main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he would be a pretender. A wannabe.

There were many Sith once, yes. But it was precisely because of their numbers and infighting that the the last and sole survivor (Darth Bane) reformed them. He was the last of them, and had both the authority and legitimacy to do it. Sidious, being the latest Sith Master, is a completely legitimate Sith. And as such he has the authority to enforce and dictate the ways of the Sith.

Then again, the EU did its best to needlessly deviate from what Lucas created and established.

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    How could they "deviate" from something that was untenable by definition. Even during Bane's time (yes, in Legends) the RoT was flexible. At one time there was only one Sith. At one time three.

However, noone went against it as much as Sidious. When he took Maul as an apprentice, there were three Sith for a long while, until Palpatine killed Plagueis. Thus my original question.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Even RotJ is fundamentally about Sidious, Vader and Luke jockeying around each other for the two spots. It’s just that Luke was not yet corrupted, and Vader surprised everyone by turning.

We have Anakin, Dooku and Sidious jockeying for the two spots in RotS, Dooku being entirely unaware in that moment - and having offered Kenobi a position in AotC. That’s before we take into account the Canon involving Ventress, Savage, Maul and Vos.

Two Sith and their Sith candidates. Right there. On screen. In Canon.

And the EU cannot be blamed for needless deviations. The Rule of Two was invented for the prequels. Palpatine was not even a Sith for years. Lumiya existed for many years before the prequels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How is it untenable?

One Sith doesn't necessarily break the rule. Three does. But then again, that's EU.

There were never three Sith when Sidious was alive. Only two. Plagueis until he killed him. Maul later on until he was defeated and replaced by Tyranus. And finally Vader when Tyranus was defeated as well.

Candidates are not Sith. That's what they are candidates for. They could be used to defeat one of the Sith, and that's why Sidious dealt with each one of them when he was made aware.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  5. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Fine, @Alexrd. You win. Please stop discussing my question, folks. Nothing to see here. Move along.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Being defeated in TPM doesn't cause Maul to "cease being a Sith". Maybe Sidious can "kick Maul out of the Sith Order" but he doesn't know Maul is even alive until TCW.

So, until Sidious both knew Maul was alive, and "kicked him out of the Sith Order" with a big speech to Maul, there were 3 Sith Lords alive.

Ventress and Vos might not have been "true Sith" but Savage was trained enough by Maul, and an apprentice rather than just a "candidate" - that the Databank consistently refers to the two as "Sith warriors" and "Sith brothers".

So, Savage at least was "Sith" from Maul's perspective, and from "the SW universe's" perspective, regardless of what Sidious chose to think.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not really relevant. He was replaced. The moment that happened, no matter his fate, he ceased to be a Sith Lord.

There were two Sith Lords alive and one ex-Sith Lord.

Being trained in the ways of the Sith and being a Sith are two different things. Ventress and Savage had training but are not Sith and could never be Sith as long as both Sidious and Tyranus (the de facto Sith Lords) existed. Being trained by an ex-Sith Lord doesn't change that fact. Not even Tyranus has the authority to name either one of them a Sith Lord as long as Sidious was alive.

Maul was a pretender and he knew it, no matter what he told to himself and Savage. That's why he avoided Sidious and tried to stay out of his radar. That's why he was completely scared when he sensed Sidious approaching and tried to excuse himself by saying that he was doing it all for his former Master.

Again, the whole point of that scene was to make everything clear, both out and in-universe: there are only two Sith. And Maul was no longer one for over a decade, wether he knew it or not.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In your opinion. But is this the case in Lucas's opinion? Lucas authorised the return of Darth Maul - did he, in communication with Filoni, refer to Maul as an "ex Sith" or an "ex Sith Lord"? I doubt it.

A case could be made that "trainees of Sith Lords" are Sith themselves - that there's two tiers of Sith - Sith Trainee and Sith Lord.

With Maul's survival, effectively recreating the pre-Darth Bane era of "multiple Sith Lords"

IMO what makes a person a Sith Lord or not is training - not "the opinion of the current Sith Master".

If a pre-Bane Sith Lord were preserved in carbonite, and were to be released during the Sidious era, they wouldn't suddenly "cease to be a Sith Lord" because there are two Sith already present.

The guy would be a "fully trained Sith" and that is what matters.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I literally quoted from the storyline where Maul comes back and from the only character who's the authority on this issue (whose scene and dialogue was made precisely to reinforce that fact). So yes.

There are two tiers of Sith: the master and the apprentice. Trainees are neither. But they can become apprentices, once one of the Sith is gotten rid of and the trainee is named a Sith by the remaining Sith Lord. That's why Sidious kept them all in check and/or dealt with them.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I see Palpatine as "stripping Maul of the title of Sith" not "informing Maul that he has not been a Sith for 13 years".

"You have become a rival" and "You are no longer my apprentice" don't mean "You are not Sith anymore and have not been one for a long time."

Maul has become (unintentionally) a rival Sith Master - at least, until that fight.

Read the Savage Opress biography gallery - and Maul is called "a resurrected Sith Lord" and the two are called "Sith brothers" consistently all the way through:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/savage-opress-biography-gallery

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Two questions:

1. Is a Valacord what Max Rebo plays in ROTJ?

2. Why does it look like Vader is twisting the cap off of a soda bottle every time he is about to shoot in his advanced x1 tie fighter in ANH?

12. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Max Rebo plays the Red Ball Organ.

Vader isn't "popping the top" but manually adjusting his targeting lock. Explanations have it that the X-1 targeting system could be manually controlled to compensate for jamming.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What he said was:

"Remember the first and only reality of the Sith. There can only be two. And you are no longer my apprentice. You have been replaced."

He wasn't replaced in that moment. He was replaced long ago. Maul knew how it works, he knew he was replaced and he knew who replaced him. Sidious is just reinforcing this fact to him and to the audience that might have been confused by it all (even though as far as I'm concerned, everything has always been pretty clear).

He had become a rival as opposed to an ally. There's no rival Sith Master. He's not a Master, he never was. He never earned that, since it required getting rid of Sidious. Like I said earlier, Maul was in denial the whole time, the fact that he secretly claimed himself and Savage as Sith Lords proves it. He was playing pretend, and he wanted to do it for as long as possible, hence why he avoided (and feared) Sidious.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  14. AlexBattleR

AlexBattleR Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2018
    When will Chevassa begin to grow old? Does anyone know?)

15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    What are the respective ranges of all those different types of blasters? It seems on Wookieepedia they are ridiculously short for such advanced weapons. Is range affected by atmosphere? What happens when you shoot at something out of range? Does a blaster ray simply "stop" or disappear, or can you still see it while it's no longer effective/harmless? In the movies we don't see blaster rays fade away after some distance but they seem to go on to infinity. In ANH the Falcon's blasters seem to have an impossibly short range. When they chase that TIE to the DS the ship is clearly visible ahead, just about a hundred meters away, but Han says "it's almost in range". The ship's cannons couldn't even fire that far??? I think even a WWII fighter could have done better. And what about targeting computers? By any logic Han could have destroyed that TIE and gotten away LONG before getting caught in the tractor beam. The fastest ship in the galaxy but its weapons are this useless?[face_dunno]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am not suggesting that Star Wars Science = Real World Science but in the RW, the laws of physics impose certain physical limitations on lasers. The same is probably true in the SWU.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Sure there are limitations, I get that. But come on, the galaxy's fastest pirate ship can't hit a target only 100 meters away, in vacuum??? In that very same universe we have a battle station maybe only 1/10000 the mass of Alderaan with lasers powerful enough to blow up something that much bigger, in a matter of seconds. Things just don't add up for me here. The Falcon should by all logic have more powerful and accurate weapons than a much smaller TIE fighter, yet is unable to hit one that's practically right in front of its nose? The Slave I in AOTC was much further away from Kenobi's starfighter in AOTC, with asteroids blocking shots, with Kenobi doing all kinds of evasive maneuvers, but it still gave Kenobi a real hard time evading those shots. The TIE in ANH was practically static right in front of the Falcon and Han still wouldn't hit it. In all the saga I don't think there was an easier target than that.

18. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    The short answer is Science Fiction, GL understood **** all about physics for the time and plot convenience.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...ary-will-be-revolutionized-by-laser-weaponry/

While in vacuum there is the issue of power availability, generating optics and just because space is a vacuum it doesn't mean that there is not something else to act as an inhibitor

"

19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Same reason that when the hero says "WE HAVE 30 SECONDS TO STOP THIS OR WE ALL DIE!" And you time that 30 seconds as 20 seconds. Building in anxiety.

20. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    That is a good question whose rationalization requires creativity. Either coming out of hyperspace has temporarily rendered weapons useless and Solo is making up excuses or his targeting computer is so bad / still offline that he'd have to man one of the gunports to blast this particular TIE fighter. :p

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ben's the one who said Han was wasting his time and that it's too far out of range though.

22. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    What difference does that make? Solo reacts to Kenobi's statement "It’s too far out of range." with "Not for long…", i.e. he doesn't object and confirms Kenobi's claim.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The point is that we can't put it down solely to "Han is incompetent" or "The Falcon has very bad targeting systems".

Ben is an experienced starfighter pilot (TCW, AOTC, ROTS) and should be expected to know what's "viable targeting range" for anti-fighter weapons in general.

Emperor Ferus and DarthIshyZ like this.
  24. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    And, IMO, he's simply saying, "Let's just go. Let's get away from it. Don't bother. Don't want to say he's scared, but the last thing he wants is for "the New Hope" to be captured by the Empire and chasing an Imperial craft is one way to do it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Han was basically taking the Death Star plans into the very heart and bowels of the Empire itself where, if they all got caught, the Rebellion is basically screwed. Granted they had no idea Leia was onboard, but I’m pretty sure Obi-Wan didn’t want to put the Rebellion into greater risk by practically delivering the plans back to the Empire (unintentionally, of course.)

Also, it’s possible Han’s curiosity was getting the better of him and he wanted to see where the TIE fighter was going. I mean, you’ve got this little fighter out in the middle of what was once Alderaan, Han’s bound to wonder how he got there. It wasn’t until they were trapped in the tractor beacon that he changed his mind, but too late then.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Iron_lord and DarthIshyZ like this.