main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 101 "Ambush"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Apr 14, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 101 "Ambush"

Poll closed Apr 14, 2011.
  1. 10

11.4%
  2. 9

29.5%
  3. 8

25.0%
  4. 7

25.0%
  5. 6

2.3%
  6. 5

4.5%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Watching Episode 101: Ambush again, how would you rate it?

Remember, unlike our Season 3 polls, please feel free to discuss the episode as much as you'd like in this thread. Did the episode seem any different than the first time you saw it?

Grade average (46 votes): 7.95

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I gave it a 9/10.

This episodes premiered yesterday on ABC3 here in Australia so I got a chance to watch it on television (they are premiering one episode each weekday until the premier of Season 4).

I simply enjoy the basic premise of this episode. It is simplistic yet classic Star Wars. I enjoyed the use of the terms ?Royal Delegation? and ?Republic Delegation?, giving the episode an ?official? vibe which felt to move beyond what you expect from ?kids shows? and moved it into the quality you expect from Star Wars. The droid humour, although poor at times, generally didn?t feel forced or overzealous. The battle sequences were also well done and the artistry and concept of the coral moon was to be commended. This was all given a legitimacy from Yoda?s true, respectful and accurate portrayal.

However perhaps the most spectacular part of this episode was Yoda?s talk to the Clones in the cave. It felt completely Star Wars and harkened back to The Empire Strikes Back with Yoda?s simple and calming wisdom of situations. The scene also brilliantly sets up the Clones for the series as well as setting this as early in the war with the line, ?Long is the war; only by surviving it will you prevail?. All of this carried a theme with the final battle, which also reminded me of the fact that perhaps the Mace Windu battle in the 2003 series wasn?t so ?out there? as we believe.

Furthermore this was the first episode in the series proper and as such I will always have a type of ?nostalgic? perception of this episode.

Great episode in my opinion of a more innocent and uncontroversial time.

3. jonas_jade

jonas_jade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2005
    Hey, I'm in Australia but missed the showing, was just wondering, is ABC3 showing it in full cinematic widescreen (2.35:1) or just 16:9?

Edit: Just checked iview and they only have it in normal so I suppose that's what was broadcast [face_plain]

Also, I didn't know it was going to be everyday, but if they show them all that will only take them until July. So they won't continue on with Season 4 straight away (assuming a US premiere of September or October. (unless in a twist, we get all of Season 4 months before the rest of the world [face_praying])

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    9. Classic Star Wars. Great locale, awesome action, and a heartfelt core of Yoda with the clones. Sets the tone nicely for what will be the show's greatest strengths. :D

Of course, whether they USE these strengths is another matter entirely, but this proves THEY EXIST, and they can be AWESOME. :p

5. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    9/10

Loved this episode. Classic Star Wars, Badass Yoda, and awesome action! One of my favorites. :)

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This is a very enjoyable episode. The only issue I could possibly raise is that this is not the Yoda I've come to know over the years. This is a kinder, gentler more compassionate little troll than has been presented in most sources, including the films. Somewhere there he misses the mark.

Yoda is fun in this, like he's fun when play acting in ESB - but thats not really him even if I like him better.

8/10

7. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I have to say I was REALLY tempted to give this episode a 10, but I knocked it down basically just for droid humor. I know that's lame, but hey. I gave it a 9. While I really like this episode for numerous reasons, I don't think it's quite as good as the 3 or 4 episodes from this season that I would give a 10.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Pretty much this exactly and what Darth_Philosopher said.=D=

9/10, only dock for too much lame droid humor, although I always laugh at "but I just got promoted!"

The episode seemed like it took a leap in animation and writing quality right away from the theatrical release. Yoda was far closer to the OT version, even though I still they have him do the backwards-speak too often.

"That's a lot of smoke for a surrender" is a classic SW line.

After this episode, Yoda has been wasted I think. Limited to cameos or pointless exposition for the most part, what a shame.

Also never really noticed Yoda's line to Katuunko "we will never fail you, Your Highness" or whatever. Not until Savage, at least.[face_skull]

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Gave it a 6.

Pros: Yoda was very well used, with some good, light-hearted attitude that was sorely missing in the Prequels, nice philosophical moment with the troops and cool action.

Cons: Droid humor killed this for me. This episode is full of droids, and they all feel the need to crack a joke. SO glad the series has moved away from this. Plus the scenery, while very interesting conceptually, is just very sparse and looks like quite cheap 3D. Probably the weakest set in the series.

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    9. Really enjoyable episode from start to finish. Lots of action, but also plenty of really well-done quieter moments. The cave scene is easily one of the best parts of this series.

Dialogue-wise, such a step up from the movie, and as people have said, lots of classic lines. Droid humour is a 'meh' for me, not really bothered either way, some of it was funny though.

I have to agree that the backwards-speak was overdone, compare it to the 6 movies and Yoda has a healthy mix, in this episode every phrase was inverted. But other than that, Yoda was pretty amazing, perfect balance of ultimate power and ultimate wisdom. He's like a little green Jedi fortune cookie. Also enjoyed him humiliating Ventress at the end (lol PWNED:p).

Great music and sound as well.

