main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 311 "Pursuit of Peace"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Dec 11, 2010.

?

Grade the Episode - 311 "Pursuit of Peace"

Poll closed Dec 11, 2010.
  1. 10

8.8%
  2. 9

1.8%
  3. 8

8.8%
  4. 7

19.3%
  5. 6

19.3%
  6. 5

14.0%
  7. 4

3.5%
  8. 3

10.5%
  9. 2

3.5%
  10. 1

10.5%
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    On a scale from 1 to 10, what score do you give this episode?

Please note this is NOT the episode discussion thread, so please limit the discussion to the grades and overall evaluation of the episode.

Grade average (58 votes): 5.58

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Gave it a 6. Not too bad, but could have been much better with the right focus. There were things which had the potential to be developed, like militarists who have genuine principles, but were unfortunately left in the cold. Still, I thought it was interesting to see the workings of how the senators behave. There was also Palpatine's great scene at the end.

I also note that, while the plot didn't connect very well with Senate Murders, it's actually not a bad character journey for Padme.
    She goes through idealism (Heroes on Both Sides), a period of doubt (first half of this ep), a rediscovery of her self-worth as a speaker (second half), and finally, this actually provides SOME material that might justify her private investigation into Onaconda's death: The death of a SECOND mentor that she was powerless to stop. ;)

Buuuut that's just me, probably. [face_laugh]

3. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I gave it an 8. This episode worked in a way that the other political episodes didn't. There was a real sense of suspense, even though you knew everything that was going to happen.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    4. I did not hate the episode. But I hated the loopholes in logic. Particularly the speech at the end. And almost everything Padme did in this one made me want to cringe.

Also, the point of the entire episode was mute after watching Senate Murders.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    6/10 - My rating is very affected by the excess of political episodes in a row.

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I initially rated this a 5/10, but that was because I was so upset at the off-screen death of Mina Bonteri - a missed opportunity if there ever was one. It's not a bad episode and Palpatine's speech makes up for a lot of the overly-drawn-out politics. 6/10.

7. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Padme makes no sense. Her thinking proscess is flawed.

How can she support cutting the military budget to save money on education and food supplies? What good is education if your world is swarming with battle droids and your family are slaves?

On a more positive note, Palpatine rules.

Please give us some Palpatine/Sidious centric episodes!

8. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Gave it a six. Not terrible, just not great. I would watch it again, but I'm not going out of my way to watch it either.

9. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    I disliked the episode for its focus on strawman peace politics. The utter lack of a principled militarist senator is very hard to believe, and don't tell me that all militarists are irredeemably evil and unprincipled, because the Republic army has been shown to be an inordinately principled bunch, while Grievous's forces have actually been shown committing war crimes (back in first season, trying to blow up a hospital base). It seems that Senate episodes are becoming sounding boards for Padme to voice her views without any compelling opposition. Because, really, when there's a wackjob like Grievous laying waste to Republic worlds, you would think Padme would have a little more foresight into the matter.

Anyway, my usual grade for strawman politics episodes is 1/10. This episode is no exception.

10. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    7. It was ok, but there was absolutely no suspense.

11. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Why is it that the pole didn't tally my vote?:confused: or possibly picked the wrong rating.

Gave it a 4...that was my intent anyway;I'm not sure why LOL. As horrible as was in regards to plot and what not, It wasn't infuriating upon viewing for some reason, inexplicable reason it was afterwards that I stated to flip out...A waste, unnessesary and an extremely poor attempt to "redeem" Padmé.:(

12. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I wouldn't mind the politics (i like politics) if they made sense!
    These episodes don't please anyone. The children are bored, and the adults are infuriated.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    5/10, not sure if it was a standalone if it would have given a better score.

Just not a good episode overall. Not going to get into it in this thread though.

14. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    My thoughts exactly!

15. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    I find this episode hard to rate. On one hand I like the idea of seeing the senatorial political debates and the reasoning that is driving the war. While we all know the real reason for the war, it is interesting to see what the public and senate view as the reasons. I think it is important for the story to get the motivations for each side. IMO it makes the battles more meaningful. So in theory I would like some episodes of this type.

The problem is entirely in the implementation. The story shoots itself in the foot by going to much into specifics. On one hand it is too dull for the younger viewers, and both nonsensical and politically one-sided for older viewers. The first problem, as many have pointed out, is that the numbers used are so ridiculous it destroys the entire argument. Secondly, since Padme is the heroine it implies that her view is the correct one, especially since there isn't a lot of counter argument from other "good guy" characters. That is going to alienate a lot of older viewers who don't have similar views. This is compounded by trying to reference today's headlines which are already politically charged.

