main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gotham - the TV series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Feb 25, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I am! Batman Year One or GTHOTB!

Ender Sai and Darth_Invidious like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Fox is trying for a gritty and new take on Gordon by emitting those two iconic things, they're ****ing smoking drugs.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You know, perhaps some of us are making too big of a deal out of Gordon's appearance. This series can be deemed as Elseworlds/Infinities/AU, whatever. It's not gonna re-write canon, and it may ultimately suck. So if we're getting a blonde, non-spectacled, clean shaven Gordon that happens to be Katie Holmes' uncle (there Wocky, happy?), will it ultimately matter if the series ends up being a fantastic hit or a forgettable misfire?

I'm crossing my fingers Batman himself will eventually get name-dropped or - even better - actually makes an appearance in Arrow. If that were to happen, I'd be quite happy TBH. Enough so that I can ignore what this series might do to the Batlore.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

In "Lois & Clark", Lex had hair in the show for seasons one and three. Not to mention it wasn't red. In "Superboy"/"The Adventures Of Superman", Lex also had hair in the second through third seasons, thought you could see it receding. It was sandy brown color. Jim Gordon never wore glasses in the Burton/Schumacher films. Jimmy Olsen was never a red head in live action until "Smallville". Kilmer and Bale have brown hair instead of black, whereas it's always been black for Batman. I can go on.

It is not a deal breaker.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    We comic book geeks are spoiled, entitled brats, Sinister, dontchaknow? :p

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sinister, I was being serious in this instance.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's hard to tell with you.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have to say, amidst all this Gordon arguing, that I think that other guy looks great as the Penguin. (Yes, I know he's Oswald Cobblepot, not really the Penguin but shut up okay)

Penguinator likes this.
  9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Hey kids, it's TV's Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock!

Gordon not having a 'stache or glasses isn't a dealbreaker for me. I can only assume they'll get there eventually, kind of like how Ollie has a scruffy beard that isn't quite the iconic goatee and how Flashback Island Slade still has two eyes. As to Gordon's hair colour, he's been brunet, blond, and red, and they can always have McKenzie dye his hair.

To be honest, the costumes and set dressing that we've seen so far look pretty solid. Gotham City looks pretty good - crowded, cold, and miserable. But again, only basing this on the like three set images we've seen.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jesus people; saying that the dude does not look like Jim Gordon isn't saying the show will suck or I won't watch it. It's just saying that Gordon has a look and that people with no single frame of ****ing reference for the iconography like Juliet and Wocky shouldn't be commentating with the confident authority they are, as there is precisely no basis for it.

Likewise, Donal Logue isn't a fat Harvey Bullock or that Essen isn't blonde. That's fine and all, it's not a deal breaker, but that's not how those characters look. Jesus.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Watching the progress of this thread has been like a parallel to developments in the Catholic church. Both inspire a lot of passion and have a long, long history. Some people, when they hear of new things like Katie Holmes or the new Pope, are excited at the opportunity to simultaneously modernize and refocus on important things. Others mutter about how much they used to like the guy who looked like Emperor Palpatine and spent an inordinate amount of time discouraging American politicians from trying to give healthcare to poor people.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky. Katie Holmes character is not part of the Batman mythos. It may be the only part you know, but it's not part.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    She's a part now, OZK. Or is Vatican II illegitimate?

EDIT: Also, here is a fact for you. The single worst Batman film of the last 10 years was the only one that didn't include Katie Holmes's character. Hmmm.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I just vastly preferred Maggie Gyllenhall in the role. I've got no beef against the character of Rachel Dawes; she's from the movies, and hasn't made the leap to comics yet. I suspect that when she does make the leap, though, it'll only be a matter of time before she gets tragically killed off.

15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Wocky! [face_laugh] I don't know if you're sincere or trolling, but I love you.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    He's trolling. Or as I posited, deeply infatuated with the former Mrs. Cruz.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That would be Cruise.

What, pictures and comments by other characters don't count?

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Man, don't be such a killjoy.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What is it you liked about her? As I recall, she didn't do much except stand around and die. She only had a handful of lines, and her role was much more marginal than what we saw in the first film. Among those, nothing about Gyllenhall's performance really stood out to me.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I just liked her a lot more. She felt less wooden.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Rachel Dawes. Rachel Dud. Give me Miss Kitty as potential love-hate leading lady for the Bat anytime.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I *think* he means TDKR and not TDK, while simultaneously morphing Maggie -> Katie, Michael Jackson's Black or White? style...

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but why Vatican 2?

He's barking mad, but clearly also his programming is faulty today. Someone needs a patch!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The last film was the only one that did not include the character of Rachel Dawes. As we all know, the whole conception of that character and her most iconic portrayal was done by Katie Holmes. They subsequently had to get another actress to fill-in, and the imitation was pretty inferior, but she was still playing Katie Holmes's character. The film with Bane is the only one that excluded the character entirely.

Vatican II is because you, like that guy Rogue Number Ten was watching a documentary about, apparently can't accept change, even when it's good.