main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Government or Religious Influence on ST storyline?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bullhead CIty, Jan 3, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    When I think of spirituality in Star Wars, I think of the Force, how it surrounds us and binds us, bringing us together. Life creates it, makes it grow, luminous beings are we.

It's nice sentiment, even though I don't agree with it.

It's not mentioned in the movie. No one outside of hardcore Star Wars fans has even heard of the Whills.

Why, does it bother you?

I'd be good with something very similar to the OT, with a new spin. I loved it the first time around.

No politics, no Whills......that leaves ILM, Skywalker Sound, Jedi, blasters, lightsabers, space ships, aliens.....you know, Star Wars.

The Sith....I can buy or leave. I don't really care that they were destroyed, but at the same time the Sith are kinda wearing thin on me. It may be better without the Sith.

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't agree with the concept of the Force either, but...yeah. I could accept that the Jedi believed in it, and it was certainly easier to stomach before the "prophecy" crap entered in.

3. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    It should be about the Protestant Reformation in Western Europe.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And where exactly are we going to hold the public stake burnings?

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  5. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    At the edge of a cliff, like we always do.;)

6. Halos94

Halos94 Jedi Padawan

Sep 19, 2012
    I think he means a schism among the Jedi.

7. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Well, honestly, I was just being facetious. But, what the heck, it could work!

8. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    The concept of the force is ok with me, but the whole "Chosen One" prophecy is indeed crap.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I can agree with the make it the OT with a new generation. I would like a little peppering of politics but not to the extent of the PT. More of a statement of this is the current government within the Galaxy. No need to go into Senate this, Moff Council That. Emperor or Supreme Chancellor... But suffice it to say Alliance in charge or no. That doesn't mean we won't see the military in a covert Op that the Jedi won't participate in.

As for the Whills it was indirectly mentioned as to the reason Qui Gon could commune after death. I don't recall if it was directly about the Whills but it was still a definite, oh Yeah this happened but we aren't going to follow up on that. I honestly don't want the Whills to be in to much depth. That being said, Luke knowing how to force ghost would be a good thing before he dies

10. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    I see parallels with French history. Napoleon seized power in a similar way to Palpatine killing the jedi:
    "On 9 November—18 Brumaire by the French Republican Calendar—Bonaparte was charged with the safety of the legislative councils, who were persuaded to remove to the Château de Saint-Cloud, to the west of Paris, after a rumour of a Jacobin rebellion was spread by the plotters. By the following day, the deputies had realised they faced an attempted coup. Faced with their remonstrations, Bonaparte led troops to seize control and disperse them."

He tricked them and then used the army against them. He also declared himself emperor after an assassination attempt. After the former Religious government, the new Government became secular and anti-religion.
    That's the way I see the current state of the galaxy, opposing any Jedi involvement in the government, and Luke in hiding. I like the idea of Luke pretending to have died in battle, then going off into the wilderness for 30 years. Eventually Leia wants her daughter trained as a Jedi, and sends her to Luke.

Episode Swag likes this.
  11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    If we want to discuss Star Wars and history, there is a wonderful book entitled Star Wars and History... Check it out

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Author?

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    This. Anyone who thinks that Sidious and Vader are supposed to be Catholics knows absolutely NOTHING about Catholicism.

El_Machete12 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Nancy Reagin, not Nancy Reagan but Reagin...

Here is the Amazon Link
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-His...7434680&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+and+history

Poli-Sci Jedi and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Awesome--thanks!

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    No problem... I haven't bought it yet. But it seems like Junior High to early high school level. That being said, my one professor from college taught a class called History and Film, focusing on films depicting Rome. There are allusions in the book from Palpatine to Julius and Augustus Caesar... So this year he is showing Episode 3 as one of the films in class... :D

17. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    Please put Christianity in it!

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    OP trolling? His opening sentence is a flame and he hasn't visited the thread he started since then.

19. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    For those of the Catholic faith, I didn't intend to offend or generalize your faith at all. Though I lack any direct Lucas quotes, the subject of the Emperor being modeled (perhaps in fashion only) to the Pope has been an open discussion since the late 1980's. I think the assumption sprang from how much George mined WWII for material. George's faith is heavily influenced by Eastern teachings. In a Time magazine article around the release of AOTC, George clearly stated he did not believe in a Judeo - Christian God. I remember, at the time, that article gave even more credence to the earlier assumption about who the Sith of the OT were supposed to mirror, albeit darkly.

Of course, "the bomb" = The Death Star, the Empire = America / England, Jedi = (Japanese) Samurai / Celts, etc. The Emperor's fashion sense, the way he is ministered to, etc. Though I don't believe, if the old theory is correct, that George intended a direct correlation between The Emperor and the Pope. Again, he was mining the WWII timeperiod, with an alternative outcome for the great war. With Christianity being the dominant belief / faith system of Western society during that period.

I've enjoyed everyone's comments. What got me started thinking about this subject is the fact that we've seen a steady rise in religious fanaticism the last 15 years or so on a world wide scale. And with the PT's subcommentary about W's America, I had wondered if anything recent might creep in. Such as a galactic religious movement or ideology that might spring up in the aftermath of the Empire. Perhaps something fundementally at odds with adherents to the Force, or seasoned Rebel / Republic forces that are seeing the *freedom* they won from Palpatine seceded to not necessarily a new government, but a movement. It's probably too dark for Disney, but an enemy that blindly follows a leader to death, like a Kamikaze or a modern suicide bomber, would pose an much greater threat to the new heroes than white suit stormtroopers.

Another thing I wondered is belief in God is only mentioned once in SW thus far by Jar Jar, of all people, when he discusses his life debt to Qui Gon. Of course, Jar Jar says, "gods" in plural form. Qui Gon brings it up to Boss Nass later when freeing him. Not counting the TCW, we have yet to see a civilization that is monotheistic, or even actively polytheistic.

That's just one idea I had. Once again, sorry for offense about the Sith and Catholicism.

battlefrontboy likes this.
  20. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Ah, there you are. Glad you came back to confirm that Lucas had no connection drawn between the Papacy and the Sith. I knew it was baseless, but since you started this I wanted to see your acknowledgment of the fact.

21. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I wouldn't say it's a completely baseless discussion point. Proof of that is your continued interest. Artists rarely go on record dissecting their own work and influences, yet fans and the general public can draw conclussions based on the artist themselves and the metaphors they represent. I wasn't aware this was a debate site. I thought it was a discussion outlet.

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I would love to see the Prophets of the Dark Side.

The Verbal Machinegun likes this.
  23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Palpatine was Richard Nixon long before he got the ability to shoot lightning from his fingers.

Poli-Sci Jedi likes this.
  24. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Artists frequently and freely go on record dissecting their influences and work. Indeed it might be wished that some artists would shut the hell up already and let their work speak for itself.

Lucas has been on the record about his artistic intentions from the first drafts up to the sale of Lucasfilm.

25. The Verbal Machinegun

The Verbal Machinegun Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2013
    That would actually explore some interesting ideas.

General Immodet likes this.