main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.19: "Double Agent Droid" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 18, 2017.
  1. 10

3.4%
  2. 9

6.7%
  3. 8

27.0%
  4. 7

19.1%
  5. 6

9.0%
  6. 5

11.2%
  7. 4

4.5%
  8. 3

4.5%
  9. 2

3.4%
  10. 1

11.2%
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    A fun and funny droid-centric episode (it was sort of an equivalent to TCW's 'Mercy Mission' and 'Nomad Droids'). I really liked AP-5 as the main character and he had some fun interactions with both Chopper and Wedge (what an mismatched trio they were) and the plot about Chopper getting hacked by the Empire on a mission was a good one which led to some interesting situations and had several funny moments (especially when it concerns AP-5 who got a lot of good moments here).

The Imperial surveillance team were interesting villains; we are used to seeing Imperial officers, stormtroopers and TIE pilots so these surveillance technicians as the bad guys was something new and them using the hacked Chopper to take the gang hostage on the Ghost on route to the Rebel base led to some nice and fairly intense stuff (and Hera overloading Chopper's hacked signal to permanently put the Imperial surveillance ship out of business was over the top but pretty sweet). AP-5 drifting around in space while hallucinating and singing before being gobbled up by the Ghost was one of the most bizarre scenes yet (and yes, I thought it was great).

Overall, I thought it was surprisingly good; I understand why not a lot of folks like it since they want something more relevant and serious, but I just enjoyed this one a lot and think it's far from being a bad episode. Sometimes a more simple and fun episode like this is needed and I think this was the right time.

8/10

Kaitan ISB021 and V-2 like this.
  2. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    Unfortunately, I didn't get around to watching this until after the poll closed, but here is my review:

+ I love AP-5 as a droid. He's not as awesome as K-S2O, but he sure does beat TCW C-3PO imho. His humor really cracks me up.
    + The episode was overall so weird that it made me laugh. At the end of episode, I was definitely glad I watched it.
    + Chopper airborne with two blaster pistols versus AP-5 with blocking with a shield while working on the ship was pretty fun to watch.
    + Hera's 'don't mess with my droid' thing was cool.
    + I liked seeing Wedge again.
    + I laughed so hard at the end of the episode when AP-5 found peace in space and then they picked him up. I can't believe some people disliked that part.

- Some plot holes. Again, no big deal. The entire Star Wars saga has plot holes. You can either focus on them, ignore them, or do what I do and come up with some crazy explanation for them (which I actually somewhat enjoy doing, lol).
    - Wedge was a bit unimpressive overall. No big deal though, he is just a kid at this point. (-0.5 points)
    - It was a little frustrating to see the Idiot Empire get utterly thwarted by the rebels again. It makes you wonder, if the rebels are that lucky and the Empire is that dumb, why did it take the Rebels so long to win? It even takes away from the whole underdogs pulling for an unbelievable one-in-a-million victory against the far superior Empire theme that is present in ANH and RotJ. To be fair, though, this is an episode on a kids show on Disney XD, not a new Star Wars movie or anything. (-1 point)
    - Glasses. I thought the Imperial spy/listening post ship thing was actually kind of cool, but really, glasses? That was one thing I really saw no need for. Why would you randomly make glasses canon when they are not referenced anywhere else in canon except for a brief usage of sort-of glasses by Nuvo Vindi? Imho, it takes away from the otherworldliness of Star Wars. What's next, cars? Iphones? I'm exaggerating, obviously, but I still didn't like the glasses. :-B:confused: (-1.5 points)

Overall: (7/10)

Kaitan ISB021 likes this.
  3. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    I know this episode has gotten a lot of flack for being "filler" and "cheesy" - and I kind of agree in a way.

But I want to give the Rebels team credit for having the guts to try something different. So often people confuse "I want it to feel like Star Wars" with "give me Star Wars the only way I've ever known it".
    Sometimes the franchise needs to branch out and try new things (yes, even droid musicals) to stay fresh and unpredictable. If every bit of Star Wars media you see needs to FEEL LIKE STAR WARS (aka: exact tone, pacing and story points from the original trilogy) then we'll just end up with a stale franchise in the end.

In my opinion they may have failed in this instance - but damn it makes me excited that they are trying different things. A New Hope is great - but c'mon now...

TheMechanical0ne likes this.
  4. Save The Children

Save The Children Jedi Padawan

Oct 20, 2014

Every episode gets 10s around here.

AP5 is not a droid, it's a man in a tin suit. They use the same mannerisms and tone changes for a droid as they do for the other characters. But it's a very sophisticated droid I hear you say? It was narrating the entire rebel plan out loud as it walked through the base.....

As for reversing the signal and blowing the ship up, yikes. I would love to have been in the room when they decided this was the best way to solve the problem. They must have been dead set clueless.