main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.05: "Hera's Heroes" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheSilentInfluence, Oct 15, 2016.

?

Grade The Episode

Poll closed Oct 22, 2016.
  1. 10

17.1%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

25.7%
  4. 7

21.4%
  5. 6

10.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to Rebels Season 3! Have you watched "Hera's Heroes" yet?​
    Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all?Let us know!​
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!​
    Note: This poll will close two weeks from now.:)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    9/10 for me. Thrawn seems to emit some sort of idiot signal like the Brain Spawn from Futurama, but other than that, I thought the episode was really good.

3. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    10/10 my fav episode this season. Loved the bit with Chopper and Thrawn even better than I expected.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    8/10

Cool uses of Cham and Thrawn, with the Spectres along for the ride. Some great development for both Hera and Thrawn, and even a little bit for Chopper.

5. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy
    Why'd you change to Todd's avatar? For a second there I thought he posted 2 separate reviews, so I was a little confused.

As for my review, I'll give it a 9/10. I thought it was pretty good and I liked Thrawn for the most part.

I'm actually not giving it a 10/10 because of the animation error with the Phantom appearing on the Ghost even though it was destroyed. It's not the end of the world, but it still bugs me a little.

Zillobeast and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  6. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    10/10 for me. Really loved this episode. Thrawn is in top form, and I can already see what he's got in mind for the Ghost Crew. Can't remember who on this forum mentioned that Thrawn might actually be on ryloth conducting his research on Hera and, and I completely agree with that sentiment. He's probably going to plan on a research trip or two before the mid-season is over and then make his move. Looking back, it actually kind of makes sense that the Imperial commander would make the blunders that he did in this episode. Rather than all of the imperials being idiots to make Thrawn look good, I got the impression that the commander's prejudice against Twileks was affecting his judgement. Plus, I think Thrawn may have used this to also figure out that the rebels keep sneaking Chopper into Imperial bases to wreak havoc and turn that against them.

7. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Solid 7/10 not too much happened but I'm loving Thrawn so far.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    9/10 for me. I wasn't too keen on the sub plot with the other characters making a distraction, but everything with Hera and Thrawn was fantastic. The voice acting between those two was really top of the line and the scenes did a great job showing off another layer of Hera and giving us a brilliant introduction to Thrawn. The soundtrack was also pretty great. Overall I loved it.

9. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016
    9/10

Probably my second favorite episode this season. Liked how this episode didn't focus on the other characters too much, and instead mainly focused on Hera, probably the most underused member of the Ghost team. However, Thrawn absolutely stole the show, and was probably the best part of the episode. I also loved Chopper's ascended role in this episode. My only problem was that they kept switching to the less interesting subplot of Kanan, Cham, and team escaping from the Imperial walker, rather than focusing on Hera, Ezra, and Thrawn.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  10. The Admiral Snackbar

The Admiral Snackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    7/10. Rather alright episode by itself but Thrawn really really made it special.

TX-20 likes this.
  11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    10/10. I loved that we got a glimpse into Hera's past and seeing Thrawn was fantastic.

12. silvereyed

silvereyed Jedi Knight

Sep 6, 2016
    7/10

it started out as a 4/10 because the scenery was super static against the moving characters in the opening scenes and the lighting seemed kind of off they way it did in early season 1 to me

but I loved the rest of it! It was great seeing more of the relationship between Hera and Ezra, and I really liked what we saw of Thrawn

13. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    6, slightly above average. Weakest of the season so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    9/10. Really enjoyed the episode and I liked learning more about Hera's past. We even see a little more of Chopper's past with the downed Y-wing. I don't know why but Hera I found it funny when Hera said Chopper "still has issues with it."

Really liked how they used Thrawn in this one and the character. His art fetish actually was utilized well here. Him stunning Ezra was pretty cool too.

15. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    8/10, I enjoyed it very much.

+The improved animation in the show is very noticeable in this episode, mostly during the diversion scenes.
    +Glimpes of Hera and Chopper's history, more backstory is always appreciated.
    +Thrawn was great, and now we know what gets on his nerves! The inability to appreciate art!
    +Soundtrack during the Thrawn scenes....
    +Pace this episode was pretty good compared to the last episode.

Got no real quarrels with this episode. Was all round good.

16. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    9/10

Overall, another excellent episode. Not sure about those animals begin able to stay ahead of the speeder bikes. that was the only thing that kinda bugged me a little.

Fuzzy ambassador likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it an 8/10. Though she again had a minor roll, it was nice seeing Numa again. Some questions of course, like the AT-ST not being able to keep up with and shoot at the riding animals. It was interesting that Thrawn kept Hera's family heirloom instead of destroying it.

18. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    7/10

While some may not like how Thrawn let them escape, it's pretty clear that he is not interested in capturing a small cell of the rebellion. Rather he wants the rebel fleet. Looks like the Empire controls Ryloth, and will until the end of the Galactic Civil War IMO.

Really enjoying Thrawn and I find it interesting how he was unknown to Hera. In fact I don't think he ever mentioned his name in the episode, at all. I'm enjoying how he is the menace that is unnamed and the master of action behind the scenes.

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Gave it a 10, favorite episode this season, mostly because of Thrawn and it focussed more on Hera and her family.

20. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    8/10. It was good overall, but I had some issues with it. But Hera and Thrawn in a scene together was superb.

