main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode 1.04: "Fighter Flight" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Oct 20, 2014.

?

Grade the Episode 1.04: "Fighter Flight" (Spoilers)

Poll closed Oct 27, 2014.
  1. 10

5.1%
  2. 9

16.9%
  3. 8

15.3%
  4. 7

22.0%
  5. 6

13.6%
  6. 5

10.2%
  7. 4

8.5%
  8. 3

3.4%
  9. 2

1.7%
  10. 1

3.4%
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    3/10

20 minutes of pointless slapstick & hijinks. This was truly woeful. Have liked the show apart from this episode though & still expect it to become great.

2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014

It was a bonding episode for Ezra and Zeb. *shugs* And it was supposed to be a filler. At least it isn't as bad as the Jar Jar episodes from the Clone Wars.

And if you had the opportunity to steal a TIE fighter, wouldn't you? It would be fun.

TX-20 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    There should be no filler with any show. Ever.

Especially when episodes are only 20 minutes long. You can have a lighthearted episode with character bonding & still have important moments within it. It's overdoing the goofy slapstick that I hope they don't repeat. This period is supposed to be the Dark Times that we've always been told about. So far it looks like the most fun lighthearted period of the Saga! Looks like a blast to run around like Ezra, taking out moronic stormtroopers with a slingshot or a piece of fruit.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of us like slapstick.

The OT was in a pretty damn dark time but the characters managed to have fun.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Fun is different to slapstick. Very little slapstick in ANH & ESB. That didn't start to infiltrate the Saga until RotJ. If Rebels wants to capture the vibe of ANH they should dial down this nonsense. Humor & fun interaction between characters is a different matter.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  6. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    He can't take out people with the slingshot though. It just bounces right off their armor. And it's a cartoon. There going to have fillers. This isn't a live action show like Game Of Thrones. I'm not sure it should even be dark to an extreme. Yes, it is the dark times. And so far we have had subtle mentions of said darkness.

For example...

The fruit vendor in the Spark of Rebellion spoke out against the Empire. So they arrested him for treason. In a facist style government like the Empire, this would ultimately mean you're imprisonment and death. We also have Kallus gloating over how he killed the people of Zeb's planet, making light of Genocide while he very nearly kills Zeb himself. I don't think Genocide is meant to be light-hearted. It's sick. We also have those starving farmers who have to be brought what little food the Ghost Crew can get them, because the Empire took their land by force and is not helping them. And more recently we had those farmers who knew Ezra's parents get kicked out of their home, put into a prison transport to be taken to their death, it's implied or prison because they refused to help the Empire and sell their farm land. Not to mention the countless deaths of the storm troopers.

In the ROTOM episode...

We have a decomposing Luminara and some creepy Sith Alchemy going on. That's not really for children.

We can't have action or major battles every episode like the Clone Wars. This is a different type of war and we need these filler episodes to take us away and humor us.

jcgoble3 and ifleninwasawizard like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Like I said, my complaints are about this episode, not Spark oR or any others. This was mindless filler IMO. There's no excuse for filler, especially when it's just your 3rd episode & they're only 20 mins long.

8. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Right. Well, I wasn't trying to start an argument with you or anything.

I think you'll like the next episode though. It's really good. And has the right amount of darkness.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars movie. I have no problem whatsoever with Rebels emulating ROTJ, in fact, I encourage it. I thought a "legion of [the Emperor's] best men" getting defeated by a bunch of 3PO-worshipping bears, was funny as hell.

That said, I don't view ROTJ as monumentally different from the other two OT movies, and if I want srs bsns, I'll read/watch something other than Star Wars. The PT is a prime example of trying too hard.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That's a pity bcs Lucas wasn't trying to make the Stormtroopers' defeat in RotJ funny. It was supposed to be a Vietnam style war analogy where indigenous low tech folk beat heavily armed troops using unconventional war tactics. What RotJ did start to introduce were things like burping frogs, Boba Fett's slapstick death due to Han accidentally knocking his jet pack, burping sarlacc, overdoing Han's smirking wisecracking, too many slapstick stormtrooper deaths etc etc. He ramped this up even further in TPM. There's far less of that sort of thing in ANH & ESB. There's plenty of great humor but hardly any slapstick. You might prefer the zany hijinks but the Rebels creators have continually said that ANH is their template.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Lucas wasn't trying..."

I stopped there.

I don't care what Lucas was or was not "trying" to do, and I'll be damned if I let Lucas' intent stop me from enjoying what I enjoy.

The almost-constant 'you saw what you saw but that wasn't Lucas' intent' commentary on this site is amusing though. And it's sadly ironic that if I cared what Lucas thought of Star Wars, I would probably hate Star Wars.

You didn't enjoy the episode, that's your prerogative, it wasn't my favorite among Rebels episodes either, but do we really have to make this srs bsns?

12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    My point is that TPM style slapstick hijinks should be most out of place in this Dark Times period. Maybe that's part of the problem with choosing this setting for a kids cartoon at all.
    Anyway it's only one episode. Hopefully the showrunners look back now & agree that this sucked & they won't wheel out this type of thing again.

13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Funny as hell episode. Rocko's Modern Life meets SW. Zeb and Ezra make a great duo. Episode suffers from same flaws are previous episodes by making things to easy and making the empire feel just to incompetent. I liked that it touched on Ezra's past by bringing in character he once knew. 8 from me.

14. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    An episode dedicated to character development is not filler. I expect certain elements of this episode will have ripples that affect the later plot, too.

TX-20, ifleninwasawizard and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    This is pretty much what I thought. Much preferred Spark of Rebellion and Droids in Distress, I could see this was more of a fun approach that didn't really advance any story arc (apart from increased Force awareness from Ezra). Looking forward to the Old Masters episode on Thursday (UK).

16. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    why again were the imperials taking fruit to evict and arrest farmers and blow up the farm

17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    There not. They evicted Ezra's friend because he refused to give up his land so the Empire could start building there. It had nothing to do with fruit.

18. KINGKONG83

Nov 22, 2004
    I mean,why did they take a crate of fruit with them.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because Hera told them to get the fruit.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  20. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    The Imperials bought some fruit while they were in the town, presumably because they like fruit.

It doesn't have to be part of a grand plan or anything. Stormtroopers have to eat too, you know. :p

21. KINGKONG83

Nov 22, 2004
    Seems like lazy writing to me
    Don't they have imperial MRE's or something:p

22. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    If you had to eat MRE's all the time, you would get some fruit at any chance.

23. KINGKONG83

Nov 22, 2004
    Oh ive been there,almost 5 years with periods of only eating them:p (fresh)fruit was most welcome a treat back then..we still didn't bring crates of them outside the wire.

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Picking up the groceries was part of that troupes orders for that day. Procurement of supplies in the morning, forcing farmers off their land in the afternoon. It doesn't seem to be an outlandish plot point to me...

In fact a lot of the fruit-based complaints seem oblivious to the fact that the series is set on an agricultural planet. Ezra lives on a farm, his parents were farmers, everyone he knows seems to be involved in agriculture or groceries. It's not unlike Luke's circumstances.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    My little brother or the Inquisitor? :p