main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Holy ****. That is the most profound of any intra-saga film comparisons I've ever read

Bail B. Baobab and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I just like the question because it's about Luke Skywalker but not in the OT.

I'm vaguely considering getting a stopwatch to compare but I'm pretty sure the actual Luke Skywalker screentime in TFA is more than in ROTS, although ROTS baby Luke has more dialogue. I think in both TFA and ROTS, Luke is in a total of two scenes. He's in the scene with his birth and being dropped off with Owen and Beru, that's 2 scenes for Baby Luke as two scenes with Old Luke..., the one shot of him in Rey's vision and the final scene.

3. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Does anyone know of a cannon reason or a well-known speculation as to why Leia gives Vader a weird looks after he points Fett's blaster away from Chewie in TESB? The whole shot is focused on her face. Does she sense something?

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back-1980/63/

That's a very good observation (and IMHO a testament to Kershner's skills as a director), I haven't seen this one mentioned before.

Han breaks away from his captors. Vader nods to the guards to let him
    go and the pirate breaks up the fight.

HAN Chewie! Chewie, this won't help
    me. Hey!

Han gives the Wookiee a stern look.

HAN Save your strength. There'll be
    another time. The princess - you
    have to take care of her. You
    hear me?

While Han is saying that, it appears to me that Leia Looks to Vader hoping there'd be some form of confirmation (a nod perhaps) that at least her and Chewie may somehow stay together. Obviously she doesn't get any confirmation but nevertheless plays along in an effort to calm Chewie down before things get ugly.

Interestingly, none of that reflects in the screenplay, so it was probably a last minute addition by Kershner on the studio set.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  5. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Are you talking about this?
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't call it "weird".

It's sheer terror. Look at her, she's frozen in fear. Leia is always this powerful, defiant whirlwind, but in this one scene, she's terrified. She looks like a little girl (which, if you pay attention when the camera zooms out as she's watching Han lowered into the chamber, you can see how small Carrie Fisher really is). Immediately after this still image, she backs down, shrinking, like a frightened child. She's backing away from a monster.

Vader is the man that tortured her in ANH. He just got done torturing the man she loves, and now he's going to freeze him.

She's basically looking at a real life boogie man.

It's one of the few moments where Leia is truly, utterly vulnerable. She's completely helpless to stop what's about to happen.

It's a fantastic bit of acting by Carrie, perhaps her best acting in the trilogy.

7. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    CT-867-5309

Thanks for responding! Yes, that's the look I'm talking about. I never thought of it that way before. Yeah, she does look vulnerable.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I would also argue that was the best acted scene in the whole saga to date.

Anakin.Skywalker and Lt. Hija like this.
  9. Arashiro

Arashiro Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2016
    Where does Darth vader appear?
    I need fight scenes or just scenes where he's a badass in general for a video.
    Games, movies, series, everything is good as long as he's fighting and it's a video :)

10. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Fighting in holy combat for Elsa of Brabant? No wait, that's Lohengrin. :p

11. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Rogue One Spoilers:
    So, um, how did Obi-Wan "serve" Bail Organa during the Clone Wars? I mean, up until this point, I always figrued she meant that he served him through the senate, but his line in Rogue One made it seem more specifically that he served him directly.

12. 2pado

2pado Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Hey, i'm trying to read all (if not most) of Star wars legends novels, and i was wondering if i need to play The old republic MMO before reading the TOR novels. I'm aware i have to play KOTOR before reading "Revan" but as for the rest, i dunno. I really loathe playing MMOs (specially the paid ones) and i really dont want to play TOR, any advices?

J7Luke likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

In one of the Force Unleashed games, there are Vader fight scenes.

14. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I always had the sense the upright Jedi fighting style was specifically designed to combat blaster fire.

Even their training invovles deflecting laser attacks.

Could there be any truth to this?

15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
  16. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    How, in RO and TFA, can a Hyperdrive be used while in atmosphere? Doesn't that contradict the concept of Hyperspace Lanes? Or is it that the Hyperdrive could be used anywhere, but charted lanes are the safest to travel? That still doesn't explain how Hyperspace was opened while on a planet.

J7Luke and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  17. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Han has to take the time to calculate a hyperspace jump when the Falcon leaves Tatooine in SW 1977. So custom hyperspace jumps are definitely a possibility. As you said, it's a question of safety.

See also: why the Guild Navigators use prescience and the spice melange to pilot Heighliners. ;)

Snax Rebo likes this.
  18. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017

The Guild Navigator example clears things up a bit. I've always been interested in how Hyperdrives work. Rebels had a line about how once a system has been visited, it's logged into the hyperdrive and a (I assume private) lane is created.

J7Luke likes this.
  19. smithy15493

smithy15493 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2017
    Apologies if these have been answered somewhere

But how did the Empire get so many people on their side, with however many thousands of stormtroopers, people working on the deathstar etc. How did they amass such an army that they had the power the build entire new planets from such a large following?

And with the destruction of the death stars, how did they keep up the numbers when its likely a hell of a lot of their men died in the explosions?

With the rebels being the good guys, why do they seem to be outnumbered massively when surely millions of people across the galaxy would want to join them to beat the evil empire?

20. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Because the Empire, as the legal successor to the Republic, stands for "law and order," while the Rebel Alliance is a group of terrorists intent on bringing down the government.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    That begs an interesting question. Palpatine essentially declared himself an empire before eventually dissolving the Senate. Did the Senate authorize this or ratify his unilateral action? If not, there is an argument that the Empire is not the legal successor.

22. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    "So this is how liberty dies -- with thunderous applause." Most of the Senators were okay with Palpatine turning the Republic into the Empire, by de facto means if not de jure ones. The very people who were supposed to prevent that sort of power-grab let it pass unchallenged. Their silence provided consent.

23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Presumably, you mean this concept.

Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit (He who is silent, when he ought to have spoken and was able to, is taken to agree.

— Latin proverb

or, maybe the cheering was affirmation or confirmation of Palpatine's actions.

J7Luke likes this.
  24. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    What happened to Lando between ROTJ and TFA?

25. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    In either case, the outcome is that the creation of the Empire received the approval of the majority of the Republic Senate. Which means that in some respect, the Empire is a proper legal successor state to the Republic.

Naturally, the Rebel Alliance disagrees. But as I said, they're a bunch of terrorist conspirators who want to bring down the established government.

J7Luke likes this.