main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I remember it too. I don't think you're crazy.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - Is that Jabba who talks to 3PO through a speaker outside Jabba's palace?

- Why did Luke gift R2 and 3PO to Jabba?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He gifted R2 to Jabba in order to get his lightsaber into the palace. 3PO, possibly because he guessed Jabba goes through translators at a great rate, and thereby allowing him to "throw in" R2 as a bonus gift.
    Nope - just a security droid - a "doorman" so to speak:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TT-8L/Y7_gatekeeper_droid

Emperor Ferus and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    What was Luke's life on Tatooine like? What did he do the whole day, beside helping his aunt and uncle and Skyhopper Races with his friends?
    Also how big was Anchorhead during these times and what leisure activities were possible in this town, beside playing pool at Toshe Station?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Questions thread.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Granted this is information based on Legends material but here is some info including population count on Anchorhead.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anchorhead/Legends

7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Checked the article. Alas there isn't much information about Anchorhead during the times of the Empire. Just that it had a population of 700.

Most of the information is about the times of the Old Republic.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Like I said, it was Legends info. There is not a lot of additional information either if you switch over to the Canon tab. Although you may want to try some of the links that are provided there.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I'm curious about Luke's education? Did he go to school everyday as a kid? He seems like a typical teenager in the movie. He works on the farm, but it seems more like chores and not a serious job. Also he wants to go to the academy like Biggs did. This seems to imply Luke graduated the Star Wars equivalent of High School. It feels like Luke is on summer vacation in the movie. Then again there is just one night between Uncle Owen buying the droids and Luke, Obi-Wan, Han, and company blast off for Alderaan. It could be just be a weekend.

10. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Here's the order in which the scene in Ben's dwelling was originally filmed. You will notice that the conversation has a more natural flow than what we see in the movie. In post-production the film editors changed the order of the conversation because it was felt that having a long conversation after viewing Leia's hologram reduced the sense of urgency. Is a video of this original version available anywhere?

INT. KENOBI’S DWELLING
    The small, spartan hovel is cluttered with desert junk but still manages to radiate an air of time-worn comfort and security. Luke is in one corner repairing Threepio’s arm, as old Ben sits thinking. Artoo makes beeping sounds.

BEN
    Now, let’s see if we can’t figure out what you are, my little friend. And where you come from.

LUKE
    I saw part of the message he was…

Luke is cut short as the recorded image of the beautiful young Rebel princess is projected from Artoo’s face.

BEN
    I seem to have found it.

Luke stops his work as the lovely girl’s image flickers before his eyes.

LEIA
    General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father’s request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I’m afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.

There is a little static and the transmission is cut short. Old Ben leans back and scratches his head. Luke has stars in his eyes.

LUKE
    You fought in the Clone Wars?

BEN
    Yes. I was once a Jedi knight the same as your father.

LUKE
    No, my father didn’t fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter.

BEN
    That’s what your uncle told you. He didn’t hold with your father’s ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved.

LUKE
    I wish I’d known him.

BEN
    He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. I understand you’ve become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a good friend. Which reminds me…

Ben gets up and goes to a chest where he rummages around. As Luke finishes repairing Threepio and starts to fit the restraining bolt back on, Threepio looks at him nervously. Luke thinks about the bolt for a moment then puts it on the table. Ben shuffles up and presents Luke with a short handle with several electronic gadgets attached to it.

BEN
    I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn’t allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-wan on some damned-fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

THREEPIO
    Sir, if you’ll not be needing me, I’ll close down for awhile.

LUKE
    Sure, go ahead.

Ben hands Luke the saber.

LUKE
    What is it?

BEN
    Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of the Jedi knights. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster.

Luke pushes a button on the handle. A long beam shoots out about four feet and flickers there. The light plays across the ceiling.

BEN
    An elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.

Luke hasn’t really been listening.

LUKE
    How did my father die?

BEN
    A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

LUKE
    The Force?

BEN
    The Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together. You must learn the ways of the Force if you’re to come with me to Alderaan.

LUKE
    (laughing)
    Alderaan? I’m not going to Alderaan. I’ve got to go home. It’s late. I’m in for it as it is.

BEN
    I need your help, Luke. She needs your help. I’m getting too old for this sort of thing.

LUKE
    I can’t get involved! I’ve got work to do! It’s not that I like the Empire. I hate it! But there’s nothing I can do about it right now. It’s such a long way from here.

BEN
    That’s your uncle talking.

LUKE
    (sighing)
    My uncle. How am I ever going to explain this?

BEN
    Learn about the Force, Luke.

LUKE
    Look, I can take you as far as Anchorhead. You can get a transport there to Mos Eisley or wherever you’re going.

BEN
    You must do what you feel is right, of course.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Question Thread.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

This is eye opening. I never noticed C-3PO is moving again after he closes down, let alone the scene is switched around. In the original script Leia's Hologram sparks Luke's curiosity. In the movie Luke is already curious and Leia's holographic plea for help is immediately followed up by Ben's pitch for Luke to learn the ways of the Force and go to Alderaan. But as written Ben is actually selling Luke on the mission for the entire scene.

It subtly but dramatically changes the motivation in the scene.

