main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Ender, I'm so very deeply sorry that someone threatened your self-identification with a children's story character by playing someone who was teased in their youth in manner that's consistent with the sort of personalities young adults would often tease. Maybe he should just have more sex and commit more murders so that you can comfortably fantasize about how awesome it all is without having to worry about anything like realism.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but how many aspie superheroes are there?

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And here...we...go.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Because the comics portray the existence of the MCU in a similarly unbelievable fashion yet somehow manage to make it seem believable?

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK I will concede Wocky that the latest episode is, in fact, a bit silly.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Can we ask at least agree this is the best live action Penguin origin story ever?

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    "No one kills councilmen, it's cheaper to bribe them."

I just want more stuff like that from this show. Also the killer's apologetic "I really did vote for you," line, that was darkly hilarious.

It still feels like they're figuring out the dynamic for each character on here. Also, hey, way to go! Fish dropped her accent for like two lines and it was great! So is she this very street-level thug who's jumped up to being a boss, and we get these cracks in her veneer every so often? That'd be pretty cool, like her "unsophisticated" accent slips through every so often.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I admit, I would've enjoyed if they had dipped into the Arkhamverse and given Oswald a Cockney accent like his counterpart there.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I think the Penguin arc is one of the more interesting parts of the show so far. It's neat to see him work his way up the mob ladder. And I'm amused by Angel from Dexter playing Maroni.

I do wish that they would stop Gordon's weekly visit to Wayne Manor, though. I know that they want to give Bruce more screen time (and the kid is probably one of the better child actors on TV) but there are other ways of doing it rather than the seemingly obligatory visitation.

Regarding the eye-poker: looks like Fox is trying to become the HBO of basic cable with graphic visuals (not to mention Mooney's kiss with that one girl and the ensuing catfight--stuff that would probably make Littlefinger all giddy).

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's been noticeable for the last two episodes also. Whenever Fish is talking publicly or to the GCPD it's very over-the-top with the hyper-pronounced drawl (Haaaaaaaar-veyyyy). When she talks one-on-one to Falcone it is reigned in and somewhat more like a New Orleans accent. But whenever she is talking to just her crew it's almost Jada's regular speaking voice. It's like that when talking to Butch in Ep 2 until she bites out the last sentence, and the same when she is talking to Laslo before ordering his death.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You mean like how they did Arkham City on the map?

I agree with Quest here. The show has some good moments, and there's some perfect casting in terms of Bruce, Bullock, Penguin (Alfred should be posh, not working class like John Pertwee is going for).

And when Gladwell kills the second councilman, with the dark clouded sky of the Asylum behind him, you keep expecting Batman to show up which is a positive. But at other times, it's just... a police procedural where the bad guys get caught every episode.

Arrow took time to really find its voice and be less cheesy. So I'm hoping Gotham will too, despite being a different network entirely.

heels1785 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The Arkham City namedrop was...eh. We got it, guise. It was cute, I guess. But perhaps a bit unnecessary. Still, seeing gloomy, dilapidated Arkham Asylum made me throw a big grin for being one of those little details the show does right. Unlike, say, gruff, blue-collar Alfred. :p

I hope you're right and that the show finds its voice soon. More grit, and definitely less-to-no cheese. The police procedural thing is almost senseless given the level of corruption the city and its police department are mired in. Gordon should try to make a difference regardless how bleak things are and that, hopefully, his actions and example rub of on people like Bullock.

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Adios to those leaving the show. You'll be back...just like you were for Agents of Shield. This is seriously the same conversation that went down last year concerning AoS.

Yodaminch and DarthIntegral like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Alfred being "gruff" and blue collar was mostly a Earth One/Beware the Batman invention right? OK fine, and Michael Bloo'y Caine and his Sarf London voice. But a proper English butler would use received pronunciation at one extreme, or a rather Oxbridge-y post accent at the other. Remember, Alfred's either former MI6 - which at the time was an old boy's network, or hired from Buckingham Palace. None would tolerate "you oight then guv?" as a means of speaking.

So, whilst Michael Gough in the Burtonverse was far too old, and Michael Caine far to Sarf Lundun, Jeremy Irons in the BvS/DCCU is basically the best of allt he casting. Pertwee is doing a good job in all respects except his accent.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's the trick. Everyone thinks the show is about the birth of Batman. It's really about Alfred's accent going from Eliza Dolittle to public school.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's the little details. They practically cast Vinnie Bloody Jones in the role.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yeah but I still don't like AoS in my defence :p I acknowledge it's gotten much better but it's just not my thing.

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just saw the pilot then. I really like it.

Terrific tone, good cinematography, great performances and some descent writing. My only gripe is that they did exactly what I joked about earlier; spoon-feeding and foreshadowing.

"What's your name?" "Ivy" - standing next to a fern

"I have to conquer my fear" - Bruce

"I don't like being called Penguin" - Oswald

They actually did it! [face_laugh] But that's ok, there's too much other really good stuff in the show for those nitpicks to get in the way. I'll check out the second episode soon.

Oh yeah, get Christopher Eccleston to play Oswald's Dad. I said so.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well you've already got the son of one Doctor playng Alfred, having one of the Doctors play Penguin's Dad would be... Fantastic!

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I gotta say that Pertwee's opening shot when he walks in the alley was very Three, Nine and Twelve inspired in the way it had that intense authority about it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just caught up on the last few episodes. One thing I find striking is that the show really is a peculiar mash-up of the gritty crime drama of the Nolanverse (Fish/Falcone/Maroni) and some of the more wackier elements of the Adam West series (the children's show-polite attitudes of the kidnappers, the balloon man, etc). But so far, I think the mixture works, surprisingly enough- it's certainly not a ASM2-esque tonal mash-up disaster.

At the current pace, I'd be fine with the series spinning off into a Bat-concurrent version down the road, Sam & Twitch-style.

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I just saw the second episode today. Overall I like it but the key problem is in the foreshadowing and the constant nods to the fact that we are watching the villains in their making. Why do people call Oswald penguin? Is it his nose? Why does Edward tell riddles...compulsively? Why is Selina dressed like a cat burglar?

See, all the necessary elements for the story arc are there and they're really good. The trouble is, it's moving too fast and oversimplifying it which is why this show may not last long. If the show moves too slow and methodically develops the characters it runs the danger of just being a generic crime show but in moving too fast like it is the villains come into their own too quickly. We're definitely not going to see Batman this year so what sort of growth and development will be left for subsequent seasons to keep these villains interesting? I mean, Catwoman virtually is cat woman while Penguin really seems to be getting his start and it's only the second episode.

There was a mention in tonight's episode that the Wayne and Falcone families were in partnership - this is where the show should have started because on the surface we see a family oriented businessman only to slowly learn things aren't as squeaky clean as we think. From there, we learn of some possible motives for the murder which establishes an arc for Bruce. In becoming the Batman not only does he want to avenge the death of his parents and rid Gotham of crime, but also reconcile the sins of his father. So far the characters just seem to be behaving the way they are purely because of what they will become rather than showing us what aspect of their history informs those quirks of theirs. Anyone want to bet that we'll be introduced to Harvey Dent as a child or teenager that likes flipping a coin...because it's what he does?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Oswald shuffles when he walks, like a penguin.

This week's episode toned down the villain name dropping though.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    IIRC, the shuffling is due to someone busting his right kneecap in the pilot, twisting his leg at an angle. At least they didn't go with other birdlike deformities/mutations. All that's missing is the eye injury that'll make him wear a monocle...