main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.12-3.13:"Ghosts of Geonosis" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheSilentInfluence, Jan 7, 2017.

?

Grade The Episode

Poll closed Jan 14, 2017.
  1. 10

12.7%
  2. 9

19.0%
  3. 8

36.7%
  4. 7

16.5%
  5. 6

6.3%
  6. 5

3.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2.5%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Too many references. I get it. TCW was a thing.

2. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    7/10 but +1 for the "I hate sand, it gets everywhere" drop. The most the show has ever made me laugh.

3. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    7 - good but I wanted more substance.

4. Ljji

Ljji Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2017
    Maybe Ezra's moral judgement of "it's okay to murder on sight anyone carrying a weapon" is him deep in the dark side, but the rest of the Ghost crew agreed with this horrible nonsense.

Seems like they forced Saw in, and it's cost us an over arching story with Thrawn.

Pretty much everything was terrible.

5. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    even tho it was great to see Saw again.....found the episode abit under-whelming, just wished they went into what happened on Geonosis in more depth ( saving it future episode perhaps? )

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What references seemed forced?

7. DeltaRecon226

DeltaRecon226 Jedi Knight

Sep 20, 2012
    7/10
    Pros:
    -Animation is getting excellent
    -Characterization is very solid around the board for all characters
    -The modelling of the world and objects was aesthetically pleasing

Cons:
    -As others have stated, action lacks weight and consequence in Rebels
    -Story arc was not substantial

V-2 and Vialco like this.
  8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    6/10
    Sloppy direction (why was Saw never looking anyone in the eye?), sound editing (especially when the Ghost had just landed and everyone starts shouting over the 0.1dB increase in noise from the storm outside), and, worst of all, storytelling.

If the Imperial objective was to destroy the Ghost then why didn't they just bombard the tunnel from the get go? It's not good enough to say the commander was inexperienced, I have zero experience of commanding a starship and even I thought of it. ;)

Some amazing navigation and piloting in this episode. Obviously that inexperienced commander has access to some kind of time machine. Maybe she should lend it to Saw 'Poochie' Gerrera: he's louder and angrier than the other characters and when he's not on screen everyone else is talking about him.

Why don't the Jedi just stop this psycho from torturing this cute bug?

Will the egg be okay? Well he's taken care of it this long, so why not? Um maybe because it hadn't had agonising electric current arcing through it and being dropped on the floor multiple times before now.

All that said, it was fun, it had moments that made me laugh for the right reasons. But it just felt like it was knitting a load of stuff together for the sake of it, like the bad EU/fanfic of old.

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    According to Pablo back in the recon for Shroud of Darkness the Rebels didnt detect the queen of Vader #4 because they did not scan deep enough into the planet, so either its a different queen or he's making stuff up or mis-directing or something,lol.

Tie Bombers did not appear able to hit or penetrate a darn stationary Ghost ship. I don't really know why they flew directly over the tunnel nor why The Ghost could not of just flew down the same way it flew up in the first place as the width did not seem to matter after all. Was not like the Imperial ship was gonna drop bombs down the hole and there was no reason they had to be directly on top of it to destroy the hole. So what was the purpose of deploying Rocket Troopers armed with the their tiny blasters and some carrying grenades. That had to be the poorest method of destroying the ship as none of them were carrying anti-armor/shipping weapons. They could've deployed troops to set explosives to destroy the cave up at the top. Are reports of The Ghost being crewed by Jedi just not penetrating their thick heads? Its like those Tie Bombers were dropping golfballs on The Ghost or something. If they detected the ship why wasnt reinforcements deployed. Why are small time imperial crews thinking of personal glory and advancement, they arent Sith or Inquisitors its like there is no military training or discipline. If neither Tarkin or Thrawn havent succeeded did they really think they would?! If rebels were there previously, and the Imperials "cleaned up", then why didnt they set a trap for any intruders or keep a base on or off the planet.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Very good and enjoyable couple of episodes. It was great going back to Geonosis and both revisiting the surface and the underground catacombs again, the overall plot about retrieving Saw Gerrera and his team (that ends up being gone except for Saw) from the planet and discovering not only a remaining Geonosian and one last egg but also what the Empire did there to the Geonosian people was good, there was some good action overall (that fight against the Imperial jumptroopers while descending the cave was really good; it was neat seeing Sabine flying around with her jetpack and shooting at the troopers) & the humor was really good (Sabine's line about not liking sand was an amusing callback & the "He's no Skywalker" bit was funny).

I liked the Geonosian, Klik-Klak, and thought it was nice that they humanized the species a bit with him (and I did want him and that egg to survive because the Geonosians deserve a second chance), the pre-Rogue One Saw Gerrera was portrayed well (he's not exactly a too likeable character but that's the point; he's a complex one who makes some things harder than they should be), the female Imperial captain was a good antagonist & the Ghost crew got some good moments (I liked the scene of Sabine and Zeb guiding the generator core through the field of dormant destroyer droids and having to fend them off when they activate while Kanan and Ezra's group chase Klik-Klak, who has the remote transmitter that controls the droids, through the tunnels).

Overall, it was a very nice episode that were both entertaining and interesting; there were a few mistakes and flaws (such as the crew not getting at least a recorded testimony from Klik-Klak as some extra evidence about what the Empire did to his people, only concentrating on bringing those bulky poison canisters with them and loses them) but I still really liked it. If they were to make a sequel episode to this I would be all for it.

8/10

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh yeah, the remote transmitter that works through the tunnels, even though the rebels require an oversized relay system to get just a weak audio signal underground. They should have taken that technology as well as the magic shield generator.

