main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 305 "Corruption"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Dec 23, 2010.

?

Grade the Episode - 305 "Corruption"

Poll closed Dec 23, 2010.
  1. 10

7.7%
  2. 9

1.9%
  3. 8

1.9%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

9.6%
  6. 5

13.5%
  7. 4

11.5%
  8. 3

9.6%
  9. 2

11.5%
  10. 1

32.7%
  1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Had no problems with this episode. Everyone complaining about Satine's image being tarnished by this episode, I think that was the point. Even the good aren't doing good anymore.

10/10

2. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Really, you found nothing inherently and fatally idiotic about Satine ordering the poison cache, physical evidence of the corruption in her government, burned? Not only that, she forces someone to do this on pain of prosecution. It makes the entire episode seem for nothing. And Satine is not portrayed as a fallen hero. Padme does not object and she is a lawmaker and one of the show's Wesleys.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This was perhaps the worst episode of any show in the history of television, even counting the Hasselhoff reality series........:p

None of it makes sense, from Satine having to tell the doctors to test the drinks(like they wouldn't think of that themselves), to Padme's entire role(good thing she was around to save the Mandalorian soldiers or the smugglers would have gotten away), to Satine playing action star running around the alleys of Cubecity, to that awesome ending where instead of securing the crime scene for investigation, Satine orders it burned to the ground.

The only thing that could retroactivly make this episode work is if Satine is actually aligned with Dooku and is actually bent of the destruction of her own people.

Too bad there isn't a zero on the poll.

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I'm so glad to finally see someone who give a 10 to one of these unpopular episodes come out and post about it.

I understand if you don't agree with Satine's image being tarnished by this episode, but I would really like to understand how you figure this episode deserves a 10/10. A 10 means a perfect episode, the epitome of what the Clone Wars can and should be. What is it about this episode that makes it, for you, the perfect Star Wars adventure? Cause for me a 10 doesn't mean that I just have "no problems" with an episode, it means I LOVE every single aspect of it, from the dialogue, to the plot, to the design, to the music, to the action. It means it couldn't possibly be any better.

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I give tens based on the topic an episode tackles and how it is handled. To me, Corruption covered an important issue in real-life politics in a way that is easy to understand - one of the reasons I loved Episode III instantaneously. Last season's Mandalore trilogy did this very well, but I feel this one was a step in the right direction. Not to mention the refreshing focus on two of the major female characters not only doing their jobs, but being passionate and being action heroes. The scenery was also stunning, and the costumes were noteworthy.

The following episode "Academy" was boring to me, and seemed tacked-on. The latest one "Pursuit of Peace" I think it was called, the one with the speederbike chase, the senator muggings, and the heavy-handed speech, would be another political episode that I just don't appreciate.

The politics are far more important to me than the bam-biff-pow action stuff with ships in space. The episode with the big spider-lookin Separatist general might be someone else's cup of tea, but not mine. Personally, I'd like to know who even liked that one.

6. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Fair enough. To each his own, indeed.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I would honestly give this episode less than a 1 if I could. Not because animation wasn't good. Or voice acting etc. But because the team can do better and should be held to a higher standard. And here, the most crucial of all elements in this show (the plot) was pitiful.

The concept of Padme and Satine as friends and working together was very intriguing. Two women who both have had intimate relationships with jedi. Two rulers (1 former), Two women who desire peace and fight against corruption. Essentially they should be able to lean on each other. They should be able to work together to better the galaxy and their people. But while the concept is good, the writing and the plot are not.

Heroes on Both Sides is a better illustration of the above idea minus the jedi relationship part.

What drives this down to less than a 1 for me is how the writing and the plot impacted not only Satine's character but Padme's as well. Satine had been beautifully established in the Mando trilogy as a steadfast pacifist. And yet, we see her committing several acts that fly directly in the face of her pacifist beliefs that she was previously willing to give her life for. She wouldn't shoot a man to save a ship full of people. But she's prepared to charge an official with conspiracy for not agreeing with her and demands evidence be burned to the ground. How did no one catch this drastic and unexplained change in character?

If Padme had called her on this, I might have been able to forgive this. But Padme is just as bad. She doesn't try to stop Satine and she certainly doesn't try to employ diplomacy. She employs aggressive negotiations instead.

And if the entire justification is because children were being poisoned, then that only makes me want to rate this episode even lower. Does Satine only take action when she physically sees children suffering? As long as they are faceless it is ok to be a pacifist then? So if a child had been taken hostage on board her ship, would she have shot the guy then? Yes she probably would have. Which would be the right thing to do in that instance. But here, in the presence of law officers and a Republic Senator, the Duchess of Mandalore disregards all thought and reason and makes you wonder what was going through her head and Padme's. I could have accepted her losing her composure- if only someone had snapped her back to reality.

