main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 313 "Monster"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 313 "Monster"

Poll closed Jan 20, 2011.
  1. 10

15.4%
  2. 9

36.5%
  3. 8

19.2%
  4. 7

17.3%
  5. 6

1.9%
  6. 5

3.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.8%
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    On a scale from 1 to 10, what score do you give this episode?

Please note this is NOT the episode discussion thread, so please limit the discussion to the grades and overall evaluation of the episode.

Grade average (53 votes): 7.96

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    9/10 like the last one.

3. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    9/10 for m as well. An amazing episode, but not perfect. Still probably the best episode of the season.

4. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    7/10. Overall a solid episode, and its good that SO was a pretty well rounded character throughout the episode. But the instant transformation at the end pushed it down a little bit. In a series where even Ventress is shown to have some standards, they make an honorable warrior turn into a mindless battle thrall in the span of three seconds, with inadequately-explained magic and absolutely no character development thereafter. I guess making a character with a compelling backstory into an expy of the saga's flattest character would do that. Your mileage may vary, of course.

5. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    7.5, rounded down to 7 for me. A solid episode. Very, very good until the trials, which unfortunately drag on for too long. Then unbelievable transformation, ridiculous power level displayed at Devaron and Dooku's weird timing to enlist Randy to kill Sidious, all of this brings it down considerably.

Still, very enjoyable, as long as you don't think too much about the repercussions of everything.

6. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    8. Good cinematics, but Gry hit it on the head with the story.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I only don't give it a ten because of the battle of Devaron, which was too fast, quick an unbelievable. It didn't belong to this episode. However, I praise the team for what they did and can do within 22min.

8. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    7/10 (though I have a feeling that my rating of this episode could go up or down depending on how things progress in Witches in the Mist). I enjoyed Monster and liked Savage Opress more than I thought that I would, but I think it would have worked better as two episodes rather than one. Like Nightsisters it seemed a little too condensed.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Gave it a 7.

It wasn't as good as 'Nightsisters'. My main problems with this episode are the quick transformation ritual, while cool in itself (the incantation actually speaks volumes about the nightsister magic), smelled of cheap plot device. I'm also not a fan of the Opress character, he's just too much 'let's bring Maul back and let him kick more ass' for my tastes. The word overpowered comes to mind, and I really feel the Jedi Master could have put up a more interesting fight. Pacing problems, yada yada.

That said, the episode in itself was quite enjoyable, and even though I'm not a fan of the Opress character, they made a commendable effort to let the viewers empathize with him.

10. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    10. Really great episode, it met all of my expectations.

11. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    7. It had all the raw materials, but like Nightsisters the use of them was flawed. This episode was rushed to the extreme, especially at the end. The trials seemed to go on forever, especially since 99.999% of viewers could deduce that Savage would be the victor. I would have liked some of the trial time to be sacrificed for more time spent on the transformation, the devaron battle, or even Savage's trining.

12. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    9/10. The inconsistent pacing is the only thing that keeps this episode from being a 10.

13. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010

As good as many of these shows are, sometimes the running length works against the material. This was one of those episodes.

14. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    8/10 for me. Good, solid episode. Might have benefited from more time or different focuses (e.g., less trials, more Devaron), but overall, a very interesting direction.

Savage actually works pretty well as a tragically noble character, even if things zip by super fast after his transformation. Clancy Brown is a BEAST. :D

It's also a good showing of how lethal and twisted Ventress is, helping to further cement her position as a potential equal of the main Jedi heroes. Bravo there!

Interestingly, the tone of the trilogy so far shifts quite a bit as Ventress and the Nightsisters take increasingly monstrous (sorry, pun not intended :p) steps for vengeance against Dooku. We still have sympathy for these victims-turned-villains, but they're certainly living up to the ideal that the Dark Side corrupts absolutely.

Honourable mention: While I've probably heard (and still love [face_laugh]) Dee Bradley Baker's 'raspy voice' a fair number of times, I must commend him for still making it work for Feral. It fits him as being the 'weaker' character, and giving it a serpentine quality as he struggles through the episode is pretty good. In fact, it's a great foil for Savage's voice, which is deep and powerful.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    7/10. The first 2-3 minutes of a 22'minute episode are wasted on rehashing last episode despite the newsreel. Time that could have been spent on Devaron or telling us more about society on Dathomir.

While it was definitely the best-looking episode to date, to tell you the truth the plot felt like something that was written in 5 minutes. Just felt really cliched....although I suppose these things write themselves to a certain extent.

16. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I'll probably be doing this a lot, I gave this episode a 9. A great majority of this series is in the 7 - 9 range for me. There are always great things that outweigh the bad things, and for me this episode was exceptional in the former department and just average in the latter, so that the great things WAY outweighed the comparatively microscopic bad.

So I take it we have a problem with one person always rating the episode a one without saying why?

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I guess part of the problem is that my expectations were high after all the glowing reviews of the theatrical screenings.

Thought Nightsisters was great but Monster just doesn't stack up to the best TCW has given us.

18. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah I gave the last one a 9 too and although I can't think of a complaint that really bothered me like the last one did by missing the opportunity to explain Ventress having one blue and one green lightsaber I feel like the last episode was a little better than this one as well. But a lot of that may just be the fact that I was already emotionally invested in Ventress as a character so finally seeing some background there was just great.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Had to go with 3. Really weak story telling in this one.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    9- not as good as previous one and trials were too long compared to ending so pacing didn't work- also conjuring stuff was unnecessary and problematic but action and music were great stuff and i personally like to see Dooku as proper traitorous sith..... and no weequays in wrong places that's now a good thing every time they don't add them :p

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Bumpitty. Get your votes in.

22. KeltheDor

KeltheDor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 21, 2011
    As I stated in the discussion topic this episode suffered from pacing issues. Thats my only problem. I guess I'll give it a 9/10

EDIT: Whups. Thought this was the thread for Witches of the Mist. My score doesn't change though.

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I would give this a 10/10 if I could.

I ADORED this episode. I loved seeing the Nightbrothers' enclave and seeing Asajj take them on.

24. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    8/10
    Best of Season 3 so far. Animation was awesome and the story a logical conclusion to the arc. Took off two points for two reasons.
    1. I haven't like Ventress since her first appearance in the Republic comics so I get mad every bleeping time she escapes.
    2. Maul. Kinda like how Dark Empire "invalidates" ROTJ, if he is physically alive then that "invalidates" TPM.

25. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I think you think you just graded "Witches of the Mist," but you actually just graded last week's episode!

Also, people can survive without their legs and if Force-users couldn't survive absurdly long falls Ventress would have died halfway through the first Clone Wars series from before Ep. III and not be in this series at all.