main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a "power regulator":

Lando: All right, Wedge. Go for the power regulator on the north tower.
    Wedge: Copy, Gold Leader. I'm already on my way out.

I would guess that hitting it is what ensures that the reactor, when it's hit, will go up in a runaway explosion, instead of just breaking - because the power it's generating, is no longer regulated.

2. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I'm confused about Obi-Wan's death. Why do his robes disappear before Vader strikes him? And could become a force ghost like he did in ANH at any time?

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's some robes still present for Vader to prod with his foot. It's not clear exactly how quickly he disappears with the hit- since it's seen from some distance away - all we can see is the robes beginning to sag as the blade cuts them.

Emperor Ferus and Darth Wookiee like this.
  4. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    AH! Found a place for this question! (I think...)

Why in the heck are Turbolasers so SLOW? They were slow in the PT, slow in the OT and even slow in the ST.

Why was there such little progress in turbolaser design? ;)

5. BadEwok

BadEwok Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2015
    Question: at the end of ROTJ when the Falcon is seen speeding from the Death Star towards the remaining Rebel fleet there are a number of bulbuous ships with just two engines. What are they? I have never found a reference to them and they appear in the original as well as the various special editions.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You could ask AdmiralNick22 to repost the images from this thread - might give me an idea of what you're referring to:

http://boards.theforce.net/xentemp/...f-endor-rebel-and-imperial-assets.2965/page-5

this seems close, but with no circled ships:

http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi-1983/81/

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. BadEwok

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks for that. The thread you linked gave me a lot of consensus that it's some type of mon cal cruiser, either new or with not-all-engines firing. I have a small thesis on rebel losses at Endor. Is there a thread I ought to publish it in or should I create a new one?

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A random thought that recently occurred to me: there's been a number of stories done about how Darth Vader discovered the identity of the Force-sensitive pilot he went up against at the Battle of Yavin, but does anyone know when Luke realized that the Imperial pilot who nearly shot him down was Vader? It seems like potentially an interesting moment (the man who "killed his father" and all - plus they never really face each other in the film otherwise), but I'm not sure if it's ever been detailed. The film doesn't really indicate that the rebels are aware it's Vader in the TIE Advanced, though it doesn't do anything to contradict it either.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Vader (incorrectly) blames Luke for "shooting up his ship" in ANH in their confrontation:

“You know, Skywalker, I had a difficult time finding out that it was you who shot up my TIE fighter above the Death Star station. Rebellion spies are hard and expensive to come by. I also found out it was you who released the torpedo that destroyed the station. You have a great deal to atone for to me. I’ve waited a long time.”
    Given that the MC80a has 2 primary thrusters, with all the rest being smaller - it could be that. Star Destroyers like the Devastator are sometimes shown with secondary thrusters "unlit" as well.

Emperor Ferus, BigAl6ft6 and BadEwok like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why does Han tell that guy "I'll see you in Hell?" Is Han admitting that he knows his sins will take him to Hell? And for some reason, he also knows that guy's sins are worthy of the eternity of burning in Hell as well?

11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    No, he's being his usual hardass tough-guy persona. Remember, the other guy said that he would freeze to death out there in the blizzard and Han was basically saying, “Screw you, I'm going out there anyway!”

12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Have there ever been any EU stories showing what Wedge was doing during the second half of Empire Strikes back?
    (while we see what happens to our main heroes)

13. BadEwok

Feb 11, 2015
    In a Marvel comic from way back when Wedge gets shot down together with Janson as they attempt to leave Hoth and have to survive on the planet. Interestingly Janson dies (again, seeing as he'd already died in the novel).

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe you're thinking of Hobbie as the guy who died in the novel:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Derek_Klivian/Legends

In the novelization of the film, Klivian, dying, pilots his damaged snowspeeder into General Veers's AT-AT walker before he can destroy the shield generator, presumably killing both Klivian and Veers.[6] This scene was based on one present in the original script, but absent in the final cut of the movie, in which Veers survives at least long enough to destroy the shield generator.[2][27] Despite the scene's use in the novel, it was disregarded by Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, which established both Klivian and Veers as surviving and made no mention of the crash.[3] Later sources, however, have reconciled both accounts by having Klivian crash his snowspeeder into the walker after Veers fires, but survive after copious bacta treatment.[12][22] Veers survives but receives crippling injuries.[22]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wes_Janson/Legends

though the comic did show Janson's death:

Janson's non-canon death was written in Marvel Star Wars 78: Hoth Stuff!.[14]The story was later retconned to be a tall tale that Wedge would tell new recruits, only to startle them with Janson's appearance.[13]

15. BadEwok

Feb 11, 2015
    I stand corrected sir :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. otherworlds

otherworlds Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2016
    how does luke understand r2d2 i wouldnt know how or why he could understand droids

17. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    OK, now I'm wholly confused. Was Jason the pilot behind Luke during the Hoth battle that got killed?

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You mean Janson?

Janson was the gunner behind Wedge. "Good shot, Janson".

The gunner behind Luke was Dak.

"Steady, Dak".

*Dak dies*

"Dak? Dak!"

ZodaEX likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That beeping is a language called Binary/Droidspeak - Luke probably studied it (correspondence course maybe?)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Binary

He's not the only one - Rey and Hera seem to understand it as well.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  20. otherworlds

otherworlds Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2016
    what is chewbaccas last name? it has been suggested that his first name is chew and his last name bacca but other ideas are appreciated

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Uber-geeks. Gotta love 'em. No criticism. I'm an uber-geek, too. Just funny to think of some of the questions we come up with.

BTW, my opinion: Everyone on the planet is like Cher or Sting. No last name, just one name. Chewbacca is Chewbacca.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Han also "spoke" to a droid on top of the Falcon on Hoth.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Wookiees have only one name. For example here are Chewie's family: Attitchitcuk (father), Mallatobuck (wife), and Lumpawarrump (son).

24. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    There's probably some convention for identifying one Chewbacca vs another Chewbacca. Say "Chewbacca, son of Attitchitcuk" That's how my last name (Wilkin, Williams Kin --> Will Kin --> Wilkin) came about. Same for the -son names - Wilson, Anderson, etc.

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    One name eh? Just like Brazilians at sporting events.

Avnar likes this.