main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.20: "Twin Suns" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 25, 2017.
  1. 10

26.8%
  2. 9

27.5%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

2.9%
  5. 6

9.4%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1

6.5%
  1. Lord Thrawn

Lord Thrawn Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2017
    I really wanted to love this episode, but i ended up despising it.
    First of all who in the right mind set would take an episode that's suposed to be Maul's last and fill 90% of it with Ezra? He just doesn't belong here. At no point i cared about him. He did nothing. Literally nothing. He just walks around in the desert and then Obi Wan tells him to leave. That's it. Maul got sidelined by a character that does nothing. So this means that nearly 90% of Maul's final story is filler. What an insult.
    And the duel. My God that was dissapointing. I am sorry but that was an insult to Maul. A Jedi padawan would have lasted longer.
    And about the whole "in real life duels between good swordsmen are short" thing, really? we are bringing real life logic into a universe that has lightsabers?
    If they were going with minimalism (witch i am not a fan of) they shouln't have given it such a huge build up. They basically trolled us.
    I really hope Zero Hour is good because otherwise i am done with rebels.
    1/10 for me.

fett 4, Erkan12, Canyon D and 3 others like this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I gave it 8 for all the scenes with Obi-Wan, the duel and the nostalgic ending. It could have been 10 with little less Ezra Bridger and little better writing.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    2/10, another episode about Ezra that just proves he hasnt evolved or changed as a character since season 1, oh and Maul died after three lines, thanks filoni?

fett 4 and Erkan12 like this.
  4. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Give it an 8/10. The graphics and details on the surrounding environment and characters looked superb. I loved the tension between Obi-Wan and Maul after they drew out their lightsabers. And the ending with Obi-Wan riding towards the Lars homestead, Aunt Beru calling out Luke's name, and the binary sunset theme playing in the background and in the credits. I wish there was more dialogue between Obi-Wan and Maul though.

Also can't wait to see in the future how Ezra's encounter with Obi-Wan helped changed his obsession from destroying the Sith, to remaining with the Ghost Crew and continuing to support the Rebellion.

As for Maul, what an end he had. He was so incensed with his hate for Obi-Wan that not until he was dying in Obi-Wan arms did he realize that both him and Obi-Wan's true enemy was Sidious all along. It was Sidious that destroyed both their worlds, and it seemed he died in peace knowing that Obi-Wan was protecting the one who would eventually be the key to the Sith's destruction.

V-2 likes this.
  5. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I'm not ashamed to say that I wept a little at the end of this episode.

V-2 likes this.
  6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm giving this as 10/10. I know that everyone is not going to happy with Ezra having contact with Kenobi or the decisiveness of Kenobi and Maul's duel, but I really liked this one. Especially after last week's episode where I was banging my head against the wall asking "WHY?!?!?!? Why give us this?!"

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    1 / 10 = killing maul like this ... Lucas would never let that happen

8. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Lucas's version of Maul, 1999-2011:

[​IMG]

bdh1138, V-2 and jabberwalkie like this.
  9. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

I am fine with that, because Kenobi cheap-shotted him when Maul thought that Kenobi was unarmed in that pit, and happened after a very long duels. If they would kill him in a same way after a prolonged duel and then a cheap-shot, it would be more fitting.

Lucas never made the same thing in TCW. Maul was a better character back then.

10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I liked it a lot. I think the trailer was misleading as well but won't hold that against it. I liked the whole Tatooine sequence, just seeing it and being reminded how desolate it was was cool. Then Ezra being attacked by Tusken Raiders, how awesome was that? And finally OB-WAN AHHHH! Seeing him again was SO sweet. The fight w/Maul was rather short, but the tension before...man. I believe the "us" as well meant the Sith, that Luke would be the answer to defeating them, Sidious, etc. I loved the end w/Beru calling for Luke and the ANH music ending it.

10/10

V-2 likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Other fans talk about the wasted potential of Maul, but I think leaving such as character dead after only one film is the definition of wasted potential. His survival was a stretch of the imagination, but it's something that ultimately worked out well for the character and the franchise IMO.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    NO! NO! NO! NO!
    [​IMG]

Bringing Maul back from the dead was a daft stunt. His stories were fun but the anachronistic retcon hurt the integrity of the saga and the franchise, imho.

13. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    9/10

They backed themselves into a corner by making it a single episode. However, its still the best episode of the series by far. It's the only episode since season one that I've managed to watch more than twice.

Loved the visuals, and the last 5 minutes are the best bit of Star Wars TV ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stymi, bergs1975 and V-2 like this.
  14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'm actually one of the biggest Ezra haters around here and I actually liked his involvement in this one.

That said, most of the episode is Ezra getting physically and mentally tormented, but still

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Agree with this.

This episode gets a thumbs down from me.

Too slow to start. Wasted too much time desert wandering. And rather than concluding Maul's vengeance against the Sith established in S2 of Rebels, they retread his hatred of Obi-Wan which has no place at this point.

I had asked Pablo what had changed that Maul would just drop his plots against the Sith and he responded that the change was because he learned Obi-Wan was alive. After that I figured the creators were of the mind set that Maul's hatred for Obi-Wan trumps all, when Maul articulated his hatred for Sidious so eloquently in S2. It was a complete regression of the character and an awful progression of the story, IMO.

As far as I cared, Maul's business with Obi-Wan was concluded but he had unfinished business with the Sith. To have him die in S2 against Vader would have been far more satisfying for me.

The fight itself was a huge letdown as the quick realistic nature of it goes against expectations set by virtually every single other lightsaber duel.

