main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Even worse, when he's fully grown, late teen, call him "Little Annie" like Watto. And then how about we expect him to burst out into "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow" He is now an orphan after all.

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I know he doesn't, but in the first movie, he says "...and he was a good friend". After someone pointed out that it sounds like "Ani", I can't hear anything else

3. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but:

How was Vader able to become one with the Force at the end of ROTJ? We know Qui-Gon taught it to Yoda, who taught it to Obi-Wan. So how did Vader learn then?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Irl answer: Jedi just sort of became ghosts back then

In-universe: It was either old EU or an ROTJ novelization, but the spirits of Yoda and Obi-Wan met with Anakin's before it faded into the Force and taught him how to preserve his identity

I've seen headcanon tho that he gets a pass because of his status as the Chosen One, if that's your preference

MANDALOREXXI and DarthIshyZ like this.
  5. Mandalore Rising

Jan 5, 2017
    Ahhh, thank you for much for your answer. The one that makes the most sense to me would be answer 2. Of course, as fans, we expect Lucas to have come up with every single detail to hhis story, no matter how small. Sometimes the answer is "That's what I decided at the time". Thx a lot for your time!

DarthIshyZ and Seagoat like this.
  6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It was the ROTJ novelization if I remember correctly. Obi-Wan came down and basically said, "As a friend, I'm going to help train you in becoming a Force Ghost."

7. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

I never saw that part in the novelization. . .

AT ALL.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it's the Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi book that's being thought of:

The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi

Had Obi-Wan's spirit not witnessed Vader's action, he never would have believed it. Vader, the same monster that Obi-Wan had left to die on Mustafar, had sacrificed himself to save his son. And suddenly Obi-Wan realized where he had failed. For unlike Luke, Obi-Wan had not only believed that Anakin was consumed by the dark side, but had actually refused to believe that any goodness remained within Vader. And by refusing to allow that possibility, Obi-Wan had condemned not only his former friend but his own capacity for hope.
    Fortunately, Luke's unwavering faith in his father's innate goodness had proved to be a stronger force than the power of the dark side.
    Obi-Wan recalled what Qui-Gon Jinn's spirit had told him so long ago, when he said that Obi-Wan was not ready, and that he failed to understand. For so many years, Obi-Wan had thought Qui-Gon meant that he wasn't ready to comprehend details about Anakin's conversion to the dark side. But now, he finally understood his Master's words.
    I wasn't ready to forgive Anakin. And he won't be entirely free unless I do.
    Unfortunately, just as Obi-Wan realised that Anakin Skywalker lived, he also knew that Anakin would not live much longer. As Luke hauled his dying father toward a shuttle, Obi-Wan's spirit shifted his own psyche to another realm. And he waited.

After Anakin died in his son's arms, Obi-Wan called out into the void, "Anakin."
    A moment later, Obi-Wan heard a familiar voice return from the darkness. "Obi-Wan? Master, I'm so sorry. So very, very—"
    "Anakin, listen carefully," Obi-Wan interrupted. "You are in the netherworld of the Force, but if you ever wish to revisit corporeal space, then I still have one thing left to teach you. A way to become one with the Force. If you choose this path to immortality, you must listen now, before your consciousness fades."
    Obi-Wan sensed confusion and remorse in Anakin's psyche, then Anakin answered, "But Master ... why me?"
    "Because you ended the horror, Anakin," Obi-Wan said. "Because you fulfilled the prophesy. Because you were ... and are ... The Chosen One."
    But Obi-Wan knew in his heart that those were not the only reasons. He added, "Because I was wrong about you. And because I am your friend."

The author also wrote a junior novelization of ROTJ prior to the canon reboot - but I'm not sure if that was included.

Emperor Ferus and Master_Rebado like this.
  9. Mandalore Rising

Jan 5, 2017
    I don't think this has been answered anywhere, but just in case that I'm wrong I'll ask it here:

Was it ever said who made the prophesy of The Chosen One? I would assume it was made by a Jedi, but don't know who or when.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    As far as I can tell, neither the EU nor Lucas has told us.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  12. irunthedeathstar

irunthedeathstar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 12, 2013
    Can anyone please answer a question I have about the Emperor's appearance? Specifically, is his wrinkly, old, yellow eyed appearance due to being messed up by the dark side, or is it due to getting lightning in the face from Mace Windu's lightsaber?

I would guess it is the withering effect of being a long term dark side user, supported by the fact that Anakin got the yellow eyes from being with the dark side, and also mainly cos Luke got lightning in the face too, and didn't get a messed up face from it. Also Anakin looked like he'd been bathing in chalk when Luke took his mask off, very similar skin tone to that of the emperor (although Vader's skin tone could just be fire damage from the lava). Does anyone know for sure either way?

