main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode 2.03: "The Lost Commanders" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheSilentInfluence, Oct 14, 2015.

?

Grade the Episode 2.03: "The Lost Commanders"

Poll closed Oct 21, 2015.
  1. 10

6.3%
  2. 9

16.5%
  3. 8

31.6%
  4. 7

21.5%
  5. 6

7.6%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

3.8%
  8. 3

6.3%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    What's wrong with Sato?

2. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    darskpine10

"Siege of Lothal" showed why and he continues to question the ones who saved him. He should be lucky he is not removed from these meetings for being stubborn and incompetent.

3. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

What if, in a twist, it was revealed that Sato was a former CIS general that joined the rebellion?

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Sure, I love the Separatists most of all in this franchise and that would be a nice twist, but I would not want him to be a former Separatist. What would make you think he might be a former CIS commander? Are you toying with me?!:p

5. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

Just a little bit, your CIS loyalty is well known.

Actually, Sato could be former CIS. He is apparently an experienced commander that did not join the Empire as one would imagine most Republic commanders would (if they weren't clones or murdered Jedi) It would also make the fledgling rebel fleet have a former CIS and a former Republic commander.

Yes, this is my new theory.:-B

6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I was originally going to give this an 8 but in all honesty, it was a pretty slow episode and not much happened, so I gave it a 7. I did really like all the Clone Wars references though. I think next week's episode will definitely be better.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Next week we get to see some good old mini guns. :D

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Sato comes off to me as a by the book officer who does not grasp the concept of asymmetrical / guerilla warfare.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  9. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I tend to agree with this. He seems to specialize in the more formal style of battlefield warfare, where as the crew of the Ghost seems to be more well versed in guerrilla warfare. More or less Phoenix SQD did an ambush in Siege of Lothal, which I would think is a standard tactic.

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Not to mention the fact that he needs Ezra to tell him he needs a base to lay low and not constantly waste fuel flying around.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Well.... I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing to be on the move. There is something to be said for being mobile and space is a big place, but the Empire has a vast amount of resources at its finger tips to use in finding the rebels so hiding is a good fall back position. That being said, a stationary base also has its own drawbacks as well.

As an example, military mobile command posts aren't completely unheard of. Also having a forward base that moves with you, like a ship, helps to not only extend your range but also makes you more responsive to anything that may come along your way. If we refer to shows like BSG and B5, there is usually some type of patrol (CAP- combat air patrol) that goes around the fleet to intercept anything that might threaten the fleet.

12. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    The Rebel base on Hoth seems like a good example of this, the Rebels had invested in setting up the base when the Empire comes along forcing the Rebellion to abandon their base and all the effort that had gone into setting it up.

please do :)

I would think that the biggest limitation of a mobile fleet would be that it limits the growth of the Rebellion. The rebellion needs a place to store fuel and resources in order to grow, if the resources float around with the fleet then they are subject to Empire destruction along with the ship that they are stored on.

I didn't rate this episode as I feel that rating the first half of an arc isn't fair. Obviously the first half is going to be slow as the story needs exposition to be meaningful. I think this episode did well on that front, we met the clones, began to understand their personalities, their history (with scars), and the dynamics of how they interact with the Ghost crew. This allows the second half of the episode to focus on the action without being slowed down with story exposition or character development. Looking forward to Relics :)

When Ahsoka brought up Rex she described him as a "Leader" and Sato seemed to go along with this so I am hoping that Rex displaces Sato as leader of Pheonix SQD because Sato does seem less than capable.

13. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    That's why you need both land bases and multiple battle groups. Neither of which I think, nor do I get the feeling, that the current rebellion can support. I think as we get closer to ANH, the size of the overt rebel fleet will grow but we may not actually see all of it. Just like I believe it was stated in the comics that Admiral Ackbar's fleet was away at the time of the Battle of Yavin IV. In the films we don't actually see a portion of the fleet until the end of ESB, and the rest of the fleet in ROTJ. There's no reason for the rebels to put all their eggs in one basket.

The problem with having a mobile fleet, is the logistics of one in regards to resupply for consumables like food or equipment for repairs. This is a larger problem for the rebels since essentially stopping at any port that they don't control presents a pretty big risk if their ships or faces (in the case of the crew of the Ghost) are known to be rebels.