Hera’s Heroes is an oddly titled episode that also happens to harbor the weakest script of the season thus far. The strength of Rebels this season has arrived from an understanding of just how dire the circumstances are for the Rebellion. The scrappy band of outlaws from the first season was fun, but that sense of camaraderie and banter has given way to a storytelling operating on a much more mature understanding of those very characters (well, more for some than others); and the settings around those characters has had to become more complex simply through sheer consequence. It is partially because of that evolution that the episode’s clunky beginning is especially off-putting. Stormtroopers of all ilk being considerably terrible shots has become a sort of running joke within the Star Wars mythology, which is fine but at a certain point the joke has to be kept to a minimum before it starts defying the sense of logic present in the narrative. Rebels doesn’t have to completely dive into the darkness in order to sustain itself, but the opening sequence’s clumsiness lends itself to being awkwardly comedic, even though it was clearly not intended to have that effect. The audience is dropped onto a chase sequence on a Ryloth plateau as Cham Syndulla and Numa are being pursued by scout troopers on their bikes made infamous in Return of the Jedi. Within about two seconds the sequence becomes problematic in how utterly inept these troopers are. For heaven’s sake, they’re not aiming with pistols from such a long distance and when they do get to their pistols, they’re missing at point-blank range against a giant beast. Hera comes to the rescue and the remaining scout trooper backs right into the ship with the expectation that that was somehow even remotely an intelligent move.

The opening sequence’s clunkiness aside, the episode has a problem in really grounding the reality of everything else because the same issue is repeated during the escape sequences outside the Imperial headquarters that used to be Hera’s home. It takes away from the seriousness of the circumstances and the emotional complexity elsewhere that an AT-AT is incapable of firing a decent shot at rebels that are within target range in relatively tight locations. The criticism can definitely be seen as being nitpicky, but those moments, especially in a season like this one, stick out as being contrastingly derivative. The set-up for Hera’s rescue of Cham and Numa also doesn’t make much sense in terms of narrative logic, because it just sort of seems to appear out of nowhere and not for any good particular reason. The episode kicks into gear when the rebels arrive at Hera’s home, which only makes its preceding minutes seem that much more wasteful in comparison. The Imperial capture of the Tanh Province should have been the catalyst for Hera’s appearance in the first place, providing a smoother plot structure and more importantly, the kickoff for her emotional conflict in the episode before she makes her decision to retrieve the Kalikori and save some vestige of her family’s legacy. The retrieval goes about as well as one expects, but that is the segment where the script gets to where it really feels at home.

Hera was forged by war. From the end of the Clone War to the Rebellion, there wasn’t a part of her existence that wasn’t affected by the violence of war and the consequences it leaves in its wake. That’s why the Kalikori, the last vestige of what her life was like before it was suddenly torn apart in her childhood, means so much to her. She knows it’s selfish to risk so much to garner it, but she has risked herself so much for her crew that they stick by her without a second thought. Thrawn studies the art of war, to perfect it but he knows it’s not nearly the same as having your very existence be shaped by it in every facet imaginable. Hera’s act was a good one, but it is unfortunate that Thrawn sees right through it, as he sees right through Ezra’s disguise. Hera and Ezra manage to escape and blow the Imperial headquarters sky high, but their escape feels (probably by design) ephemeral. Thrawn is a man who remains largely an enigma as far as Rebels is concerned, but his unparalleled ability to garner knowledge in the ambition of crafting a long-term plan to achieve victory is what makes him so quintessentially terrifying. To defeat an enemy, often people use blunt instruments or short-term strategy. That’s why one could logically argue the Empire has been so ineffective against this particular band of rebels. While numerous Imperial officers see each band of rebels as distinctive units despite their unity in the Rebellion, Thrawn sees the Rebellion as a whole and each band of rebels as a stepping stone to crushing the entire movement. He values, as others do not, a worthy adversary and each time this particular group of rebels escapes his grasp, he garners more information on them. Each escape is not a defeat but an enlightening chapter in a terrifying book of Thrawn’s design.

Great/Not So Great Moments Not Mentioned Above:
    +The set design was quite impressive
    +Chopper’s ship
    +Hera’s accent
    +Thrawn’s obsession with art is rendered perfectly here
    +“War is in your blood.”
    +“To defeat an enemy, you must know them.”
    +The music
    +“They’ve earned their victory today.”
    +Hera noting that the loss of her Kalikori to Thrawn was a bit clichéd but heart-warming. The Rebels are definitely going to need to stick together closer than ever before going forward.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I gave it an 8/10 because of Thrawn. Although I did enjoy Hera's backstory.

22. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    Ok episode. 6/10. I wish I would have liked it more because I really like Hera and the twi'lek people.
    Thought the premise was a little weak. I think it would of been more believable if Hera was breaking into her father's office for something more important than a family heirloom. She could have seen Thrawn with the kalikori (sp? ) and, blinded by strong feelings of nostalgia, get distracted from her mission. I liked the Thrawn scene with the ominous music but most of that was seen in the preview.

I remember blurrgs from one of the ewok live-action tv movies. They were ponderously slow beasts so when I saw them running like Seabiscuit and Secretariat I couldn't help but laugh. It was even more funny when they went up the Ghost's ramp backwards! :rolleyes:

I liked the small look into Chopper's past. Now I wonder who piloted that Y-wing. Also liked the part where Hera mentions her family and Zeb and Ezra are shown. Awww.

23. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    8/10. Thrawn is awesome, shame other Imperials get force-fed stupid pills to make it more apparent though.

24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I gave it a generous 6. Sadly forgetful, but it could've been so much more if effort went into it. These fire and forget episodes are starting to get on my nerves. They could've had Hera and Ezra pull a "Temple of Doon" by freeing the slaves and smashing some big mining operation, instead its another dumb infiltrate, get captured, escape, Empire's psychotic serial blunders capture and release or" let them escape" with catastrophic high casualties...blah blah.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015