main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode 1.10: "Path of the Jedi" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 5, 2015.

?

Grade the Episode 1.10: "Path of the Jedi"

Poll closed Jan 12, 2015.
  1. 10

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. 9

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. 8

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. 6

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Have you watched "Path of the Jedi" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know! Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!​
    Note: This poll will close next week. :)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    10/10. I really enjoyed this episode and it was nice to hear Yoda again.

3. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    10/10, Great episode.

+Yoda was awesome.
    + Kanan speaking with Yoda
    +Cave visions
    *Those Qui-Gon fireflies

Although, Ezra has a weird way of building lightsabers.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A solid 8/10. Really good character development, especially for Ezra. And yay, Frank Oz! No offense to Tom Kane, but it's always good to have the genuine article.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    9/10 for me. I liked Frank Oz coming back as Yoda, gave me chills. During the illusion bit, Ezra showed some genuine fear and desperation which IMO has been the best conveyed emotion of the series. I also like how different Ezra's lightsaber is in how it sounds. It sounds completely different from what we have had in the past.

6. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    9/10 for me. Best episode yet. I appreciated the darker tone of the episode.

cubman987 likes this.
  7. al patrickson

al patrickson Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2013
    10/10. Shows Rebels continues to grow in storytelling and character development. Plus we got Frank Oz back as Yoda and most importantly... EZRA'S BLASTER-LIGHTSABER!!!! Next up on Rebels: the return of BILLY DEE as Lando Caleissian.

cubman987 likes this.
  8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    9/10, brilliant episode. Loved hearing Frank Oz again as Yoda :)

cubman987 likes this.
  9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Gave it a 10/10; my favorite episode so far. Loved Frank Oz voicing Yoda and the dark stuff with Ezra's Inquisitor visions.

10. PastelBat

PastelBat Jedi Padawan

Dec 27, 2014
    9/10 I really loved the scene of Ezra in the star field talking with yoda.I think it's one of he prettiest things from Star Wars I've seen, just absolutely beautiful.

11. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    8/10.

I loved the visuals, and the score was incredibly well done, but I have a few hangups about the plot. Now that Yoda is confirmed to have known about a new padawan being taught I feel like it's almost required for Ezra to die/ fail as a Jedi in order for Luke to really be the last of the Jedi in Yoda's eyes. So really it's not a gripe with this episode in particular, but with the possible problems it creates down the road if the writer's can't figure away out of this corner they've written themselves into.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Best episode yet. The pacing was great, the character development was solid and he whole Force journey plot for Ezra inside the temple was pulled off very nicely (it was great to have Yoda's voice (loved that they got Frank Oz back to do the voice) as his spirit guide who also had a little chat with Kanan). I was surprised over the dark tone the episode had and the Force illusions Ezra had of the Inquisitor brutally killing his friends was quite sinister (and even though the killings during the Ghost scenario happened off-screen, the sounds were effective enough without getting too graphic) but all of that was great and really added to the creepy atmosphere. Also, it was a powerful moment when Ezra confronted the Inquisitor illusion without fear and succeeded.

The ending with Ezra, kaiburr crystal in hand, building his lightsaber was good (even thought it would have been nice to see him during the actual progress of putting it together) and the end result had a pretty unique and interesting design (again, it looks like a stapler) and that ended the episode on a good note. With the previous two episodes in mind and now this one, I'm very sure the show can only get better.

9.5/10 rounded up to 10/10

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This was a great episode another 10.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Have to go with 10/10 for this. An excellent episode with an excellent story with lots of excellent ties to previous episodes and concepts.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I loved this episode for sure! The one scene where Ezra was in the center of the circle and reaching up to grab the light reminded me of the scene from Tron. I wonder if that was a homage to that? But still excellent episode. I am still curious to see what happened to Ezra's parents still.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    9/10.

A journey of exploration (and ultimately, realization) for both Master and Padawan, with much for me to enjoy.

In my mind, the only thing keeping it from a '10' was the decision to set the satellite temple on Lothal. It felt terrifically uninspired (I think I let out an audible "Aw, man" when I saw where it actually wound up). Honestly, it struck me as likely a way of doing things 'on-the-cheap.' I did see that Dave and Co. admitted to kicking the idea around for awhile, and that's interesting.

That said, the good news is that we have been promised that the decision to keep it local will pay-off further on down the road. So kudos for keeping their eyes on the prize and playing the long game with the narrative.