Finally, the plot itself is so incredibly weak that the fact it resulted in damage to Satine's character really infuriates me. The best the writers can come up with is poisoned tea? And why tea? Tea on Mandalore is clearly like some type of energy drink. The very idea of poisoned tea takes me out of the show. There were so many many better ways to get the concept across than the route they chose compared to "Somebody's poisoned the water hole!" [face_plain]

8. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    In my opinion this was the only episode with no redeeming factor. All the other episodes had at least some elements going for them, but there was nothing worthwhile about this episode.

9. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Really? 'Cause I think the firefight in the end qualifies as a redeeming factor.

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Yes, but still, Satine's condonement of the fight irked me to bo end. Also, I didn't like the guarss to be able to deflect blasterfire like a Jedi.

11. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Those guards do the same deflecting in Voyage of Temptation. Also, someone suggested that the staffs they wield actually draw blaster fire to the staffs.

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'd still like to see some official explanation.

13. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'd never give it a 10/10... the plot is too weak for that.

But to me, the fact that Satine loses it is a redeeming factor for this episode. The point of the episode is that the even the good guys are being corrupted.

I just think they overdid it a little.

14. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Wow. It seems like TCW just delivered its own Shades of Gray (those fans of Trek: TNG TV will know what I'm talking about.

15. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    The firefight lost its credibiltiy to me when it was Padme that had to save the day with her Dirty Amidala antics. If Mandalorians security forces couldn't handle a handful of smugglers themsleves than they aren't good for much.

16. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    This episode and The Academy were the only two episodes out of the 55 so far which I grade an insufficient. Decided to re-watch both episodes for the first time since they came out and decided this one is slightly better than Academy: 5/10

17. imperial_buckethead

imperial_buckethead Jedi Knight

Nov 5, 2010
    1/10. Bad story, bad plot, bad dialogue, bad writing, bad characterizations, bad bad bad bad bad.

No offense to those that hold the opionion, but I think those saying that making Satine become corrupted herself was the point of this episode are giving the writers way too much credit. If they were really that clever, they would delivered a better story than "greedy nitwits accidentally poison tea and then get into a shootout with the authorities over it."

18. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I stand by my opinion that Satine being corrupted was the point of the episode. However, that still doesn't make it a good episode. It's a bad story, I totally agree.

19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    My only question to this is why the other characters, prominatly Padme, show no concern for her behavior? If we actually had scenes in the show backing up this theory I'd say "OK, thats a possibility." But we don't get that.

Padme seemingly approves of Satine's every move and that to me eliminates the possibility you suggest.

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, we do. Satine is threatening this guy with violence by saying her guards won't be so 'conversational', and Padme grabs her shoulder and exclaims her name.

Seems like you missed something then. Because Padme does protest. Only she doesn't protest the burning of the warehouse.

21. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    I voted 3/10 mainly because I can conceive a worse episode, but I sincerely hope I never have to see it. This episode was bad to the point that it actually made me seriously question my continued viewing of the show, but I decided to stick it out for the rest of the season. After seeing Hunt for Ziro, Heroes on both sides and now Nightsisters my faith in the show has lifted quite a bit. (Pursuit of Peace and Evil plans on the other hand...)

Pros: Um...

Cons: Dialogue, Plot, everything about Padme, no super commandos, etc.

22. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Sure but once Satine gets results with her methods I viewed Padme as accepting of them completely, while carrying onto the next scene and through the end of the episode.

Padme by merely taking part and not walking out, nevermind not verbally repremanding Satine, does damage to her own character.

23. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Well that's just a matter of personal interpretation.

Let's stick to the facts.

There are two instances where Satine goes 'overboard'. In one of these instances, Padme clearly shows concern for Satine's behaviour.

No matter how that is followed up, we're seeing Padme showing concern for her behaviour. So we actually have a scene that is backing up my theory. So, by your own words, you should be saying: "OK, that's a possibility." (That Satine is being corrupted)

You can't maintain that we don't have a scene where Padme is showing concern for behaviour. ;)

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I'd argue there are more than two scenes. Her running around playing Commando is a little overboard to me as well is her treatment of her court.

Again though, its a half hearted instance. Padme saying "Satine" once doesn't equal Padme standing up to her in a real way, or even really suggest Padme really felt anything was wrong beyond one fleeting instant. Padme could have simply concluded that Satine was playing "bad cop" to get what she wanted after her intial concerned reaction.

Sure, you found a scene to back you theory, that doesn't make it correct - nor am I required to view it as such.

Without seeing the fallout or conversations from the Episode bewtween Padme & Satine I have to assume there are none. Does it make sense, not at all, but its not the first time and is becoming something of a proud tradition in TCW.

Padme is in fact so concerned for Satine's mental stability that she offers Republic assets to further aid the Duchess in the next episode, an epsiode which goes out of its way even further to show how everyone around Satine is suspect.

I think your trying really hard to make something out of nothing. It's simply not a choose your own adventure. We're stuck within the confines of the plot and how the characters react as a whole to the events.

I'm just not buying what your selling, sorry.

25. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Hey, no problem. [face_peace]

This was posted in the series thread:

[face_beatup]

I guess we'll see how it all plays out!