This really informs what Alec Guiness is doing with his acting. With the hologram shown first, as written, the importance of the message is lost on Luke. His big take away is to ask Obi-Wan if he fought in the Clone Wars. The rest of the scene is Ben building up to sell Luke on going with him. Ben really needs Luke's help if this is going to work, but Ben can't tell Luke that directly. So Ben talks to Luke in an evasive way to spark questions in Luke and draw out his interest.

With the Hologram happening near the end of the scene it feels like Luke is pushing Ben for answers from the start. Ben doesn't seem like he's completely comfortable being asked these questions. Seen in this order, Ben's wistful reluctance in answering Luke's questions gives the impression Ben is holding something back and giving the truth from a certain point of view. Seeing this scene again after watching the whole Original Trilogy it gives the impression Alec Guiness must have already known Darth Vader was Anakin and Leia and Luke are twins and he is holding back that info.

13. Ando123

Ando123 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2017
    What was the explanation for Darh Vader's wounds before the prequels came out?

I'm not asking how Darth Vader got his wounds because we saw it in The Revenge of the Sith, but for so many years, from 1976 to 1999 (actually 2005 but nvm) there was no official explanation (I think) for Vader's wounds. Nobody wondered why he needed that mask, armor, respirator, and why his right hand was robotic? I find it kinda hard to believe that this was never explained, but it wasn't.
    The only mention I remember about this matter is Obi Wan telling Luke that Vader is now more "machine than human" when Luke said he wanted to turn him back to the good side in EP6. With this I guess the movie wanted to relate that with being evil, like maybe he voluntarily became kinda robotic in purpose, but that doesn't make too much sense to me.

Anyone have any idea? or at least theories people often believed about it?

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Vader kills Luke's father, then Ben and Vader have a confrontation, just like they have in Star Wars [A New Hope], and Ben almost kills Vader. As a matter of fact, he falls into a volcanic pit and gets fried and is one destroyed being. That's why he has to wear the suit with a mask, because it's a breathing mask. It's like a walking iron lung."

— George Lucas, August 25, 1977 (Rolling Stone)

DarthIshyZ, Lt. Hija and Ando123 like this.
  15. Ando123

Ando123 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2017
    Very interesting. Thank you.

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It's even strengthen in the ROTJ novel. Obi-Wan says that he fought Vader near the lava pits, he fell in and that's why he needs the suit. We've known why Vader needs it, we just never saw the exact way he got it until ROTS.

17. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Has it ever been discussed how the Mandelorian (and by extension, Stormtrooper) helmets seal when put on? There doesn't seem to be a "coupling" like there is on an Earth space suit.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

18. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAR WARS!

Still find it hard to believe that it's been 40 years - I still and vividly remember my mom's best friend telling her "Don't worry, it's a passing phase. He'll be done with Star Wars in 6 months". [face_laugh]

Or my best friend in high school "People will still talk about Saturday Night Fever after Star Wars has been long forgotten". [face_laugh]

DarthIshyZ

I don't remember that this has ever been really discussed. When Luke (and Han) take their stormtrooper helmets off in ANH there doesn't seem to be some kind of elaborate sealing mechanism. I've always assumed that the two stormtrooper helmets they were wearing were merely providing protection against chemical warfare - with the cylinder stormtroopers wear on their backs not being a gas mask container (as it had been for German WW II soldiers) but rather some kind of short term oxygen supply.

Of course, that doesn't exclude variations of the black stormtrooper body suit worn below the armor pieces, i.e. including vacuum-proof variations.

Bazinga'd and DarthIshyZ like this.
  19. Ando123

Ando123 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2017
    This is dumb but it's a thing that has been bothering me since forever.

I always thought the "mouth" of the stormtrooper helmets was the part in the red circle, but I found out some people (maybe most) say the mouth is the thing in the green circle. No matter how I try it, I cannot unsee the mouth in the red circle. Is there a legit answer to this?

[​IMG]

20. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Ando123

I don't think i's a dumb thing, on the contrary, the vertical (breathing) slots on the stormtrooper helmet are reminscent of Vader's "mouth"piece (which is probably part of his breathing apparatus, too), perhaps that's where you got the idea and/or feeling from.

Funny thing is that I, too, alway get a "mouth" impression when I see a stormtrooper helmet - and that's been that way for almost 40 years. ;)

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Lt. Hija For some reason, I remember around the time TFA was released there was a discussion somewhere about storm trooper masks, and how they were more akin to filters then self contained breathing apparatus. My recollection is that the discussion came up in the context of storm troopers being susceptible to environments that lack oxygen, i.e., smoke filled room.

22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bazinga'd

Yes, it's not just a breathing apparatus but an A.B.C.-gas mask, otherwise any opponent could just stop stormtrooper advancement by contaminating the environment and the air they breathe.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Finn did say that the helmets "filter out smoke, not toxins" in the actual movie.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    At least some stormtroopers' helmets can vacuum seal to protect them in space. At the end of Rogue One, a few troopers are in the room with Vader as he watches the Tantive IV escape.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Really? :oops: ("Put on your gas masks, we'll flood the building with nerve gas, that will keep the First Order stormtroopers out or take care of these...") 8-} (Good thing we are talking about OT stormtroopers, I assume the Galactic Empire had the means to mass produce helmets that also contain gas masks)

timmoishere

Makes sense to me as these stormtroopers belonged to a boarding party entering an immobilized spaceship. There could be many atmospheric leaks because of battle damage, hence vacuum-protected stormtroopers with an extra supply of oxygen.

DarthIshyZ likes this.