main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Darth Binky

Darth Binky Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 24, 1999
    And he also flung Obi-Wan into that pit.

Where does this come from? As I recall, the ROTS novelization hinted that Plagueis was responsible for Anakin, but I'm not familiar with the rest.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That came from the Darth Plagueis novel. Approximately 10 years prior to TPM, Plagueis is performing lots of midi-chlorian experiments, including attempting to Force-impregnate women. Palpatine doesn't think anything of it until he meets Anakin on Coruscant and realizes that this child was the result of Plagueis' experiments.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just assumed Maul wasn't powerful enough to achieve Force Lightning.

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Need to make sure 'Force-impregnate' retains that capital letter!

DjangoKet likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not the way it's put in the novel. Palpatine's conclusion is not actually stated, but left unsaid. And Plagueis's fear seems to be that, because of his experimentation, the Force has "struck back" at him by creating The Chosen One. On top of that, that chapter of the book- 29- is even called The Force Strikes Back:

Darth Plagueis,
    page 433-436:

Dooku chose his next words carefully. "Qui-Gon returned from Tatooine with a former slave boy. According to Qui-Gon, the boy had no father."
    "A clone?" Palpatine said uncertainly.
    "Not a clone," Dooku said. "Perhaps conceived by the Force. As Qui-Gon believes."
    Palpatine's head snapped back "You don't sit on the Council. How do you know this?"
    "I have my ways."
    "Does this have anything to do with the prophesy you spoke of?"
    "Everything. Qui-Gon believes that the boyAnakin is his name—stands at the center of a vergence in the Force, and believes further that his finding him was the will of the Force. Blood tests were apparently performed, and the boy's concentration of midi-chlorians is unprecedented."
    "Do you believe that he is the prophesied one?"
    "The Chosen One," Dooku amended. "No. But Qui-Gon accepts it as fact, and the Council is willing to have him tested."
    "What is known about this Anakin?"
    "Very little, except that he was born into slavery nine years ago and was, until recently, along with his mother, the property of Gardulla the Hutt, then a Toydarian junk dealer." Dooku smirked. "Also that he won the Boonta Eve Classic Podrace."
    Palpatine had stopped listening.
    Nine years old ... Conceived by the Force ... Is it possible?
    His thoughts rewound at frantic speed: to the landing platform on which he and Valorum had welcomed Amidala and her group. Actually not Amidala, but one of her look-alikes. But the sandy-haired boy, this Anakin, swathed in filthy clothing, had been there, along with a Gungan and the two Jedi. Anakin had spent the night in a tiny room in his apartment suite.
    And I sensed nothing about him.
    "Qui-Gon is rash," Dooku was saying. "Despite his fixation with the living Force, he demonstrates his own contradictions by being a true believer in the prophesy—a foretelling more in line with the unifying Force."
    "Nine years old," Palpatine said when he could. "Surely too old to be trained."
    "If the Council shows any sense."
    "And what will become of the boy then?"
    Dooku's shoulders heaved. "Though no longer a slave, he will probably be sent to rejoin his mother on Tatooine."
    "I understand your disillusionment," Palpatine said.
    Dooku shook his head. "I haven't told you all of it. As if the announcement of having found the Chosen One wasn't enough, Qui-Gon discovered that the Trade Federation may have had the help of powerful allies in planning and executing the blockade of Naboo."
    Palpatine sat straighter in the chair. "What allies?"
    "On Tatooine, Qui-Gon dueled with an assassin who is well trained in the Jedi arts. But he dismissed the idea that the assassin is some rogue Jedi. He is convinced that the warrior is a Sith."

Ignoring the reactions of apprehensive residents and wary security personnel, Plagueis hastened along a plush corridor in 500 Republica toward Palpatine's suite of crimson rooms. He had planned to be at the Senate Building to hear Amidala's call for a vote of no-confidence in Valorum, which would strike the first death knell for the Republic. At the last moment, however, Palpatine had contacted him to recount a conversation he had had with Dooku. The fact that Qui-Gon Jinn had identified Maul as a Sith was to be expected; but Dooku's news about a human boy at the center of a vergence in the Force had come as a shock. More, Qui-Gon saw the boy as the Jedi's Chosen One!
    He had to see this Anakin Skywalker for himself; had to sense him for himself. He had to know if the Force had struck back again, nine years earlier, by conceiving a human being to restore balance to the galaxy.
    Plagueis came to a halt at the entry to Palpatine's apartment. Eventually, one of Queen Amidala's near-identical handmaidens came to the door, a vision in a dark cowled robe. Her eyes fixed on the breath mask.
    "I'm sorry, sir," she said. "Senator Palpatine is not here.
    "I know," Plagueis said. "I'm here to speak with the guest of the Senator. A young human boy."
    Her eyes remained glued on the mask. "I'm not permitted—"
    Damask motioned swiftly with his left hand, compelling her to answer. "You have my permission to speak."
    "I have your permission," she said in a distracted voice.
    "Now where is the boy?"
    "Anakin, you mean."
    "Anakin, yes," he said in a rush. "He's the one. Fetch him—now!"
    "You just missed him, sir," the handmaiden said.
    Plagueis peered past her into Palpatine's suite. "Missed him?" He straightened in anger. "Where is he?"
    "Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn came to collect him, sir. I suspect that you can find him at the Jedi Temple."
    Plagueis fell back a step, his thoughts reeling.
    There was still a chance that the Council would decide that Anakin was too old to be trained as a Jedi. That way, assuming he was returned to Tatooine ...
    But if not ... if Qui-Gon managed to sway the Council Masters, and they reneged on their own dictates ...
    Plagueis ran a hand over his forehead. Are we undone? he thought. Have you undone us?