There obviously was a lot of thought that went into it. For instance, Obi-Wan changes his stance from the one he used throughout TCW to the one Qui-Gon used, and Maul went for the move he used against Qui-Gon. So the implication may have been that Obi-Wan​ intentionally baited Maul into overconfidence, anticipating his move. But that doesn't make it much better for me.

Also, it again reflects Dave's personal views of the OT, which I can't disagree with more.

In the podcast interviews he did throughout TCW, on a couple occasions he had stated that in his opinion Obi-Wan and Yoda did not want Luke to kill Vader, but that they couldn't tell him that and so guided him unknowingly.

I cannot say how much that analysis flies in the face of what Lucas had shown in the OT and how antithetical it is to the theme of SW in general. But he keeps trudging through, making Rebels a vessel for his personal theory.

For instance, we see Yoda scoff at Ezra wanting to fight and says that when the Jedi fought, the Dark Side grew. And yet, Obi-Wan tells Luke that if he cannot kill Vader, then Palpatine wins...

In the films both Obi-Wan and Yoda are insistent that once down the Dark Side, there is no coming back, yet Filoni says that Obi-Wan and Yoda want Anakin redeemed?

Here Maul clearly wants to kill Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan tells Yoda he doesn't intend to destroy him. Well, what the hell? That's inconsistent with Obi-Wan telling Luke he needs to be able to kill Vader.

And then despite Obi-Wan insisting he doesn't intend to kill Maul. Once Maul senses that Obi-Wan is protecting someone, that quickly changes.

Funny how much that mirrors ROTJ. Luke doesn't want to fight, but Vader senses Leia and that changes, yet Dave wants me to think it's OK here because he's protecting something bigger than himself when Luke was too?

Kind of a sloppy parallel that I don't think Dave saw, but one that I don't feel fits.

I feel like if he wanted to match the OT, Obi-Wan should have had no qualms about killing Maul, to mesh better with what Yoda and Obi-Wan say to Luke.

Instead Dave persists with this weird view of his that doesn't mesh well because IMO it's not grounded in anything said or shown in the OT.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

16. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015

While I do think the scenes with Ezra weren't needed and that we should've spent a bit more time on Maul (since it was his last episode and all), the ending made it all worth it. Originally I thought it was just a little disappointing but the confrontation has so much thought put into it that it deserves this score.

silvereyed likes this.
  17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    An okay episode. The CGI was beautiful to look at with the textures of the sand/rocks, I enjoyed seeing Obi-Wan again and the voice was pretty spot on however I felt like Maul got the short straw in the episode. The character was brought back but wasted. The duel was anti-climatic, I was expecting a lot more. Most of the episode was about Ezra who I'm really getting tired of.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I think you're giving Lucas a little too much praise for TCW Maul, and that praise should probably be more directed towards Filoni. Meeko has a point, and you just brushed it aside. Lucas hardly gave Maul any characterization in TPM before he was cut down. Believe it or not, I found that the short duel and short discussion afterwards actually enhanced their relationship. A long duel just for the sake of being a long duel doesn't serve much purpose.

V-2 likes this.
  19. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Shocked they spent this HUGE plot point's conclusion on Ezra. Or perhaps not shocked but stunned. The best part of Rebels has proven to be the characters outside Phoenix Squadron (Maul, Thrawn, Kallus, Vader, Ahsoka).

As a young(ish) Star Wars fan, I have been defending of Ezra's arc but he's simply annoying at this point. It's not completely his fault, it's the writers. He gets soooo much screen time --and like most of his crew-- is not developing and keeps making the same mistakes. Don't even get me started on Kanan :(, who I fell in love with after reading A New Dawn.

I gave the episode a 5.

Moments with Kenobi/Maul = 10
    Moments with Ezra/Chopper (ugh!!) = 0

When Chopper powered down, I hoped it was his end. He bugs me. He could have bit the dust last episode, too. This was a big, big, big episode and Maul's conclusion (as spoiled so generously by Star Wars social media) and it felt tacked on. They tacked on Ben Kenobi! Stunning.

I was never for Maul's return but they made him a viable character. He deserved a better fater..err, death.

Erkan12 likes this.
  20. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I cried like a little baby. Maul's final words and Luke's appearance were just too much for me.

V-2 likes this.
  21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I gave it a 7. The stuff between Maul and Kenobi was great. But there just wasn't enough of it. This episode should have been about them and not about Ezra and Chopper getting lost in the desert.

Ezra continues to be the least interesting character in his own show, I wish he would go away so he can stop taking screen time away from the actually interesting members of the cast.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  22. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    See I dont usually grade things (At least on the 1-10 range. I have done it once on the British A-Level grades) but even if I did...I just don't know what to put down.

23. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999

I'm conflicted. His appearances in The Clone Wars and Rebels were pretty cool, but I just can't past him surviving his apparent death from TPM. It doesn't make any sense at all, even within the weird Star Wars universe and its rules.

V-2 likes this.
  24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That's conflict that I think most SW fans have.

It makes sense OOU as a marketing stunt, and in terms of GL's tendency to tinker with continuity after the fact, and as a kind of late apology for perceived shortcomings and missed opportunities. In-universe it makes less than no sense but his stories were always ones worth watching.

Anyway, I love the idea of spider-robot Han secretly surviving the ST. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs likes this.
  25. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    9/10

What stops this rating from getting anything higher is how the lightsaber fight turned out. Seriously, Maul can survive getting cut in half but one sweep of Kenobi's saber kills him instantly?