main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode: 105 "Rookies"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 28, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode: 105 "Rookies"

Poll closed Apr 28, 2011.
  1. 10

63.2%
  2. 9

23.7%
  3. 8

10.5%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.6%
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah. For me, I am honest in these grade S1 polls, and I think a 10/10 for Rookies is fine for me. I did have a few minor issues with the episode, and I think someone mentioned one above. "Hevy evading a lot of blaster fire," but that's very minor.

2. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    10/10. Great episode. Whoever gave it a 1...this isn't "Evil Plans" :p

3. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    [face_laugh]

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I dunno, this one never gave me the warm fuzzies that it does a lot of other people. Maybe its because in general I'm not a fan of clone troopers.

It's a good self contained episode, it makes Rex look awesome and of course the end is incredible. The commando droids were cool, but overall came across as really kinda dumb. They kinda go badass to meh over the course of the episode.

Overall its well done and believable. Nothing in the plot of the episode feels like its out of place or forced. Even stuff like the giant worms, which could be troublesome, are at least explained in a plausible manner.

8/10

5. ShakTeeth

ShakTeeth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    10/10

This episode shows us where the future of Clone Wars can go. For those people that found the Clone Wars movie too childish? I only hope they stayed for the series, because at times, Clone Wars can go to some amazing places. Rookies is one outstanding example of this.

6. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Gave it a 9. (Rating unchanged)

Not the best episode ever, but certainly a very good one. I didn't give it a 10 because it doesn't get me as excited as some other episodes. (Like 'Rising Malevolence')

Two minor complaints:

I loved the Commando Droids impersonating the clones, but I thought the extreme hand gestures / body language were really overdone. It just looked ridiculous. Aside from that, it's a great idea that the droids have special vocabulators that can imitate clone voices, but then it's just ridiculous that they don't even know the most basic thing about their communication: clones don't say 'Roger, roger'. That was just too silly, in my opinion, but oh well.

Is it just me, or do Echo and Rex sound different than in (for example) season 3? I thought their voices sounded off, for some reason.

7. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    9.6/10 which rounds to ten. I daresay this episode was the peak of Season 1 and possibly close to the actual peak of the series so far. Unlike the movies, we actually see some threatening robots and fleshed out clone personalities. Only thing that was uncomfortable was when they fooled that commando droid so easily at the door.

8. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I don't think anyone mentioned this:

The commando droids have two fingers. When they're disguised as clones, they magically have five fingers.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    well they use clone's gloves....

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Yeah, it's called plot convenience.

11. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Just wanted to bring it up. :p

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    number of fingers is not really accurate in TCW anyway just watch Grievous:p
    real reason for extra fingers is of course clone's model reused...... or then they have extrafingers for such situations and attach them before wearing clone's uniform[face_laugh]

13. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Except that Grievous doesn't wear disguises of people with odd-fingered hands.

OK I worded that weirdly, but you know what I mean.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  15. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    10/10

Perfect episode in every way. It gave the series and extra sense of depth.

16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    10/10 - definitely one of the top episodes in TCW.
    I recall reading the episode synopsis (or summary) and thinking, "ok, just how good can an episode featuring only clones really be?"
    WOW! I was completely blown away. Especially with Dee Bradley Baker's voice intonations which give a personality to each clone. I really liked seeing the more mundane parts of the clones daily routines. A simple episode such as this did far more to make the clones an interesting part of the Star Wars universe than episodes II annd III did. I hope TCW continues to give us episodes such as this, perhaps a multi-story arc with Delta Squad.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    stop bashing Evil Plans:mad: or i start to bash Mortis again:p - we all have our problem-episodes but all can agree that Rookies rules[face_laugh]

except that mystical guy who won't bother to tell reasons for his/her ratingss

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, i just assumed they took the gloves, although you suspend your disbelief and "assume" the gloves fit.

With respect to the gestures, I always thought it was because droids generally wouldn't ever gesture, but these droids are "clever" enough to realize that humans usually do in their conversations. However, they went way over the top because they don't understand the subtleties of human conversation.

That's my solid in-universe explanation.[face_laugh]

With respect to Hevy evading blaster fire, that's true of probably every single TCW episode, if not every single action sequence of the last 25 years. [face_laugh]

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Right on. The fact that those uber droids are such noobs at simple human gesturing ws a very nice touch.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    besides it's probable that they were programmed by non-humans who don't understand human gesturing much either.... even though Geonosians also move their hands a lot.... anyway i love that scene "Thank for visiting- and have a safe trip.... back!"[face_laugh] Cody and Rex are like "What the...Is this guy drunken or just mad or what?"

21. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    You stopped? [face_laugh]

22. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well my bashing won't make it any better.... so i will just forget it....... BIM.....

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Ah, yes, and I agree, Tarkus.

24. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I'm just teasing. :) Anyway, I loved it when RD gave himself up when he learned that 3PO was going to be dismantled. That three seconds or so was really nice.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Chock up another 10/10. One of the best episodes in the series, and the highlight of early Season 1. The Commando droids gave us the first actual threat in the series, and this was the first time we got to see Cody and Rex act off one another.

"Roger, Roger -BLAM!-"

Another thing I enjoyed were the visuals. I'm rather critical when it comes to the animation quality in this show, but for a season 1 episode, they really did well with what they had at their disposal. The meteors reflecting off the bubble shield looked really neat.

Great episode.