The clones were really relatable and fun in this episode, and I loved the "The General's cutting'em up! *snigger*"[face_laugh]

Really like King Katuunko as a character as well.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I gave it an 8/10. I enjoyed King Katuunko, and it was nice hearing some John Williams tracks.

I bumped it down from a 9 because of a few things in the animation. The scene with the AATs trying to drive through the scrub looked more like them busting through a cardboard set than an actual plant.

I also really liked how the clones were used in this episode. It was nice to see some clones other than Cody and Rex get some characterization and be main characters, instead of just cannon fodder like we got in the later seasons.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    8/10

Great in everything, except the excessive droid humour.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I actually like the droid jokes in this:p .... i watch it tomorrow and rate it then...

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    10. The droid humor got grating after a while but that was more than made up for by the classic SW feel. Seriously, we need another classic Yoda episode! He is disgustingly underused.

15. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    7/10. I initially gave this one 6/10, but I have to say it's grown on me in the rewatching. I liked the interaction between Yoda and the clones and thought that it was solid, well paced stand alone episode. The battle droid humour was perhaps laid on a bit thick, but it's never been one of those elements that annoys me the way it does some viewers.

16. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    7/10

I will go beyond the obvious problem of the droid humor and say what else made me give this a lower score. When that one clone gets shot he is out there for like 7 seconds with no cover with a bunch of droids shooting in his direction. He should have been hit or they should have had cover near by. It did not make sense for a character to sit in one place for that long and not get shot. Yes in Star Wars the bad guys usually miss but the good guys are also moving though. Also when Yoda arrived to save them and he deflects a blaster bolt into the coral, and that one shot takes down the whole coral destroying the droids, throwing his lightsaber would have been more believable. I didn't like yoda being all happy when he was fighting too, I always thought he was serious in the jedi chambers and on the battle field because he was so in-tuned to the force it was hard for him to enjoy anything. I thought he always faked that happiness in the company of non-jedi, and only in front of younglings, politicians, and troops to not worry them.

I thought like everyone else the cave scene was the best part of the episode. I also liked the politics behind this episode and the introduction of King Kutooko which totally changed my perception of watto's species for me.

Also EU tidbit which the team has been doing a good job of keeping consistent is that yoda was ordered after one battle early on in the war by Palpatine that Yoda should not be in the war and only conduct meetings. This episode showed that he was just there to negotiate and instead got thrown into a battle. This is an idea I liked and glad the Clone Wars team stayed with that idea =D=

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This for sure. As with the film, the droid humor just killed the episode for me. I think the part where the OOM droid said "Hold it" or something and kept repeating it until he shouted it was just an overkill. No way would I find that funny, or any sort of "fun" element to the episode.

18. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Like others above I give this a 9, however I'm not docking a point for the droid humor, something I happen to think the show does well and I find plenty amusing on it's own(which undoubtedly speaks volumes about my sense of humor ;) ), but more for the fact that I don't believe in handing out perfect scores.

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    10/10
    This episode introduced me to TCW. Truthfully, I was not expecting much as I had heard of the bad reviews the movie had gotten (without even having watched it myself). I was surprised at how well this episode was done and was immediately hooked on TCW.
    Yoda and the clones were just awesome in this episode and I could not wait to watch the rest of the season.

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Gave it a 9 this time. (Gave it an 8 in the sweep ratings)

Really, really good episode. Great ESB-esque Yoda riddles and giggling (sorely missing in the prequels), great personal interaction with the clones, fantastic to see him tear up almost an entire army, great use of the classic John Williams Yoda's Theme (one of my all-time favourite pieces) on several occasions. Loved the look of the coral moon, even though it was simple. Loved the birds with Yoda.

What's not to love?

Yeah the droids were goofy, but it doesn't bother me too much at all. Only thing that kept me from giving it a ten is knowing there are some episodes in this season that I like even better.

+1 ! :D

21. SidoDyas

SidoDyas Jedi Master star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    A recap of some interesting production information:

This is production number 108. We've been told that it was originally intended to air after the Malevolence trilogy. I think that would have originally placed it as episode nine (or episode six after the film was made). They decided to move it up to give a good launch for the show. This caused last minute changes in the webcomic to reflect the change in the timeline. "Supply Lines" may have moved its placement again, but we won't know for sure until the official order is made known.

It was written by Steven Melching, who wrote several of the early episodes, with Henry Gilroy as story editor and head writer. It is the only episode directed by Dave Bullock.

22. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I gave it an 8 though it could be a 9 for me as well and now that I'm typing, I knid of wish I gave it a 9.

Good episode overall, loved Yoda and the lie that mirrored the OT was cool, done very well. Nice battle strategy by Yoda and his interaction with the clones was a nice touch, would love to see more of that in future episodes.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This might still be my favorite episode. I love Yoda pwning Ventress at the end.

24. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Wow, I had no idea this episode was so beloved. I find it OK, but nothing to write home about. I can't help but think it might get some extra points from folks for sheer nostalgic value, since it was the proper introduction to the series.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The only funny thing about Yoda "deflecting" the laser bolts of the SBDs was that he would actually have to jump each time to deflect them as he's only 2 feet tall[face_whistling]