main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade Episode 6.05: An Old Friend

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Grade 6.05: An Old Friend

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

10.0%
  7. 7

15.0%
  8. 8

45.0%
  9. 9

15.0%
  10. 10

15.0%
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

Grade the fifth episode of Season Six: An Old Friend. Have fun!​

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    No love for this thread? This is the first response in just under a week's time.

I thought that An Old Friend had a fairly interesting premise for a political episode with Padmé front-and-center. Her mission to give wartime aid was definitely a noble one, and expanded on a different side of the war and how it's affecting the non-warring factions. Padmé's mission is still instrumental for the Republic war effort due to the fact that securing aid for others only serves to help the Republic's image in the eyes of the neutral factions, as well as bring further hope and resolve to its citizens. Unfortunately, there were times when this episode tended to drag, and the plot itself was hardly outstanding. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the portrayal of the Banking Clan as a neutral faction on the planet of Scipio, a thinly-veiled reference to Switzerland with its snow-capped mountains and its role as an economic powerhouse that contributed to both sides of the greater Clone Wars conflict. Yeah, it was a little disappointing that there was no acknowledgment of San Hill's role as Separatist Councilor and leader for the IGBC, but considering how Season 3's political episodes already established their neutrality in the war (even in lieu of Nix Card's corruption; incidentally he appears in this episode, though has no real role of consequence). Rush Clovis got an updated model for his first appearance since Season 2. It was good of Padmé not to trust the former Separatist sympathizer. However, after Clovis, like a stalker, sneaks into her apartment, she actually warms to his words despite her initial suspicions, and agrees to convene with him in private at his residence to discuss the corruption in the Banking Clan. I found that rather disappointing. How can see readily accept that Clovis was a changed man after that incident in Senate Spy?

I liked the clockwork design of the IGBC's massive vault. Clovis' plan to disable the vault's generator so that Padmé could sneak in and steal the information regarding the Core Five's embezzlement and corruption was actually rather inspired on his part. Unfortunately, this resulted in Teckla Minnau's death from an Embo sniper shot, which of course contradicts an old database entry regarding her actual fate; although in truth, I wasn't bothered by this. It's such an obscure bit of trivia from a page that no longer exists online, that I'm not surprised they chose to disregard it. Far less problematic to continuity than the premature deaths of Even Piell and Adi Gallia, IMO. Speaking of Embo, he was one of the better parts of this otherwise average episode. I loved his snowboarding on his hat whilst pursuing Clovis, Padmé, and Anakin. Regarding Anakin's role: I definitely felt this was one of the episode's, and this arc's, major highlights, in that it showed a side of Anakin that's far more akin to his depiction in the films, as opposed to his overwhelmingly heroic nature throughout the course of the series. Anakin's jealousy and extreme attachment issues were on display here with his jealousy over Padmé spending time with Clovis, even though he uses the (definitely valid) excuse that Clovis, being a former Separatist sympathizer, couldn't be trusted. While Anakin's behavior is certainly understandable in context, I find it interesting that the episode's fortune cookie applied to him―even though Padmé gets the most screentime in this arc, it's ultimately about his issues―"To love is to trust. To trust is to believe." Anakin loves Padmé, but he doesn't trust that she would remain entirely faithful to him. I am reminded of a subplot in the RotS novel where, after seeing her for the first time in months, Anakin fears that Padmé was seeing someone else during his long absence as a result of the Outer Rim Sieges, and this jealous Anakin brings this narrative to the forefront. Also, it was nice to see Darth Sidious playing a more personal role in the proceedings, as this arc ultimately highlighted one of his grand schemes to further empower the Office of the Chancellor, even as Padmé and other more idealistic Senators believe they are doing the right thing, for the good of the Republic.

I appreciated this episode's attempt at trying to weave a complex narrative on the economics of a galaxy at war, but it was far from the most exciting of stories, and the Anakin-Clovis-Padmé sublplot was probably the most interesting thing about this episode, though it was fairly brief. And Embo, of course. Overall, I gave this episode a 7/10.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The first half of this episode is a test for my attention span to be honest. Its a bunch of awkward bickering between Padme and Clovis without any attempt to explain the elephant in the room on why Clovis is even still alive IU. OOC is because an ex lover character had already been created for Padme, its even dumber to do it again. The hologram planning board or whatever it was had really clunky animation for TCW. I feel sorry for Padme's assistants who always seem to die. Things pick up a bit soon as we see that neat shot of just Anakin's legs as he's walking off his ship. We got Anakin slamming Clovis who needs to work on his comebacks, a scuffle in the apartment, and Embo sledding. 6/10 from me.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought the sledding chase was really cool. Nice to see Anakin’s dark side crop up with his jealousy. Scipio looks really beautifully designed. It’s also kinda funny how nasal all the Muun’s voices are. :p I think it’s good that Padmé got so much focus in a good episode, since her political episodes in S3 were atrocious, so this made up for those.

7/10