main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode: 211: Lightsaber Lost

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Aug 4, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode: 211: Lightsaber Lost

Poll closed Nov 2, 2011.
  1. 10

13.8%
  2. 9

6.9%
  3. 8

10.3%
  4. 7

27.6%
  5. 6

17.2%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

3.4%
  8. 3

3.4%
  9. 2

3.4%
  10. 1

13.8%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    That Padme said 'Oh my how you've grown.' Says to me Padme and Ahsoka have known each other for a while off screen. But I don't know how fast a Togruta grows. I think the last time they were on screen together was all the way back in 'Mystery of a Thousand Moons'. Not sure where that would be in the time jumping either.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This is true, and it's :rolleyes:

3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, that does annoy me. I wouldn't be surprised if Ahsoka already knows a lot of the one shot and secondary characters floating around out there even if she never came to within half a galaxy of them on screen.

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    A lot of Jedi know a lot of politicians, I think it'd be a bit odd for every single relationship to have a fully fleshed out background in a series with such a serialized format. If I were to pick things for them to do more of on the show I don't think that would be on the list.

5. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    That's just bad writing in general. Forcing the audience to accept a friendship that wasn't mentioned or seen before is just stupid.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The obvious solution is to treat them as one would expect, total strangers or at most acquaintances with nothing more than knowledge of each other's existence.

The "my how you've grown" may have just been the writer's desire to use a line from the movies. (Padme to Anakin, AOTC)

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Ahsoka-Padmé hug was definitely bit odd but.... lesbian theories because of one hug:rolleyes: i mean... that's farfetched- is Chewie gay when hugging Luke and Han?

It was bit too close for Ahsoka and Padmé maybe, but they were together in 1000 moons and off-creen that's kinda natural- TCW has plenty of off-screen happenings -i won't make problems out of them.... most of the major stuff happens off-screen anyway- these are random stories taken from that era and i kinda like that way to make TV-series, i didn't mind prequels either....

Chuchi-thing looks like they just did forget that Trespass had no Ahsoka.... or then it was all those artworks with Ahsoka and Chuchi together that were made before Sphere of Influence[face_thinking] - i mean there was plenty of all kind of artworks with them together- creating illusion they are some kind of pair- i mean appropriate stuff.. of course:D

It would've been groundbreaking move to make Ahsoka lesbian though, but then Lux happened:p...

aaand this thread took a very odd detour- only because episode has two female characters working togethero_O -partner in crime doesn't need to be sexually involved in anyway.....

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    By that logic pretty much all science-fiction serials and episodic series are "bad writing," which I would strongly disagree with. Are you a professional writer? An English major? Because I could just start listing classic books, shows, and movies which use that technique, it's practically a sci-fi tradition. (For example, in Ep. V they don't explain in detail how Lando and Han became friends, they just add Lando to the story and it's accepted that he and Han were friends in the past, which by your rubric would seem to be just stupid and god-awful writing.)

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Good points but GG probably meant friendship between two already introduced characters never before seen together- this same thing happened with Chewie and Yoda, Chewie and Ahsoka and so on but i'm not really bothered by it Chuchi was with Anakin and Obi-Wan so Ahsoka knowing her is not too farfetched and Ahsoka and Padmé not farfetched at all....

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    In the context of lots of Jedi knowing lots of politicians, I don't find it surprising or reality-defying that a very young female senator would strike up a friendship with a very young female Jedi (especially when it's pre-established that that senator is friendly with that Jedi's Master). If someone needs a full explanation for that, I would wonder how they got this far into watching science-fiction to begin with, since by it's nature it requires a great deal of imagination, while this specific example requires none.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, at the same time Tarkas, once they ask us to buy into the universe, we expect the universe to follow its own internal logic.

We're getting fairly off-topic at this point, but Ahsoka and Chuchi being friends is fairly unlikely - a Senator who most likely spends most of her time on Coruscant, or back on Pantora, being in frequent-enough contact to befriend a Jedi Padawan who is out with her Master involved in the most crucial military plots for the Republic?

