main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.16:"Legacy of Mandalore" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Feb 18, 2017.

?

Grade The Episode

Poll closed Feb 25, 2017.
  1. 10

25.7%
  2. 9

31.4%
  3. 8

24.3%
  4. 7

10.0%
  5. 6

2.9%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    10/10 - 2 great episodes in a row! Interested to see how the show handles Sabine going forward.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I gave it a 5. It was too gimmicky, with predictable formula chopped into a fast paced twenty whatever minutes . The acting and action was generally good but still victim of small budget and typical bad Hollywood stuff. Ezra and Kanan being there with really lame or pretentious dialogue and roles served to take away from the plot. If they were gonna be there, then either one or both of them could've had better roles and dialogue. Rau was also fell into the more useless area as well, he's mainly there to rescue the Jedi in the nick of time and they're there to ensure Sabine gets another lightsaber for the duel, which unlike the Maul vs Vizsla was not intentional.

I find it utterly ridiculous Rau hiding in the shuttle and then just sneaking around the area and nobody detecting him either outside or inside as he just spies(with his helmet) and then breaks into or walks into the "stronghold" decked out in all day bright colored bulky armor. Like this "stronghold" has no security measures and the Mando helmets of the Wren's are just reduced to cosplay junk.

Why did Saxon even bother needing the Wren's around for so long, most her men had mixed loyalties or just a small band of grunts that Rau got past easily alone. Saxon could've went in there himself the same way or sent an assassin or just wiped them out like the Protectors any time they needed which by this episode he basically attempts to do anyhow. I don't get the sense of him needing them around, as apparently he didnt, as in the episode he just gets the "reason" to finish them off by himself with a few of his own guys. Its odd ballish stuff.

Darth Chuck Norris and JH24 like this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    10/10

That was amazing.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    8/10
    Solid. Significant plot events! Pay-off for time invested in character!

However, I cannot bring myself to enjoy the Mandalore stuff that much. Sharing is caring, but I really don't care for the Mandalore sub plot in TCW or Rebels. Mandalore was a nice backdrop for the (silly) Maul story, and a convenience to have had Obiwan's old flame being the Grand Duchess or whatever, but I don't see any benefit in highlighting it any more. It's a planet of Boba Fetts, for pity's sake.

Anyway, /Mandalorant.

I think it's good to shrink the Ghost crew since the show has grown quite an ensemble recently, and Captain Rex in particular seems to have all her military skills covered (and then some). She's obviously coming back to the plot later, as writers don't tend to invest that much in a character just to have them walk away halfway through the story. DF especially.

I thought Ezra and Kanan were written oddly in this episode... I also thought that Ezra's slightly complex friendship with Sabine was badly underplayed, even ignored in their goodbye scene. A bit like the lack of interaction between Chewie and Leia after the big battle in TFA, if you see what I mean, it stuck out as a missed opportunity. Emotionally anachronistic, for want of a specific term.

JH24 and fett 4 like this.
  5. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'm really enjoying their development of Sabine and makes me only more interested to see what SW will so w/her. It was an AWESOME episode though, esp. when Sabine beat Gar. I was surprised how it ended however. So when will we next see Sabine?

10/10

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    My best guess is the season finale, and/or just before. If it's a 'Mandos to the rescue' scenario in the finale, that might need one more Mando-centric story to set it up.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    10/10 for me! I'm saddened by Sabine staying behind but also love it, showing they will do things to these characters and won't keep them together because "kids show". Saxon's death was done well, IMO. People are saying they killed him off just to kill a bad guy, but his death was a necessary catalyst for the Mandalore story, as was stated numerous times. I think he ultimately served his purpose, as well. In that situation there was no choice but for him to die. Really curious how his title of Emperor's Hand will play out, too. Will Palpatine hear of his death and put more of a focus on exterminating clan Wren? Her goodbye to Kanan and Ezra was also touching. Although I think it'd have been hilarious if she'd given Ezra a little kiss on the cheek and he just stumbles and laughs idiotically. Would've been a cool send off for the two for the time being, and possibly hint at something more in the future?

8. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    I give it a 9/10.

I have been awestruck by the animation and the music the past several episodes. The environment(snow, trees, ice), the Wren House, and the mini details such as the sparks when two lightsabers were buzzing against each other were very well done!

I'm loving all the Mandalorian episodes so far. The Mandalore arc in TCW was one of my favorites ones, so I can't wait to see more Mandalorian episodes.

It's gonna be tough seeing Sabine leave the Ghost crew for awhile. She has become one of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe. I look forward to seeing more of her and her character development in the future. It'd also be cool to learn more in-depth about her relationship between her mother, father, and her brother.