Anyway, a few more quick thoughts:

- Over the last few episodes, I've grown to really embrace Ezra. From someone who started off way down there on my list of new Rebels characters to be interested in, Bridger has now become the character in whose story I am now probably the most intrigued by. Major props to the whole team for pulling that one off. :p I cannot wait to see what they'll do with him next.

- Anyone who didn't feel chills running along their spine, married to an exultant rush of joy in their heart, at hearing Frank Oz as Yoda once again is -- when it comes right down to it -- a very different kind of fan than I. Someone who is looking for (and taking from) very different things from Star Wars.

- Incidentally, Yoda is now incontrovertibly aware of both Kanan and Ezra, and their roles as Master and Padawan. It's been firmly established. No room left for debate.

I know some who shrugged aside any potential conflict surrounding Master Yoda's words to Luke in ROTJ. I think this may shed some new light on that particular topic.

And hopefully it will be a more... civilized discussion this time.

I recall one user (with a long history of decrying fellow members and their opinions) who insisted on mocking people for supposedly not understanding the idea that:​

"Yoda's what's known as an 'unreliable narrator' in that scene, you just don't get it."

Thank you, but "no." We get the concept. We always did. In that fireside scene, we simply chose to read that Yoda really did know more than you cared to give him credit for. That's all. [face_dunno]

In the end, I suppose the question -- now, more than ever -- really becomes: Now that we know Yoda is aware of Kanan and Ezra (and as Dave Filoni has gone on-record stating that the Rebels team are very conscious of Luke's uniqueness and place in the Saga), how will all of this be reconciled with Yoda's final edict to Luke, moving forward?

So, anyway, another top-notch episode of Rebels. Quite a number of those, lately.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What the hell did I watch?

4/10

It got four points because of Frank Oz, creepy as hell zombies, Hera, and the blaster-saber, which I thought was cool.

Robimus likes this.
  18. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    I gave it a 6, which I instantly regretted. It was an average episode.

I'm not sold on the idea of a Jedi temple that traps Masters with lousy apprentices. Just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the Jedi bought a Sith Temple at auction and have only partially renovated it? Order 66 probably cut off the Jedi's line of credit, along with some limbs.

I give it points for the Inquisitor acting like a jerk and taunting the sissy Jedi. Negative points for the fact that it's not actually the Inquisitor. At least they're not afraid to show someone getting skewered by a lightsaber on this show, even if it is just a hallucination. They may work up to one of the main characters actually scraping their knee in future episodes.

Cool to hear the original Yoda again. I know that there is a lot of concern regarding Yoda's knowledge of Kanan and Ezra's existence and his message to Luke that he's the "last of the Jedi". I'm not terribly concerned about it at this point. I'm giving the writers the benefit of the doubt that they're going to wrap it up semi-logically. I don't see the sense in getting all worked up about it for the next couple of years. If at the end of the series, they don't sort it all out, then maybe I'll add my pitchfork and torch to the crowd.

Hopefully now that they've gotten some character development for the Kanan and Ezra out of the way, they can focus more on Hera and Sabine again.

Darth Zannah and JackG like this.
  19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    4/10

Frank Oz as Yoda was the highlight, but the rest is a cross between the cave scene in ESB & Mortis and that has all been done so much better before(for better or worse as I'm not really into any of the dream sequences). I hated the idea of Jedi Masters dying via meditation when their Padawans failed, the temple being on Lothal & Erby getting his lightsaber built after just a few months on training.

I do hope the Inquisitor eventually gets to kill someone for real.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Robimus

I have a feeling that the Inquisitor killing Kanan in the Lothal temple hallucination was supposed to be foreshadowing.

Darth Zannah likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I thought you would not like it.

22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    10/10

Loved it. Great expansion of the old Jedi Order and other outposts across the galaxy.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Hey it's my first time posting in about a month or so (since the previous episode before the hiatus aired). I gave the latest episode a 7. Wasn't blown away by it, but the addition of Yoda's influence did help with the deeper theme to the franchise; which is what I've been waiting for all along.

24. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Regarding the crystal dropping into his hand and it confusing people, from what I gather the trials padawan go through to obtain their first crystal differs from padawan to padawan. In the TCW episode we saw the same sort of trapped in a cave situation, but each youngling had to overcome a different task. In Ezra's case, I think the Lothal temple was built for Jedi and padawan who have trouble relying on each other, and that temple happened to suit Kanan and Ezra whereas a team like Plo and Ahsoka wouldn't use this sort of temple. The room Ezra enters is sort of the "award room" in that those who are successful are granted a crystal from the star map on the room's ceiling.

25. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Darth_Harmon

Finished reading your post and immediately thought of this:

V-2 and Darth_Harmon like this.