main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.20: "Twin Suns" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 25, 2017.
  1. 10

26.8%
  2. 9

27.5%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

2.9%
  5. 6

9.4%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1

6.5%
  1. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    10/10 - very much enjoyed it from beginning to end. I don't think anybody expected a duel that quick, but in retrospect, it works, at least for me.

V-2 likes this.
  2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Why tf was Filoni in this episode? He didn't do ****. Ezra should've been alone.

3. CloneWarsFan01

CloneWarsFan01 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2015
    10/10. Dave Filoni once again makes another well-paced story for Star Wars canon and if you watch this week's Rebels Recon here (), you get a better understanding of why he had this episode be what it was.

SilentGuy66 and V-2 like this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 9/10. This was one of those episodes that are worthy of rewatching. Yeah, I'm sure many were disappointed by the 30 second duel between Maul and Kenobi, but in reality how much more could you ask for? Honestly, I thought Maul's grudge with Kenobi ended when he slayed Satine. He could've easily dispatched of Kenobi right then and there if he wanted to. Of course the Lars homestead at the end ended just as any SW fan would've wanted it to. If Kenobi doesn't appear on Rebels anymore, we'd all be satisfied IMO.

Snafu55, V-2 and Guidman like this.
  5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Kenobi was cool as can be.
    Ezra's still dumb.
    Maul's still dead.

6. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I give it an 8.

Far, far too much of this episode was dedicated to Ezra. But the last few minutes of the episode alone made it among one of my favourite moments.

I know the Maul fans in particular will have hated this episode, but I thought the way they handled this duel was very fitting. Obi-Wan developed beyond what he was, whereas Maul was always stuck in the past. Kenobi became more powerful than he could possibly imagine.

SilentGuy66, Mia Mesharad and Twain like this.
  7. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    We can finally move on!

All in all, I thought this was one of the better episodes of Season 3, and I am not a huge Maul fan. Quite the opposite really. The episode had great atmosphere, great environment design and some really interesting and creative camera angles. I'm not bothered by the short duel between Maul and Kenobi, and after giving it some time I feel it's appropriate that he ended this way, almost full circle. I thought it was a mistake resurrecting Maul to begin with, but given everything that's happened with the character there was really no other way his story could be resolved. It was a simple, intimate ending for the character. Despite my antipathy towards him, I feel I am going to miss the horned bugger.

8/10

8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel much the same way. Maul's return in TCW was a stupid stunt in the first place, but his stories have always had that extra kick, and though I will actually miss him now he's gone, this was a mercy killing benefiting the character, the fans, and the entire franchise's credibility. It was tastefully done, too.

I thought the duel was a good length. The to and fro glancing was maybe 3 or 4 repetitions too many, so if anything it was a second or two too long. ;)

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  9. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    ...Twin Suns...
    + Great samurai-like final duel
    + Maul death similar to Qui-Gon and they both talk about Chosen One
    + Old Wound mention
    - Ezra and Chopper have more screen time than Maul and Obi Wan combine...
    - usual rush plot (especially after dumb droid filler last week..)
    ... 8\10...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SilentGuy66 and Son of a Bith like this.
  10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I give it a 6.
    -The duel was anticlimactic. I don't mind a short duel, but give us something that could at least be called a duel.
    -Ezras presence was essentially useless (as usual), the entire focus should have been on Maul and Kenobi, but instead this episode wastes precious time on Ezra fumbling around in an A-Wing. Somebody care to explain to my why somebody thought it would be a good idea for the series to be formatted this way, again?
    -Ezra knows Kenobi is on Tatooine, how? And how does he know where it is? This is a huge plothole. Speaking of holes, when did the rebels speak with Bail Organa about Kenobi? I feel like we missed an entire episode somewhere. This further adds to my question of why the crew insist on dinky little 22 minute episodes. This story needed a heck of a lot more than 20 minutes to be told.
    -Why was Kenobi not surprised to see Ezra? Does he make a habit of finding trained Jedi apprentices out in the desert? Also, does he keep his ear to the ground out there in the middle of nowhere? He seemed unphased by all of it, especially the part about a major declared Rebel Alliance against the Empire.
    -Would it have killed them to have actually given us a close up on young Luke? I wish Disney weren't such tightwads with the budget.
    -I will say that the animation and voice work with Obi-Wan were extremely well done.

11. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Well then we needed someone who could actually compete with someone on the Kenobi level for a longer fight. ;)

Maul could duel with Vader... he couldn't even keep up with Old Ben. [face_laugh]

12. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    RIP Darth Maul. You never should've been brought back in the first place (the absurdity of him surviving getting cut in half and falling down a long shaft is at the same level of, say, Han Solo somehow surviving TFA).