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Thank you for the kind words! Your theory does give the new Alliance to have a more diverse and interesting lineup of commanders. Time will tell...

moonjump05 likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't think there would be many CIS officers still among the living.

16. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I think this was a very good little episode. It certainly was more of a middling/transition one between Siege of Lothal and the following episode Relics Of The Old Republic, with not a lot of very plot relevant stuff happening and having a bit of of exposition in there, but it still worked very well and I enjoyed it a lot (and I never thought it was boring).

I really like the trio of old clone troopers trio (Rex, Wolffe and Gregor) being brought back, how they were portrayed as individuals now compared to then and how it was done was fine too (perhaps it was a bit easy to find them, but whatever); I also still really like their refurbished AT-TE walker, a.k.a. Rex' moving castle, a lot and finally seeing it in action was all good. Kanan being harsh, bitter and untrusting of the clones was also something I liked and the scenes and dialogue concerning that were really quite good, perhaps especially the exchange between him and Hera via hologram transmission (and as for Wolffe alerting the Empire about the Ghost crew out out of fear for the safety of his own group, I hope he won't be too easily forgiven for that).

I have to say that the hightlight of the episode was the giant underground eel fishing sequence (using Zeb as bait); it was a kinda silly but fun sequence and I loved the whole Jaws homage of the scene right down to the choice of music (one of the best tracks so far from the show, incoporating Jaws score sound-alike snippets and new stuff as well); maybe it doesn't add a lot to the whole picture but it was really entertaining.

So again, it's no doubt a good episode and a nice build-up to the next episode with the probe droid climax which ends with that cliffhanger.

8/10

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, yeah. This event has nothing to do with the countless of commanders across the galaxy after the war.
    Firstly, there were 1000s of systems under the CIS so I doubt one little Sith "Lord" would manage to stop them all.
    Also, we never see Tikkes die in the footage provided by you, nor we see his body anywhere. Also, Tikkes was the only one NOT to attend the Hologram message by Palpy so... yeah, plenty are left if idiot writers do not kill them off due to love of the Originals and wanting to do stories about Imperials but not Separatists.
    If the new canon has proven one thing, it is that if you do not see somebody die on screen and see his lifeless body there for the galaxy to witness THEN they are not dead. Just ask the Imperial General Tagge. He was dead for years, but now he is alive thanks to the removal of the old EU and some "writers" wanting to use a character from the movies. So what is stopping Tikkes to appear on "Rebels".

What I have learned is that no matter what you see on screen, the fate of a character depends on the writers or authors who come after that.
    That tangent aside, a lot of "The Clone Wars" commanders never met their ends and we never saw them again like Lok Durd, Mar Tuuk, Nuvo Vindi, Atai Molec and the Zygerrian Empire, Moralo Eval and many others.

Case and point, anything is possible in "Star Wars". Nobody is dead until they are really, really dead and nobody wants to use them in the future.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  18. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Thats GRAND General Tagge to you Squidface.

La Calavera likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was a long period where people thought that the General Ulic Tagge in the old Marvel SW comics was him - before ANH's Tagge got the first name Cassio, and stated to have died in ANH.

So Tagge was thought to be alive - then clarified as being dead - then made alive again.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Exactly! I wish the same could happen to my beloved Tikkes. For like a cameo or something.

I am sorry, what is so grand about this 70s human?!

SeparatistFan likes this.
  21. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    A lot more then whats grand about that 00's fish!*prays tikkes wasn't in TPM*

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Yup, he is in "The Phantom Menace". You can't handle the Tikkes! :p

[​IMG]

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CJl86kdWwAAmrLh.mp4

There is a lot of "grand" in Tikkes, but he is not for everybody I guess. Keep your Tagge!

There is that! As awesome as it was, still would have been more awesome to have him appear in "The Clone Wars" or "Rebels".

But I do not wish to derail this thread anymore with my Tikkes talk. It is after all about clones and "Rebels". May the Force be with you!

24. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Actually I just said that because that is Tagges rank. He is a grand general who has graphs AND the command.

25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

I know, just messing with you! :p

Maybe Tagge will show up in "Rebels" since there has been a huge need of "new" characters. Kinda tired of Konstantine and Kallus.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.