main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Here's something I'm curious about: We know the Jedi were forbidden from having attachments in the days of the republic, before the purge. After Luke worked to rebuild the Jedi, has there be any indication that this rule was kept or are the Jedi now allowed to reproduce? I know in the Legends EU this is already answered, but since that is no longer canon, I wondered if we had been given an answer either way.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    In Luke's new canon book, he's the only Jedi and he certainly doesn't seem shy about exploring those feelings. I think we'll find that he did try to have a family but some tragedy happened.

Darth Basin and Snax Rebo like this.
  3. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    What are the "big Corellian ships" Han refers to in ANH? ISDs made on Corellia?

4. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Should more OT movies have continued before 1999?

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Snax Rebo asked

What are the "big Corellian ships" Han refers to in ANH? ISDs made on Corellia?

According to the Star Wars (ANH) issue of Cinefantastique and the comments from one of the model makers the (big) "Corellian Cruiser" was a synonym for the "Imperial Cruiser" aka Imperial Star Destroyer.

However, the model maker's claim - that "Corellian Cruiser" was the official description and "Star Destroyer" the nickname of the model crew that stuck - appears to be some kind of myth as already the transcript of the second draft from 1975 refers to a "Rebel Spacefighter" being pursued by four "Imperial Stardestroyers".

ATMachine and Darth_Nub

Are you aware of any reference to a "Corellian Cruiser" prior to the screenplay draft from March 15, 1976? In the early drafts Solo merely refers to the Falcon as a fast or the fastest ship, it looks as if by the time of March 1976 Lucas really embellished that particular dialogue scene (with "Kessel Run" among other things).

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When "Stardestroyer" was a fighter craft, it's possible that the model makers hadn't read those early scripts, and independently came up with the name. Still, it seems unlikely.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I've got a question:

Did someone ever get an explanation as to why Harrison Ford seems to hate Star Wars and the character of Han Solo? He is always like "Oh, I got paid, next question"...
    And the crazy rage of him destroying star wars stuff is pretty weird as well, to put it mildly...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harrison ford destroys

This one is especially shocking, he's not playing that extreme rage while ripping the doll of Han Solo apart, is he?:

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont think Harrison Ford "Star Wars". I think he detests that people think of Star wars as his career's magnum opus. Most actors dont like like being typecast to a particular character or genre, so I think thats all that Ford is doing; trying to shift people to his acting credits.

9. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I knew Harrison hated working in the franchise, but never knew exactly why. It'd make sense if he hated it simply for being typecasted as "the guy who played Han Solo".

10. PoorRebel

Mar 14, 2017

Well, Mark Hamill said that he thought that he never ever dreamed of doing another Star Wars Movie because he thought that Harrison would never come back "because of the thing he has with Star Wars". I would love to know what that "thing" is.

I have the feeling it's just like in all the interviews before the last Indiana Jones was made, when Harrison replied to questions regarding doing another Indiana Jones movie: "How much?" - meaning how much money do I get.

The thing about Harrison is one of the most interesting things concerning the things that happened "backstage", just like the Affair with Carrie Fisher (R.I.P.). It's also the reason why it's so weird to me that he got back to Star Wars - obviously for the amount they offered.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

IMHO, "thing" means resentment build up around the franchise because he was typecast. But thats only my guess.

12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Ok, is it true that in the earlier scripts & drafts SW was more "adult"?

Now I'm not talking GOT's adult but more like Terminator/Blade Runner adult.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  13. PoorRebel

Mar 14, 2017

Where did you get that rumor from? Although there is an image of the" making of the cantina"-scene where there is a dismembered head as a result of the fight with Obi Wan. So there may be some truth to the darker script...

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    In a scene from A New Hope. After Tarkin and Vader discovered that Leia was lying about the location of the rebels, Vader waved his hand as if strangling someone, who is it?

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably just David Prowse thinking that Vader should gesture at this point. Maybe it was based on an earlier script and they changed a couple of lines but didn't reshoot Vader?

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    That's my thinking as well. Maybe in an earlier script, Vader kept talking and was gesturing at Tarkin. Later on, they scrapped that part but didn't want to reshoot the entire scene just to change Vader's hand position.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    They could have just ended that particular shot a second or two earlier, and it wouldn't have affected the rhythm of the scene.

ANH is full of tiny errors like that, though. For example, Red Leader calls out to Red 6 long after Porkins had been killed. Red Leader also refers to Gold 5 as Gold Leader. There's obviously re-used VFX shots in the battle, there's one shot of Luke flying towards the camera in the trench with nobody behind him, but in the very next shot from Vader's POV shows him only a few dozen feet behind Luke's X-wing.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In-universe, I imagined that as a standard field promotion - the moment Gold Leader dies, Gold 5, the next surviving Gold Squadron member in seniority, becomes Gold Leader. But goof, might make more sense out-of universe.

19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    timmoishere wrote

For example, Red Leader calls out to Red 6 long after Porkins had been killed.

o_O

Can you be please be more specific, I do not recall such a scene.

Red Leader also refers to Gold 5 as Gold Leader.

That's correct, contrary to what the transcript says, he referred to Gold 5 (Pops, the veteran) as Gold Leader, but probably because Pops had now become Gold Leader, as Iron_lord suggested.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Normally, in RL fighter call sign nomenclature Red One, or Gold One, or Sierra One, would be the flight or squadron lead. Obviously, it may be different in the SW Universe, but I never thought that Red Five was the squadron leader.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Lt. Hija

The scene I'm referring to is when Luke is being tagged by a TIE fighter and desperately trying to maneuver away from it. There's a brief shot of a controller on Yavin, with Red Leader's voiceover "Red 6, can you see Red 5?" Some other Rebel pilot, possibly Wedge, replies "There's a heavy fire zone here."

Lt. Hija likes this.
  22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    When was the subtitle (A New Hope) and Ep IV officially added to, well A New Hope? LOL,. Was it before the SE?? Wasn't it re-released around 1980?

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe it was 1981 when ANH was re-released.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/faq#.2.1.2

B99 likes this.
  25. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Most likely that's when it first appeared with the new title, but it had to have the subtitle when ESB came out, correct?

Lt. Hija and B99 like this.