main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode: 103: Shadow of Malevolence

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode: 103: Shadow of Malevolence

Poll closed Jul 19, 2011.
  1. 10

21.4%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

32.1%
  4. 7

14.3%
  5. 6

3.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

3.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.6%
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    idea of the bridge is that it serves nor only as "brains" but also as "eyes" of the ship- it's observation deck as well- cannot be buried inside then it would need cameras- so commander would see where ship is going- and those cameras would be blinded easily- there is always weak points in the ship no matter where the bridge is.....

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    How would they see out? Holograms? That'd be dull. It would make sense, but, it wouldn't really tie in with Star Wars too well.

But I can totally get behind the precarious bridge towers being a dumb idea :oops:

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They don't use the viewports for anything significant, everything is controlled by computers, sensors, holoimages, etc.

Think about trying to steer a ship a kilometer long by looking out the front window.

Think about using your eyes to hit a ship miles away. They aren't just "eyeballing" it.

Think about trying to coordinate an entire fleet by looking out the window.

Even our navy vessels don't use viewports for anything significant.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    that would require cameraeyes that would be as easy targets as bridges even easier maybe....
    it's just dumb not to have bridgetowers at all -it's stylistic choice to make ships look cool to make a "head" of the dragon that can be cut off- besides how to destroy vessels without bridges- they would all have exhaust ports then or something anyway Achilles' Heel....
    if that kind of unreasonable facts bother you how can you accept anything in SW it's made up universe many things just make no sense.....

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Obviously I disagree.

I agree, it is about style and drama, the idea is that it makes for a better cinematic experience.

There are plenty of ways, you don't need some cheap Death Star exhaust port.

Where did you even get this from? When did I say that? It doesn't bother me, I just wouldn't do it that way.

This kind of random assumption about me is why I rarely even acknowledge you.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Ah, arguments on the internet...

Something I definitely did not miss on the beach:rolleyes: but who am I kidding, at least it means the forums are constantly active :-B

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Okay i though you were saying it's a problem...

9. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    This episode has two main weaknesses: General Grievous destroying his own battle droids (usually complaints that only work OOU don't bother me, but in this case I just can't stand it for some reason), and a high quantity of some of the worst droid humor in the entire series. Also, I could do without "Artooey."

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Watching this and talking about Starfighter combat has actually made me notice some interesting things. Due to the limitations of the filming techniques for the original films, starfighter combat was actually really realistic in terms of physics. Look at the trench run sequence again in ANH. When the X-wings are shot down, due to the limits on filming, it looks like the debris is still moving in the direction the X-wing was heading, instead of falling downwards as if there was gravity. That's how it would actually happen with real world physics.

Looking at the prequel films and TCW, they seem to go for the dogfighters dropping out of the sky due to gravity. this is seen readily in TPM and ROTS, and again here in TCW.

Seeing actual physics applied to ship battles would be a cool plus in my book.

11. jonas_jade

jonas_jade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2005
    In TPM and RotS there are planets to provide gravity? (Naboo / Coruscant) so it works when you watch it.

In this ep the one falling that I'm referring to is Matchstick's demise. The squadron is accelerating out of reach of the ion pulse, Matchstick's engine explodes, halting his acceleration and creating a force that thrusts his fighter to "move down" relative to the direction of the rest of the squadron. Another fighter doesn't have response time to maneuvre out of the way and so rams into Matchstick and they explode.

:-B

The part that's odd is that after this the ship appears to move in the wrong direction after the collision and then decelerate[!] and stop! (How?? he should just keep moving).

12. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Thanks for noticing! I thought I'd get more than one bite with that, but I'm glad at least one person got something out of it. I really couldn't believe just how nearly identical the pieces of music are. When you listen to each back to back, they sound so close I almost wanna say they're even in the same key, which means if they're the same melody in the same key with the same rhythm than it's literally the same piece of music re-used, a straight-up rip-off.

13. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

Perfect episode. It set the tone for the series and got me locked into S1.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Rewatched episode today it was bit better than i remembered- but i still give only 8- something was missing it was not bad or anything..... nice simple mission- show haven't really been focusing on spaceaction lately this was good space-episode but i must agree that there was way too much moviequotes- one moviequote is wonderful little hint- two quotes are fun but this had millions of them back to back in attackscene for example:oops: "Watch those towers" "We are too close loosen up!".... come on! Y-wings and entire mission to destroy superweapon was ANH-homage enough- no need to show history of GFFA repeating itself..... good that Dodonna was not there and Grievous didn't blow up Artoo "I have you now!" this should be original story not reenactement and too many quotes start to feel like that:p
    I was bit annoyed by GG's simple evilness "Caring for troops is just a weakness" maybe caring for droids or clones that are by many considered similarly living battlemachines- but still they can have bad guys without making them totally heartless feels bit shallow storytelling Grievous should be harsh but also tactical commander not caring for troops at all is not tactical... Plo managed to be nice he didn't annoy me at all like he does in Lethal Trackdown and season3..... odd really why they didn't keep him like that but made him to be some hypocrite supremejerk- and Ahsoka is kinda fun in this in fact she didn't annoy me either- in fact this is one of the few episodes where Grievous manages to be more annoying and you in fact want to see him to loose so- at least i- sympathised good guys now- like it should be, like it is in movies for example- too many times in TCW good guys are annoying instead......