Like other posters have said before, there were times when Ezra would speak, I'd also say "Ezra shut up!" I cracked up when he started talking to Tristan, and Tristan just looked at him like who is this guy?

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They played that really well and damn you couldn't have said that you weren't surprised if it did happen. Cudos Filoni & Co

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It's so good to have a new episode. This is a strong one, with a good amount of tension and a nice back-and-forth dynamic between Sabine and her immediate family. I think it also builds well on, and calls back to, earlier entries.

Following from Protector of Concord Dawn, the rebels have a built-in backup to the more diplomatic approach (incidentally, I was worried about Rau here). And as in the former episode, the Mandalorian audience doesn't believe in the rebellion's viability. From Imperial Supercommandos, it's established that doing right by Saxon is no guarantee of safety. There are a couple of reminders of TCW, too, in the throne room design and the Mando vs. Mando action in that setting.

The duel is awesome, and I like that the way Sabine's training (e.g. the forms) factors in is very matter-of-fact. And speaking of setting, the ice cracking could represent the status quo of Mandalore. Sabine staying on Krownest got me a little emotional, especially with her musical motif swelling. I'll miss her, but I like the turn of events.

9/10

11. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    7/10. It was fine. Not as great or as exciting or as moving as Trials of the Darksaber, but it introduced some compelling new characters and had some good action and great environment design. And finally getting Mando'a into the show was great.

Not quite enough 'umph' though. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rebels would really benefit from a longer episode runtime or have more episodes dedicated to each story. It always feels like things are shallow simply because there isn't enough time to commit to both good storytelling and great action, and things just end up a sort of mushy, disappointing in-between. I want the show to do well and I want to love it, but I feel like things have been off-kilter this season.

Kaitan ISB021 and JH24 like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought the Mandalore stuff was OK. I hate Sabine though (don't hate! Just my opinion) so that knocks it down at least 5 points. 4/10

13. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    8/10

One of the best episodes of the show. Sabine is one of my favorite Star Wars characters so it was really nice to have a plot about her and where she came from. The music in this episode, and the last, were possibly the best of the series so far.

14. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    7/10. I thought it was solid, but I also expected more emotional payoff after the excellent "Trials of the Darksaber," which was, in my opinion, more emotionally resonant.

15. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    There was a lot of meat in this episode. Lots of good background and conflict for Sabine. I guess I was surprised that she stayed with her family in the end, leaving the Ghost crew. But after the episode, I don't think she could have done anything else, especially after what she found out about her father and after her mother came through in the end.

Will there be more departures this season? With Sabine leaving (though she can come back to visit), I feel like anything could happen now.

16. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    A decent episode with plenty of action, the only problem for me is that it continues the problem where bad guys seem to be only characters that kick the bucket in Rebels which is incredibly silly.

I like how we are getting to see all of these different Mando Clans and how we are continuing to see more Mandos with unique armor, it's good the writers have been getting more creative with them over time, I remember when they first appeared in S2 aside from Pre Vizsla they were nothing more than a load of Jango Fett Clones.

The only good thing about Gar Saxons clichéd death is it means, there is no order anymore and a lot of people will be fighting to rule Mandalore. I will be interested to see Bo Katans role as she is set to appear this season, maybe the Mandos are the surprise ally the Rebels get in the S3 finale?

I'm glad Sabine's mother didn't turn out to be Rook Kast, that would have felt too forced. However it would be nice to see Rook Kast on Rebels, maybe she could try to take back Mandalore in the name of the Empire.

17. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Not as deep or nuanced as the previous episode, but still a great one. It was a solid continuation of Sabine's story and I liked the plot and the dramatic elements; I liked the setting of the snowy forest planet Krownest, the scenes of her and her family (her brother Tristan and mother Ursa) were great, the action was good (a great shootout and a neat duel between Sabine and Gar Saxon, whom got a strangely fitting end by going out like a punk) & the final scene of Sabine deciding to stay with her clan and Fenn Rau & saying goodbye to her friends Kanan, Ezra and Chopper whom all head back to the Rebel base was quite emotional.

Overall, not a perfect episode as there were some simplifications and whatnot (for one thing, Ezra being chatty and awkward didn't really fit the overall tone) but it had a lot of things I liked and was a good new chapter of Sabine's ongoing story (and the closing one of her embracing her fate); I wonder where they will take it next now that she is back with her family (and I wonder how her departure will affect Ghost crew). Anyway, another great and enjoyable episode.

9/10

Kaitan ISB021 likes this.
  18. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I think they missed the opportunity for Ezra to be more obviously jealous of Tristan/protective of Sabine until he realized he was Sabine's brother. But they seem to have dropped the Ezra-crush angle, at least for the moment.

V-2 likes this.