main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
  2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    IIRC from the Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina book, Kabe was attempting to pick the pockets of either Evazan or Baba. But she was unsuccessful.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think many of the details from that book, made their debut in Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope - the individual storytale writers just took them and ran with them:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Guide_1:_A_New_Hope

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

timmoishere wrote

Kabe was attempting to pick the pockets of either Evazan or Baba. But she was unsuccessful.

Hardly. In the first opening shot / camera pan you can clearly see "Evazan" bowing down where "Kabe" is standing, suggesting they were talking about something (unless somebody seriously suggests somebody had just passed "Evazan" and told him his fly was open).

The only thing Kabe was (successfully) attempting was to get a drink from the bartender. :p

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Alternatively, he detected the pickpocketing attempt - looked down as he felt it - and she was forced to stop, and back off.

6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Kabe backed off from "Evazan" or "Baba" after a pickpocketing attempt?!?

Seriously, I prefer to believe what I see and not what some EU writers tell me to believe.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If you want to discuss it further - the specific thread for Kabe's involvement with the other two is here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...in-the-anh-obi-wan-lightsaber-fight.50040449/

And what I see, is nothing that conclusively proves Kabe is one of a 3-person gang, in the final movie.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In that screenshot, it's evident to me that Evazan isn't paying close attention to Kabe's presence. He's more focused on Luke, and Ponda's reaction to him.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Interestingly, Complete Locations is set to be re-released with TFA content. I'm not sure how much it said about Kabe, Ponda, and Evazan though - but if the newcanon cantina page ends up the same as the old one - then looking at the old one might provide some clues as to what will be the official version of who and what was in that cantina.

10. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I have to stress that my question is genuine and serious. Even though it may seem like a joke... Is E.T a Jedi?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/norbertobr...-wars-right-no?utm_term=.ck1N53ZBa#.sf7NKBwA5

The link shows the full theory which has been popular amongst fans for some time. I genuinely think there is reasonable evidence from the two movies and enough links between the movies to imply that E.T was a Jedi that accidentally appeared on Earth. Perhaps through some anomaly in the space time continuum which opened a wormhole to our galaxy.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Might just be a powerful Force-sensitive from one of the other factions.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Asogian

12. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015

True, but I think he knows Yoda from the senate since he recognised a child wearing a Yoda costume (Yoda's species aren't common). I know this theory sounds funny and like a joke but I like to believe it provides a cross link to the two universises portrayed in both movies. [face_laugh]

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the Jedi have an Agricultural Corps - maybe one of the roles of it is to explore new ecosystems and take plant samples from them? Thus making that ship, not an Asogian ship but an AgriCorps ship that happened to have Asogian Jedi aboard?

14. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    How powerful was Luke already by the time of ROTJ? As we've seen in the movie, he was able to defeat Vader in a duel, but wasn't Vader holding back/emotionally conflicted from fighting his son? I've seen posts around online that Luke already was on par power/skill wise with High Jedi Council Members from the PT.

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It seems definitely uncertain. I wouldn't say Luke was on the same level as the masters of old, but the sail barge assault definitely proves his strength has significantly risen since TESB

As for Vader's performance, sources conflict. I believe the initial novelization stated that he fought with full force (no pun intended) while the film itself implies that, although he denied it, his emotional conflict was holding him back

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why is C-3PO walking around the Falcon in the middle of the Tie Fighter assault after they escaped from the Death Star?

17. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    Perhaps he was just worried and acting erratically because of the moon sized battle station deploying deadly legions of TIE fighters to destroy him and his companions. :)

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    IIRC they were given the task to monitor and if necessary repair vital ship systems that could get damaged.

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Can someone tell me if one of the zillions of reference books mentions how Greedo was referred to as a Martian on the cantina set? I just need some source that I can cite for an academic work.

20. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    The Making of Star Wars by J. Rinzler (just happened to look it up yesterday) quotes John Mollo when he said down with George Lucas to disuss his Cantina sketch (to figure out how many costumes and aliens they needed). John Mollo is quoted referring to a "Martian" (Greedo design) but the actual sketch indiates that it originally read "Plutonian". http://imgur.com/tZ9s9xE

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    That's perfect, thank you.

22. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    What month was the Luke sunset scene filmed? (What season, if next possible.)

Edit Add:

I see some posters listing criteria for canonicity. Is there a consensus on canonicity of a film as a function of time? I.e., if a later film contradicts an earlier film. Do arguments exist to assess or defend the relative merit or weight of canonicity to be awarded to the former or the latter? (Film only, I think.)

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Filming took place between the months of March and July of 1976

I believe the Tunisia shoot had finished up by April, so it was most likely within March or early April

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Thank you.

Seagoat likes this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

@Hernalt wrote

I see some posters listing criteria for canonicity. Is there a consensus on canonicity of a film as a function of time? I.e., if a later film contradicts an earlier film. Do arguments exist to assess or defend the relative merit or weight of canonicity to be awarded to the former or the latter? (Film only, I think.)

Could you please be more specific and provide an example of what you have in mind?

I'd like to use two examples from the "secondary" George Lucas canon to illustrate some difficulties
    1. In the ANH novelization Luke's skyhopper is designated as a "tropospheric" craft, yet in the ROJ novelization it's supposed to be a part of the Rebel fleet in space. Since we do not see any skyhoppers during the fleet assembly, I'd like to believe the ANH novelization carries more weight
    2. In the ANH novelization (and screenplay) the landspeeder hovers above ground because of a magnetic field. Yet The Art of ESB, a primary reference book, suggested that Cloud City and its Cloud Cars hover because they are supported by the "rare, anti-gravitational Tibanna gas". Now, Uncle Owen was very energy conscious in ANH, yet Luke's landspeeder hovered above ground parked next to the homestead's "igloo". Did ESB constitute a premise change that introduced Tibanna gas as an alternative to "repulsorlifts"?