main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I would prefer if he wasn't the joker. I would prefer if Alfred turned out to be Batman, Bruce is killed, Barbara becomes Catwoman, and that blonde secretary with little purpose that Riddler fancies becomes Harley, and Riddler becomes Bane. In an ideal world.

Darth Guy likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm hoping that Fish Mooney becomes Scarface and Butch is the Ventriloquist.

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I hope fish mooney becomes fish pie. Dullest villain ever

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I guess we should be glad that an inappropriately aged Dick Grayson wasn't around to play with a robin.

5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    joker was in last night's episode? i guess i need to stop reading during Gotham.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Dunno why you guys hate Fish, she's one of my favorites.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In retrospect, will you guys finally admit that Catwoman should have been a young Rachel Dawes instead?

Also, the series seems considerably duller without the Penguin/warring mobs subplot, which at least had interesting moments and surprises, instead of telegraphed character premieres.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I know heels1785 thinks poorly of io9, but this was a pretty good sum-up:

"So either Jerome is the Joker or he's not. So he's either got a pretty ****** origin in that an old dude knocked up his mom and he worked at a circus for a while, or he's not the Joker but a kid who acts exactly like the Joker will act in 15 or so years. I do not believe there's a winning answer here."

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    To be honest, I haven't seen the episode yet. io9 is a terrible website.

DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I like Fish in so far as she is the one character that we don't have any known trajectory for. We know Oswald becomes the Penguin. We know Maroni and Falcone will control things for some time at least. We know Gordon is going to become Commissioner. And we know Dent will eventually become Two-Face.

My problem, and it's been my problem with this show since the pilot, is that the writers can not wait. This is not an 8 episode series like Agent Carter. They had 13 episodes guaranteed with the full 22 rather early. And yet, way too often does this show seem to move start and stop with momentum. Some episodes are just dull, while others cram everything they can unnecessarily in.

And that's my issue with Fish. After so much build up to taking Falcone down, she shows mercy and pays for it. Fine. But that trajectory could have been better. Then we are treated to Butch rescuing her. And rather than escape, she returns to attack Penguin and then run from Zsasz now. Then she escapes. Only to be captured. Now she's plotting another escape.

And make no mistake, I had similar issues with Penguin- but at least his arc made a bit more sense and made even more sense when we learned of Falcone's involvement. It just feels like the writers have all these plots they are fighting to get done and Fish is just pushed off to the side until we need her. If this results in a great character arc, maybe it will be worth it. If not, then perhaps they should have just let her disappear after kissing Harvey or Falcone should have killed her.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, I totally agree re: Penguin. I was one of the more vocal "why the hell are we seeing this / why should we care about this?" people early in the thread -- and it's paid off, from basically that scene with Falcone onwards. I admit it.

With Fish, somewhat similar, but I actually loved her performance thus far because it was ALL "Catwoman from the 1960s series camp" -- which the show sorely needed -- and was one of the best actresses on the show. Combining that with someone who is, essentially, even more of a chameleon than Penguin was -- because she's a survivor, she will do anything to accomplish that -- made the character have a really good vibe (not to mention those costumes!).

I got the feeling that she actually really likes Falcone, but knows when the inevitable war begins that she'll end up a casualty unless she gets on top first. Which is a really interesting dynamic.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Still, her climb to power in that prison is terribly unbelievable imo.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, that scene crossed into nonsensical a bit (the organ harvesters just not shooting her immediately) but I liked Fish taking control of the group and building a family.

14. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Well, this just jumped the shark.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  16. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
  17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I actually enjoyed tonight's episode much more than last week's.

18. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok, I just have to ask:

How in the hell is THAT option 3?

Option 3 should have been kill one behind her quick, scoop out the other guy's eyeball to maim him and then threaten to do the same to the head guy or maybe break his arm or jab the spoon into his hand/thigh or something. Then have her say something like "When the Doctor returns, tell him I'll be waiting for him in the basement with my people" and then turn and walk away.

THAT would have at least suited Fish's character. This was grotesque for the sake of being grotesque. It made little sense from any negotiation point.

This only cements my issues with Gotham. Only two things save this show:
    Alfred
    Bullock

Bruce and Gordon are good, but without those two, they wouldn't be half as fun to watch. Penguin goes back and forth and right now, it disappoints me as we should really see Oswald turn into the club owner that will one day own the Iceberge Lounge.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, damn, Fish...

Re: Option 3...

I assume her intent was to rob them of a complete set? If she's not going to survive, she's going to deny them their prize(s).

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Irrelevant, but I've been rewatching TAS on Amazon Instant, and the first season is filled with silly episodes that aren't worthy of the legendary status I give them in my memories. :(

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Starting the series off with a Man-Bat episode was silly to me even back when it debuted. Thankfully the series survived that decision.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I enjoyed last night's episode. The Red Hood thing was cute.

I would agree that Oswald has regress into a lost puppy. I figured that Penguin would be handling his business like a boss by now.

Fish turning in
    Nick Fury was pretty badass. I'm looking forward to her meeting with the Dollmaker, ERRRR Dr. Dulmacher
    The last two episodes really turnaround my thoughts about the character.

I also thought is was an interesting twist that
    the Board of Directors of Wayne Enterprises were that fearful of young Bruce[/SPOILERS].

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I remember the Two Face and Robin origin arcs as the best of the series.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I'm sure running a business is harder than Penguin realized. He has no business sense at the moment. Maybe he'll learn from Butch.