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  13. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    5/10
    Pointless story, messy narrative, confusing character focus, great dual choreography, still anticlimatic – samurai duel context is missing. Great visuals and great voice-acting though.
    Now I shall mourn the wasted potential of Maul.

JH24 and fett 4 like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

You summed up all the good and bad points I felt about the episode for me as well. Including the score which is fair and which my original score was not

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    9/10

Kenobi is my favourite character and although he had little screentime (this is the Ezra show after all) he was very effective and I'm thankful Filoni didn't chose to go the contrived route and keep Maul alive for a duel against Vader.

Having said that, I actually believe Maul's spirit will appear in the finale and haunt Ezra/ convert him to the dark side. Yes I know Maul is a Sith and therefore can't survive past death but I can already imagine Filoni explaining "Well, Maul wasn't a Sith anymore at that point so he had it in him to survive...."

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Disappointing episode

17. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
  18. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016

Actually, Maul never wanted to kill Obi-wan, he wanted to die a hero's death at his hands.

19. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    No, he wanted to kill him, Obi Wan is just too strong at this point.
    10/10
    Amazing episode, the ending was just perfect.
    I think they did justice to Obi Wan and Maul, and i say that as a huge fan of both.

V-2 and CloneofVader like this.
  20. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016

I disagree. This is Obi Wan who didn't want to kill Maul.

From Filoni interview:

I felt strongly Obi-Wan, if he could help it, would really rather not kill Darth Maul. Obi-Wan is at a point, in my mind, where he’s become rather enlightened. He’s been in the desert discovering who he is, really evolving as a character. He’s not that young brash kid that went into a fight with Maul out of anger for the fact his master was killed. It can’t be that same situation this is so many years later. Maul, for his part, is pretty much hung up on that exact moment. That’s where his life went wrong. He can’t let it go.”

This idea is that Obi-Wan is willing to forgive this person who is so cruel and terrible because he feels pity for him. To his dying breath Maul is hoping there will be some revenge exacted upon his enemies. And in my mind, Obi-Wan expresses sadness there because that means that Maul has never grown and will never be released from his suffering. So I felt that moment had to be beyond a lightsaber fight and had to be more an expression of their characters.”

Maul tries to get Obi-Wan with a very similar move as he gets Qui-Gon. Which is he blocks and uses the blunt of his hilt to smack Qui-Gon in the face. So I had Maul try to do the same thing to Obi-Wan but again, to show growth, Obi-Wan is ready for that and slices it right in half. That slicing of the lightsaber hilt is to represent Maul being sliced.

So Maul was defeated not because he wanted to die or because he was tired like some Maul fans speculated but because he lived in the past . His desire for revenge forever sealed his fate.

V-2 likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    10/10 for me this was the second time I can recall in recent years of a very short light saber duel

22. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I see the typical response around here is again "Too much time spent on primary character, not enough on side villain and one-shot." :rolleyes:

9/1. Awesome episode, and great ending.

V-2 likes this.
  23. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I appreciate knowing the symbolism of the 'living in the past' part to this confrontation. I really liked wise Obi-Wan; he was really treated well in both the episode itself and this explanation. Obi-Wan has always been my favorite character, and his calm maturity when interacting with the other characters is a lot of what makes the end memorable. It felt much like Old Wounds, which I hadn't thought was possible after Maul's character growth in TCW / Son of Dathomir / Rebels S2 finale. On Dathomir Maul was likewise living in the past, surrounded by relics and ghosts. These should have reminded him of his defeat to Sidious, but, even there, there was Obi-Wan's name, writ large, on the wall. I wonder why he would turn back from placing blame for the wreckage of his life, correctly, with Sidious. It makes complete sense to me that Maul was doomed to die, unhappy, without being able to let go of his hate and desire for revenge. It's the never-growing part that confuses me. It looks more like Maul grew, then regressed. Was the goal to confront Obi-Wan always there, as a secondary objective he really meant to do before he died? Was it his misinterpretation of the holocron that convinced him he should mentally go back to the time of this first loss, rather than dwelling on, say, the loss of his family? It is what usually happens when people in fiction get this kind of insight supernaturally; they end up screwing their lives up more.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A reminder that this is the grading/review thread, not the discussion thread. kthxbai

25. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009

The Rex moment was a nice touch
    Loved Protective Obi-Wan. The moment Luke was threatened that was it for him.
    Maul's last words with Obi-Wan made the ep for me. It gave us great inside to both character's minds.
    The ending. Everything about it from Aunt Beru to Obi-Wan watching. Hearing Luke's and the Force theme brought on a lot of emotion.

Not an Ezra fan, but he didn't bother me this ep. Also, what he went through drives home the fact that Tatooine is a rough place to live.

V-2 likes this.