what do you think was going through Anakin's head right before he killed Palpatine?

Was it himself talking to himself
    Did Padme speak to him?
    Did he think of Padme?
    Did he look at Palpatine and figure out that he was as evil as a demon?
    Did he think of Obi-Wan?

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!? :D

Tanjint likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Novelizations tend to answer this - the first junior novelization (by Ryder Windham) has him think of Padme - as does the more recent, made for the "newcanon" junior novelization, as well.

20. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm gonna ask this once more since I can't even remember the answer I got last time I asked - anyone have any idea at what point Obi-Wan learned what Vader looked like post-Mustafar? Recent developments in Rebels have me wondering a lot about this.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In old EU at least, he saw a holonet news thing or whatever that had a propaganda recording and showed Vader while he was in town
    (dat dangling participle tho)

Tanjint likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader in the EU.

Iron_lord and Tanjint like this.
  23. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Something I have been confused about is GL and his contradictions. He (most of the time) says that Darth Vader was never intended on being Luke's father and it was a spontaneous decision. However, 'Darth Vader' literally translates to 'Dark Father' in dutch. Is this mere coincidence?

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's generally decided that it was complete coincidence

"Vader" is itself likely derived from "invader"
    And many languages have similar words for father, likely because they were taken from the Latin word pater. If you pronounce the a in vader the same way as we English speakers do in father, it sounds more or less just like it

As for where "Darth" came from.... possibly just changing the last sound of dark? I'm not entirely certain, but that's the likeliest explanation

Darth Formidious likes this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Darth = short for Dark Lord of the Sith