main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the tonal mashup has been both odd and compelling at different times... but almost always entertaining.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like they're embracing the prequel element with a season subtitle/catchphrase: "Rise of the Villains".

3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I am so looking forward to this season.
    • Edward Nygma's development was quite satisfying to me. He's getting crazier by the day.
    • I was looking forward to more Fish Moony, too. Oh, well. If she's gone, I'll be OK with it. I was happy with her comeback, though.
    • I also do not understand what's going on with Barbara. So confused. Wasn't she supposed to become Barbara Gordon? Or is that a different Barbara? Does anyone know what Barbara Gordon's maiden name was in universe?
    • The reveal of that secret passage... super cool! What was dear old dad's secret identity??
    Love it all!

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Michael Chiklis becoming a series regular should really liven things up.

5. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Chiklis is a really good actor. Agreed. It's really too bad that he's not doing The Thing any more. He was so right for that part.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The character is named after Barbara Eileen Keane, who is Jim Gordon's first wife in Post Crisis continuity and Post "Flashpoint" continuity. What they're doing here is different, so they're opening up and going into different directions. As to what's going on, well, apparently the show had hinted that she was messed up in a lot of ways and the Ogre finally tapped into it. As to the Batcave, obviously some of the computer equipment is already down there, along with all of Thomas's files on everything.

This season, they'd better start beefing up Bruce's training. He doesn't have to be out there fighting crime just yet, but he should be much further along than that.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Fish will be much better as a recurring antagonist instead of a regular. She shows up, acts like Fish Moony and things go crazy and get to be a mess, then she up and bails leaving Penguin's burgeoning criminal empire in tatters. Repeat about twice a season as needed.

As for Barbra, is the actress still a regular this season? I always vote for more Morena Baccarin (who is the regular and I thought had way better chemistry with Ben McKenze anyway)

EDIT: Drat, she is. Or maybe not drat. I did kind of like the wastrel / crazy person she was in the back half of S1 as opposed to the nagging girlfriend she was at the start. She's at least pretty to watch.

8. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I thought Fish was dead as the proverbial doornail. Although, saying that, so many villains and other characters have come back from the dead on other series.

darth-sinister, Barbara's smile when she walked into the Ogre's special room was so creepy/interesting. Sort of like watching a crash in slow motion and you can't look away.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much. As to Fish, Jada Pinkett-Smith did indicate that she could come back down the line. So if Fish were to return, it'd probably be later on in season two or season three, if the show lasts that long.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I enjoyed season one of Gotham, but I wasn't a fan of Fish at the beginning because of Jada's performance choices, seemed to be an impression of Eartha Kitt's Catwoman from the Batman TV show. However, when Fish ripped her eye ball out of her socket and then stepped on it, that turned me around the character. That was a crazy boss move as things just got really interesting.

Anyway, I really felt that Gotham is Penguin's origin story and a really poor man's Game of Throne as the underworld is battling for the throne of city.

The kid that plays young Bruce Wayne is doing a wonderful job.

I'm looking forward to season two.

11. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I wonder if we'll see more of that hospital of horrors where Fish ripped out her eye. The doc was pretty well killed off, but he had a way of converting others over to his own brand of crazy.

12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I look forward to this show returning. Pretty much everything to me was good.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Aside comment by Felicia Day that sums up pretty much my feelings on why I dig Gotham:
    And “Gotham” is just crazy. That finale last year was like, “Is everyone on crack?” I love how crazy-balls it is, but so serious. It makes me so happy. This dark and gritty stuff is very common. That’s not stuff I necessarily respond to. The dark grittiness with the sense of ridiculousness of “Gotham” is really what attracts me to it. You never know what anyone is going to do and that’s exciting.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Saw the season premiere and I'm kind of speechless. So much just felt so wrong.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On the plus side, Gordon got one more hero moment in before the cloudier happiness vs truth stuff begins. Also liked Bruce and Alfred's few scenes as well.

18. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Arkham was certainly more friendly than I'd expect. Felt like everyone was just in the High School lunch room.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah, that was a little messed up. A crazy who kills 20 people usually doesn't get to hang out with other people.
    Should have shown more bizarre stuff going on.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    This was... a lot at once.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not a fan of that episode. It was like they decided that instead of trying to have good writing and a coherent plot, they'd go for more gore and language.

I mean, I'm going to keep watching, but it was disappointing.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i had to remind myself who was bad. Barbara or Leslie. the kid who plays Bruce aged a bit and changed his hair. i wasn't sure if it was the same kid.
    just seems...i don't know. they are introducing all these villains and Bruce is still...or should be , about 15 years from being Batman.

it's kind of funny i had to choose between this and Big Bang Theory.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    BBT makes Gotham look like a high quality non fluff show.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I picked Gotham over The Big Bang Theory.

I don't look at Gotham as a true prequel to the Batman mythos but rather an else world tale. So I really don't have a problem with the direction of the show or the choices made by the characters. That being said, this episode demonstrated that any preconceived ideas about most of the characters can be thrown out the window as many of them crossed lines you wouldn't think they would.

Arkham being like a high school lunch cafeteria is a little over-the-top, but I'll go with it.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Love how subtle they were about Gordon's dark side reflected in a black suit and lack of tie. So evil!

If Harvey is smart, he'll keep tending bar. Sadly, we know that won't happen. Yay for Comissioner Essen. At least some good came out of Gordon's dark deed.

Also, has anyone put out an APB on Allen and Montoya?