I think this episode would have worked much better if things were a bit more vague. The debate can still be about how spending what it takes to win is arguably too expensive. Such a debate can be made interesting and relevant without trying to make it so specific that it falls apart.

So for a grade I give it several points for having a good premise but minus some for turning it into nonsense.

6/10

Kind of sad that my first rating here is so low :(

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    But we already had all that done in Heroes On Both Sides.

17. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I decided to give this episode a 7/10 because I thought this episode's ending was just plain awesome. In my opinion the rest of the episode ranged from decent (ie: The Speeder bike chase) to bad (ie: Padme's speech) and whatnot.

18. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    I give it an eight. So far I havn't seen any real solid arguments against the politics or plot in this episode. It was done well enough, and I personally think that it would have made more sense had the senate been split 51/49 (fellow canadians might get the political reference I am making there) in favor of not passing the bill. rather than the standing and seemingly unanimous ovation padmae received. Other than that, I felt the episode did very well.

I think political episodes in clone wars offend for two reasons, the first is that most people want to see more "pew pew, vrrrrrm, brooooooom" and less "yadda yaddaa, blah blah, yo yo ma." I personally like the more thoughtful episodes as its nice to get a wider view on the mindset behind all the action.

the second reason is that it violates one of the "never do" rules in television. politics are a taboo topic. too offensive no matter what angle you take. Very few shows in the past had a strong enough backing to tackle politics in a honest and sometimes critical light. Clone wars has lucas's galactic scale financial empire supporting it, so they can afford to do so. I think many people assume clone wars is drawing from todays headlines, and while there are paralells, I think lucas is still referencing situations from World war II, where food was often rationed in many neighborhoods, and financial matters became so bleek, many countries were forced to cultural extremes, such as the US allowing women to go to work to take on jobs that were primarily for men at the time. lighting, and untility usage was also rationed for many neighborhoods during the war.

19. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I gave it a 6. Despite the premise, it was enjoyable enough. However, the logic of things hurts my brain. The cost of the clones, the poor living conditions of the handmaiden's family, etc. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I mean I see what they're going for, but it's just poorly executed.

20. Prime_

Feb 4, 2003
    Fair enough. But I'd like to see that expanded, and continue to intertwine episodes covering senatorial debates and Palpatine's manipulations of them.

21. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    I'd give it 6/10 (would have been 3/10 if it hadn't been for Palpatine). A ham-fisted attempt at political commentary that was redeemed somewhat by the final scene with Palpatine and Mas Ameada. There are times when I get the distinct impression the TCW characterisation brief for Padme reads 'Darwin Award waiting to happen'.

22. Prime_

Feb 4, 2003
    Well they certainly aren't doing the character any favors...

23. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I gave it a 5/ 10.

They made the politics seem so one-sided. I respect Padme's view on the issue, but why can't we learn why the other senators felt the way they did? I'd like to know why other Senators favored more clone troopers, and not be left thinking it was just the bad side of a debate.

24. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The "strawman" politics serve their purpose, even if you don't agree with them. In Star Wars, state-sponsored war is unneeded and a most foul plot. The depiction of it will not change.

My problem with this episode is twofold. It started out fine, but once Padme gives her speech my stomach turns. I watch C-SPAN. If this episode mirrored reality the way this series normally does, any mention of Padme's handmaiden or her family would be met with eye-rolls if not hushed laughter. Then the clapping. PUH-LEEZ.
    My second problem is mostly a nitpick. Not only is the audience informed that Palpatine is invested in the ongoing war (a potential spoiler for youngsters and uninitiated), but it seems that Mas Amedda is aware of this too. Does he also know that Palpatine is a Sith Lord? I would have thought Palpatine would keep up his reluctant dictator act privately in the senate as well as publicly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, since this is the first episode I actively dislike, I gave it a 1/10. Seriously, I'm just about burned out on this series. If this Savage Oppress thing doesn't change my mind about this series, consider me out of this loop. Its been fun, but bleaghh this episode just irks me.

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it's confirmed that Mas Amedda is well aware of Palpy being Sidious- ROTS supports that with Amedda being his loyal servant as Emperor "Yes My lord" and he also sees how Yoda comes to his chamber in senate and how Palpatine strikes him with force lightning- Amedda knows it all and maybe he have been allied with Sidious even when Palpy was still a senator i don't know if that's confirmed though of did he learn the truth when working with new chancellor.... at least during the war Amedda knows Palpy's plans i think Palpy has promised high position to him in his upcoming Empire but at the end he is probably betrayed and killed by The emperor- since he is not seen in OT.... s he can still be alive as well...