In Book of Sith though:

Plagueis (page 134):

Luke's written annotation:

Another passage regarding the Chosen One prophecy itself, and Plagueis' experiments with the midi-chlorians (page 143):

Maybe both are true: Plagueis's experimental attempt to will the birth of a Forceful being, which he thought at the time was unsuccessful (Darth Plagueis, page 349)- created Anakin, and, the Force "struck back" by making use of Plagueis's own actions?​

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  6. Lord Schtam

Lord Schtam Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2014
    Does anyone know how many times the Jedi, the Republic and the Sith (almost) were exterminated respectively?

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    (BBY: Before Battle of Yavin: ABY: After Battle of Yavin)

Jedi, I can think of 3 major collapses in numbers to a mere handful.

KoTOR II (Traya Sion & Nihilus were responsible for sending out the assassins that caused the massacre in 3,954 BBY)

RoTS (Palpatine, Anakin, and the Clone Army were responsible: 19 BBY)

Legacy Comics (Darth Krayt's One Sith were responsible - 130-odd ABY)

Sith:

Aftermath of Great Hyperspace War in 5000 BBY (only Naga Sadow, the Lost Tribe, and those led by Lord Tenebrae, who fled into hiding with them, and became the Sith Emperor, survived)

Aftermath of The Sith War in 4000-odd BBY: Exar Kun, apprentice of Nadd, who was possibly an apprentice- is defeated, but transforms himself into a Sith Spirit. His forces are hunted down.

Battle of Ruusan in 1000 BBY (only Darth Bane survived, immediately taking an apprentice - Darth Zannah)

Palpatine's second death in 9 ABY (only apprentice-types like Lumiya and maybe Vergere if you count her as Sith, remained)

For the moment I'm focusing on the Baneite Sith and their predecessors.

It's possible that the Sith Emperor's Sith, after the events of The Old Republic (3600-odd BBY- in which they returned, conquered half the Republic, imposed a truce, and a few years afterward started fighting with the Republc again), died out before Darth Ruin revived the Sith Order in 2000 BBY- but that period is not covered yet in any novel - so we don't know.

AshiusX and Lord Schtam like this.
  8. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    What are the names of the months in the galaxy? How many months in a galactic year? How many weeks in a month, and how many days in a week?

I did notice though that Wookieepedia doesn't give an exact DOB for characters, just years.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently a week is 5 standard days. There are 12 months in a year (originally 10, each with 7 weeks, and with, on top of the normal months, Fete Weeks and holidays, but later sources retconned this). And a year is 368 days.

Not sure if WEG gave months or days specific names though.

Padawan Fangirl likes this.
  10. Hobyoda42

Hobyoda42 Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2014
    Why do people ask so many dumb questions?

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Because this is the Star Wars fanbase we're talking about

12. Hobyoda42

Hobyoda42 Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2014
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I have no idea where to ask this other than here, so mods please move it to the appropriate place if this (most likely lol) isn't the right place

Does anyone know if the 2011 versions of the saga are available on DVD format?

14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's the right place - DVDs of the 2011 cuts are available, but AFAIK, not by themselves, you have to get two separate sets which have Blu-Rays as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Episodes-IV-VI-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9PMMX0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390208147&sr=8-2&keywords=star wars blu ray
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Episodes-I-III-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9PMML2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390208147&sr=8-3&keywords=star wars blu ray

EDIT: Looks like DVD-only sets are also available, but one release is Italian, the other is Region 2 only.

15. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Here's a random question: what was Bocce originally meant to be? I'm not looking for EU answers; I've read the Wookieepedia article and I have the Galactic Phrasebook. I know what Bocce is now. What I want to know is what it referred to when the script to ANH was written. Was it just a random allusion to provide depth, or was it an actual in-universe language? When I was young I thought it might be the Jawa language (which doesn't make a lot of sense in hindsight).
    I know the Radio Drama has Beru referring to "Domestic Bocce". So was it some kind of droid or programming language? Was it in ANH? Anybody know? Or care?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine it was meant to be something specifically - Lucas isn't Tolkien. If it was meant to have a specific meaning, a droid or programming language would make contextual sense.

Barbecue17 and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  17. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Oh no, I don't think any sort of conlang lay behind it, that's for sure.
    As for a droid language, I've also wondered if Bocce = the binary language of moisture vaporators.
    I guess I'm just hoping there's some tidbit in the early drafts or some such.

18. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Sorry to double post, but I'm not sure how to edit. Just remembered that Owen asks about Bocce as well as the binary language. I'm an idiot.

19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Looking at the times of the posts, the time period in which you're allowed to edit had probably expired anyway (it's about half an hour).

And BTW, for all who aren't aware of it - there's a bug on the forums which affects Firefox v23 and above, where the edit function initially comes up as a blank white screen, you then just have to click the 'More options' button to edit your post.

20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Ah, that explains it, as I am using firefox.....

What is the conversion rate between credits and dollars? Is there an official source?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Theres isn't. And if there was- the economy may be very different in any case:

22. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I suppose yes, but the TIE technology is much more prevalent in Star Wars than advanced fighter jets are, at least by quantity.

23. Polydroxol

Polydroxol Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2014
    I apologize if this has already been answered but, why didn't Obi-Wan start training Luke as a Jedi when he was young? If he had, a fully-trained Luke with Obi-Wan, could have defeated Vader, and maybe the Emperor even before the Saga started. I would understand if Obi-Wan was against training him, but he seemed pretty willing and eager when the time came around.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Because Yoda and Obi-Wan recognized that the old Jedi methods of training apprentices from infancy was starting to fail. The Jedi Order was stagnating. They wanted Luke to grow up in a loving family first and foremost, to have that as a foundation for Luke's future training.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And yet Yoda still declares Luke "too old to begin the training" in ESB.