It's not impossible, just unlikely. Ditto Padme having all these adventures - I thought it was a little disingenous of Padme in Hostage Crisis to brush off Anakin's attempts at flirting/romance, saying she's way too busy, when she obviously can clear her calendar whenever she feels like to go off on some adventures.

You know what would be a great episode? Padme actually getting in trouble for not being responsible! Imagine (I don't know US politics, so I'll use the example of Obama) if Senator Obama was in Afghanistan, Chechnya, Somalia, and not just as a diplomatic service, but actually involved in the thick of things? I'm pretty sure he would be called out for not being responsible to the US citizens who elected him.

Whatever, it's no more ridiculous than a planet having a 14-year-old democratically-elected monarch, so....[face_laugh]

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    We can see all things in SW "ridiculous"......

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't see any conflict of internal logic here, Garth. As you explain it may not be highly likely, but nonetheless it doesn't require much (if any) imagination to infer how it happened once you know it did and when you take the context into account.

I don't really care much one way or the other, I was arguing more against the notion that not explaining every background detail of all the characters' interpersonal relationships automatically constitutes "bad writing" since that is almost never the case, meaning that claim implies that most classic literature (not to mention television and film) is "bad writing." I personally don't think more detailed Ahsoka/Chuchi back-story would have enhanced the episode in question, if it were up to me I would have added other things. I'm a bit ambivalent about Ahsoka and pretty apathetic about the Pantoran senator, but I didn't think them being very friendly meant either (1) that they were lesbian lovers or (2) that they were absolute best-of-friends in constant contact...but as the recurring rules of the internet demand, those who want to see nothing there instead see more than anyone else.

I agree about the Padme stuff. We got Destroy Malevolence when the show started, let's just leave it at that and keep her a senator.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Who says Ahsoka first met Chuchi when Padawan- maybe she met her as youngling- like Padawan Lost indicated younglings have training missions outside the temple- and Chuchi being young senator, she probably have had all kind of political schools whatever, when she was still a child- like Padmé had- so maybe they met as very young when both Pantoran political students and jedi younglings went to senate or something.... LOL reminds of Lego TV-special but i guess Ian Solo was not involved[face_laugh]....

It seems in GFFA it is usual to have children involved in politics it is more like cultural thing- therefore i don't find 14-year old democratically elected monarch so ridiculous, it is just a cultural difference- most cultures on Earth see children as incapable and not-yet-ready people but on Naboo they seem to believe more in pure non-corrupted mind of the child- maybe naive, but possible- knowing how different cultures can be....
    There is certain irony that Palpatine comes from that culture.....

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The Lego special isn't meant to be taken serious. It can ignore continuity and be off the wall random like any good comedy show for kids these days. TCW needs to have a sense of continuity. Maybe as much as I don't want to ever see Padme again in TCW again, they'll flesh out their friendship and shed light on how they got to know each other in the future. That one probably has something to do with Anakin, Padme the babysitter. Then the same with Chuchi who I'd certainly like to see in future episodes.

Anyone have anymore to say about this episode, 'Lightsaber Lost'? Like how stupid would amateur criminals have to be to try and steal a Jedi Padawan's lightsaber.

16. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Seerow, that is true because anything relating to Lego SW is non-canon.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Thank you General Obvious. =P

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Had to state it since there's certain people that don't agree with it, even though it's confirmed. :p

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Uh... you got me totally wrong if you need to remind me of that:rolleyes: .....but youngling's training mission is mentioned in Padawan Lost and jedi working closely with politicians-it seems natural these future diplomats really would go to senate- not in the way it was depicted in Lego-special of course but not everything in non-canon material need to be non-canon either.....

It haven't been very good in that..... some arcs have internal continuity issues......

20. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    This episdoe was great. My favorite part was when Ashoka was pursing the lightsaber theif, when she landed on a large bilboard of Palpatine defending the Jedi. Man, is Palpatine a genius!

21. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same here.

7/10, though. Sinube was a great character, and I liked some of the environments.