main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Really enjoying Gotham - this past episode (#6) was amazing, probably the best one so far. Cobblepot is becoming a great villian, which is interesting since he seemed like such a nobody in the beginning episodes. The last scene of this past episode was great, though you could see it coming...

I think that those who are tuning into the show & expecting it to be a super-hero drama like Arrow, The Flash, etc. will be understandably dissapointed. I'm just taking it at face value - i.e., an urban crime drama/mystery, that just happens to be set in the Batman/DC universe years before Bruce Wayne becomes Batman. There are also some cool "easter eggs" to those of us who have read the Batman comics & are at least somewhat familiar with the Batman/DC universe...

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Agreed, this past episode was fantastic and I was medium on the show for the past five episodes. I think it helped that they left certain characters out, keep doing it! We don't need, "Mandatory character A must visit mandatory character B" every episode.

I hope it keeps it up.

3. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I know it bugs some of you but I am kind of ok when they blatantly shout "so and so is going to end up as such and such character". I am not going to get it unless they punch me in the face with it and when they do I find it amusing! Like the Riddler stuff this week. Totally cracked up with those scenes.

Sent from my iHorse

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So nice to see September again.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Great episode last night imo.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It was definitely one of the better episodes so far. Thankfully, with no lame villain of the week investigation to fudge things up.

What I liked:

1) Jim's FU moment to Mooney's goons in the apartment.
    2) Zsasz. Creepy MF even in this role as a Falcone hitman. Can't say I cared much for his female backups. It probably would've worked better and add to the intimidation aura he was trying to project if he had come in alone.
    3) Penguin. I daresay he's growing on me and the game he's playing is interesting to behold.
    4) Falcone. Even if the guy is (apparently) unaware of the "threat" he's facing with Mooney's "weapon", the guy exudes coolness and icy intimidation even in the face of an armed cop willing to go down in flames trying to take him down. No wonder he's the real power in Gotham in this stage of the game.
    5) Bullock's continuous march back into the good cop path, even though if forced this time by threat of imminent death.

What I disliked:

1) The GCPD. So you have this mob hitman waltzing into a precinct full of cops, threatening one of your fellow officers, and no one lifts a finger to help him? Worse, they get the hell out of dodge when being ordered by the hitman to do so?? I know the cops are corrupt and spineless but, c'mon, they should at least have a little self respect. Certain things just shouldn't fly.
    2) The obligatory look at me I'm a future Bat villain moment. Yes, we know it's Zsasz and we know how he likes to keep score. But his giving the coup de grace to the cop and adding the mark seemed, I dunno, unnecessary at this point. They could've kept that bit for another occasion.
    3) Barbara. I sincerely hope she doesn't become the recurring girl hostage in need of rescue. But sadly, now the mob knows who they can target if they want to keep Jim in line.
    4) Bruce and Alfred's presence seemed unnecessary. There really is no need to highlight all of the cast members in every single episode.

Regardless, the good outweighed the bad and it's more better episodes like this one just what the show needs.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    There was no Selina Kyle. How come that wasn't on your list?

edit:

Batman Begins is on now. It's somewhat extra satisfying to watch this if you imagine it somehow fitting into the same continuity as the show. :p

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

While re-watching Batman Begins, I noticed that Zsasz essentially played the same role there. Rachel describes him as a thug (or indeed "hitman"--can't remember which) for the mob.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok, good catch. And yes, Selina was in this episode too, at least in "the story so far" blurb at the beginning of the episode. :p

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I have to say, Carmine Falcone in the Gotham TV show definitely comes off as a much more menacing threat than his Batman Begins version.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    What a stupid episode this was. This was bad writing.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    And I don't think you can quite fit the Nolanbatverse with this show. The show will invariably spawn it's own distinct continuity. For example, I'm fairly certain the Waynes' murderer in this version wasn't one Joe Chill.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I know that they are their own separate stories. But imagining the connection is fun nonetheless. :p

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Gotham has really turned it up, these last two to three weeks. Outstanding episode last night.

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Really? I felt last night's episode was a total reset of what they've done. They had no other outs, so they just do a soft relaunch of the show. It was a pretty lame conclusion to the arc they started. The first half was strong but then they got stuck in this "oh wait we can't upset the status quo" mentality so they had to bring it all back to...whatever.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Last night's episode was the most interesting in weeks.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought it was pretty good, and I'm glad there was no villain of the week. That said, Barbara needs to be redeemed as a character quickly. She's dumber than a stump for plot convenience and there's so many stereotypes that she fits. I have a feeling she's going to get killed, unfortunately.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Nah. She has to survive, marry him, have the future Batgirl and then abandon/divorce his ass ten-fifteen years down the road. :p

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Batgirl came from an affair Jim had with his brother's wife. So that could be used and still have Barbara give birth to James Jr,. So either way is a viable option.

20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So Tommy Elliot is Bruce's childhood bully instead of friend now?

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd give them props were fixing problems quick though. May start new one's, but atleast DC will go out of their way to fix problems as quickly as possible. Worked for Arrow.

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    My...that was actually...a pretty decent episode.

Edit:

Well, it's not like Tommy Elliott was ever truly a friend... ;)

23. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Could turn friends.

Loved this episode. Gotham is really stepping it up.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

The secret about Tommy Elliott is that he's actually a terrible character :p

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    (sigh)And here I was hoping Bruce's only school chums would be Harvey Dent, Tommy Elliot, and Roman Sionis and the show could hammer in all the foreshadowing of 'all your friends now will be your greatest enemies later' schtick