EDIT: Forgot to say, my question assumes the possibility that the Emperor could be lying when he says he was 'deformed' by Mace Windu's attack, and instead he was somehow hiding his true appearance using the dark side of the force.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Tie-in material has been prone to flip-flopping on this - so it's hard to know for sure - but some (Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need To Know) suggest that it's "Palpatine's true, evil nature" being revealed when the lightning causes his face to melt. With the implication that on top of his face was a disguise, which the lightning melted away.

Emperor Ferus and DarthIshyZ like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    From Wookiepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Palpatine

Not sure it really answer the question about sidious' appearance but:

15. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
    Just exactly how much training did Luke have to become a Jedi? Did he train during the years between ANH and ESB? Was Ben guiding him through the war, because he still seems unfocused and unknowing about the basic things when he first meets Yoda. Also when he returns to Dagobah, Yoda says there is no more training required, even though his training was incomplete when he first left. Did Ben train him on Tatooine during that time?

16. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ANH: The training aboard the Falcon en route to Alderaan and perhaps on their journey to Mos Eisley

BEN Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force
    flowing through him.

"Remember" could suggest it's something Obi-Wan already told him.

Between ANH and ESB: Unknown, but Obi-Wan communicated with Luke during the Battle of Yavin and at the beginning of ESB in the Wampa cave (according to the ESB screenplay draft from 1978)

ESB: Yoda's training, assumed to have take place over a period of several weeks (i.e. how long did it take the Falcon to get to Bespin?)

Between ESB and ROJ: Unknown, but Obi-Wan's Force ghost is shown still to be capable of talking to Luke

Bazinga'd likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the newcanon, Luke did a lot of self-training (Weapon of a Jedi, Heir to the Jedi) after ANH.

In the EU, Ben continued talking to Luke, and giving him advice, and talking him through some Force uses, as well.

So far, the newcanon hasn't really covered the period between TESB and ROTJ - but there's an implication that Luke hasn't been training with Ben in ROTJ - he'd have asked him about Vader, and it seems like when he talks to Yoda, this is the first chance he's had to talk to either of his mentors about what happened in Cloud City.

18. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    For what it's worth here are a few bits from the first draft of ESB:

BEN’S VOICE (over)
    Remember the Force, boy. Let the Force be with you. Open your mind to it, open your heart…
    LUKE
    Ben…Ben!
    Stepping back from the monstrous form, only half glimpsed in the starlight, Luke seems to grow taller, to take on stature, his weakness leaving him. He draws the light-saber, and when the beast lunges at him he moves expertly, slashing with the beam…and the beast with one strange cry vanishes in a burst of vapor back into the icy formations.
    Luke runs out of the cave.

LUKE
    Why can’t I learn to control the Force? If only old Ben had waited a little longer….
    BEN’S VOICE
    (very softly)
    But I’d waited long enough, Luke. It’s your time now.

The draft does not create the impression that Luke had received further training prior to ESB.​

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. IMightRegretThisUsername

Sep 19, 2016
    Thanks. I think those two novels should give some depth to what I'm looking for.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The emphasis is very much on self-training - Luke finding an old Jedi Temple, and its training remotes, and learning how to open himself to the Force on a longer timescale than the few seconds we see him do in ANH (Weapon of a Jedi).

Heir to the Jedi's focus is on Luke learning very low level telekinesis (successfully) and trying to copy Ben's Jedi Mind Trick (unsuccessfully).

Emperor Ferus and Bazinga'd like this.
  21. IMightRegretThisUsername

Sep 19, 2016
    So Luke is like the first self taught Jedi in a very long time then, because honestly, what's a few weeks of training that goes unfinished.

You know what, this is the perfect time to bring in Qui-Gon's influence.:)

22. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Luke was taught. He just wasn't taught as extensively as previous Jedi. Everyone gets some level of "self taught," really. After your schooling you learn the real-world lessons that improve your understanding. I'd say he probably got the basics from Yoda and OB1. Certainly enough to withstand the Emperor's influence.

23. IMightRegretThisUsername

Sep 19, 2016
    Like, barely though. Luke's ratio of self-taught to instruction is incredibly disproportionate to what I can imagine every other Jedi of the Old Republic had. And considering the fact he is now teaching a new generation, he would be a self taught master(though he might've had force ghost wisdom tidbits along the way).

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Luke had the very basics of the Jedi way. The Force, lightsaber training, etc... He didn't get training in diplomacy, investigation work, analysis, etc... which is supposedly part of Jedi training during their prime, when they were serving the Republic. But that's all secondary considering the circumstances.

25. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Luke doesn't seem also so much proficient as the Old Republic knights, even at the end of ROTJ. He wins against Vader basically beacuse the latter doesn't breath enough well to be pressed too long and he stumbles at the end. Luke seems not to have a clue that lghtsaber could be very useful to shield against Force lighting (supposing he does know what Force lighting is, before Palpatine shows him!). So he seems to have just some basics, given the short training.

DarthIshyZ likes this.