Oh, and the radio relay box thing.... Zeb left it behind. So now the Imperials have Phoenix squadron's comms frequency and, one assumes, the key to unscrambling it, right?

And another thing, Saw's compliments to Syndulla regarding each other's reputations as rebel leaders implies that the cell system don't exist any more.

I know this is for children, but children are not as accepting of bad storytelling logic as bad storytellers assume they are.

Vorax and fett 4 like this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

I think it's a not just Rebels but a general dumbing down across the board. Spectacular Spiderman was a fantastic cartoon that was suitable for all ages with some great writing. They dropped that and replaced it with that Ultimate Spider man cartoon which was just [face_bleh]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    7/10
    A nice episode with some cool references from Sabine, Rex and Saw who finally mentions his sister. And another female imperial, nice. One thing I didn't like was Saw suddenly deciding Ezra but at least it was less egregious than in Last Battle and judging by RO, sounds like it didn't last and I'm not sure if I buy that this queen is the same one we see in the Darth Vader comic, seems a little too convenient to me to say that they're all called Karina the Great.
    Other than that, nothing major really happened. Saw is Saw less unhinged than in RO, the rebels are still completely oblivious to what kind of weapon the empire is building but it makes sense I guess oh and they know what happened to the geonosians, I guess.

14. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    Funny how Ezra tell Saw that he is no better than the Empire.
    I wonder how he acted if Kanan, Sabine, Hera and Zeb were all killed by this bug.;)
    Well I guess redshirts doesn't count...

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    5/10

Bringing Rex back was one thing, even including Geonosis was fine since it was the building ground for the Death Star, but including TCW-era droids and wrapping Saw's entire motivation around Steela was too much TCW.

Saw's characterization was all over the charts. Pick a Saw: sentimental Saw or soldier Saw.

The dynamic with the crew was generally good, Ezra the Bug Whisperer was cute, and I like that we are getting more than the Ghost crew on Lothal these days, the Alliance seems to be getting some traction.

V-2 likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    What bothered me most of all if The Ghost had the means to which to destroy that Imperial ship, why not do it from the get go. What was her point of even hiding in the cave to which they had no way out but back up again. Why risk being buried alive or getting trapped in. She could've destroyed that lone Imperial ship anytime she wanted apparently as they had the weapons and will to do it all along. Was not like they needed to go down there and grab some missile. Or she could took off and came back with reinforcements or called in reinforcements from within the planet or in the space - don't they have stand by ships just in case of emergencies now that they have a base. All the communications stuff just delivers up the same gags all the time.

V-2 likes this.
  17. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    8/10. It was good. My favorite part has to be Hera flying out of the tunnel.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  18. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    It was okay. Better than much of Season 3, but below HoF, Imp. Supercommandos, and Visions.

Saw remains a severely underutilized and developed character imo. We're supposed to be really excited that he showed up but...why? All he did was shoot up some droids on Onderon. Tons of characters did that. I really want to see what makes him such a big deal, especially since Whitaker has been great as him. Hopefully he has more of an impact later in the show.

Sabine and the jetpack scene was great, love seeing her gradual build to the Mandalore arc. Would've been nice to see the Jump Troopers be a bit more menacing. "She's a Mandalorian/They're Jedi/Plot armor" is starting to wear thin as an excuse and Stormtroopers are supposed to be fairly elite. would like to see that eliteness sometime.

I'm enjoying Kanan's quiet buildup as well. He's no Skywalker, but he's a great Jedi and a capable fighter in his own right, and I like how his attitude has grown from Season 1.

I won't lie, not a huge Ezra fan, but it would be nice to see him go ham a bit. Would've actually been kind of cool to see him and Sabine team up against the jumptroopers, as it seemed a bit...contrived for him to just stand her and let her do all the work.

Very disappointed at the lack of overall impact by the end of the episode though. As with many in season 3, I'm left with the feeling of "what actually changed/was affected by this"?

Still, pretty fun.

ARC_RC-7567 and V-2 like this.
  19. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

There is no such thing as "too much TCW".
    Like on Agamar, the crew of the "Ghost" needed Rex on Geonosis. Why have an expert on Clone Wars era battlegrounds if you are not gonna use his wisdom and info?! It proved very usefull. Rex has a history with Geonosis and he has seen the bugs in action.
    The rebels are dealing with a character who originated in TCW. It is natural to bring up things that happened to him during that show and since then. He lost everything and it is a nice connection to Ezra's history. Steela's death was not the only motivation for the Saw, but it was a main one. It just the same as the reason why Hera or Zeb are fighting the Empire.
    Having the epic battle droids was just icing on the cake, but it made sense. You have a story on a CIS factory world so why not have the somebody - that somebody being crucial to the plot - activate the droids and use them to protect himself and his mission. It connects nicely to TCW, it showcases the brilliance of the bugs in terms of creating/maintaining technology and the droids tie to another story that happens in a comic book series.
    The episode was a perfect blend of the entire franchise, but I am sure you will disagree with me, anakinfansince1983, since you gave the episode a 5.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I gave it a 6 because IMO it was actually lacking the acknowledgement of a particular TCW character; so I guess you might say it wasn't enough TCW for me.

21. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I liked it and thought it did a good job of showing the complexity of the rebellion and seeing a TCW character is always cool while summarizing his history. I was glad Saw didn't kill Klick-klack and destroy the egg as well. For a while there I was worried! I think a lot of that goes to Ezra's credit as well. Ezra isn't totally lost tight now IMO.

As for Sabine I like seeing her and have grown to like her more and more over the seasons. I say bring on more Sabine!

10/10