main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 314 "Witches of the Mist"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Jan 27, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 314 "Witches of the Mist"

Poll closed Jan 27, 2011.
  1. 10

14.0%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

28.0%
  4. 7

4.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

6.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

6.0%
  10. 1

4.0%
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    On a scale from 1 to 10, what score do you give this episode?

Please note this is NOT the episode discussion thread, so please limit the discussion to the grades and overall evaluation of the episode.

Grade average (51 votes): 7.7

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Gave it a 9. The sheer condensation and rushing of all those various plotlines into one tight episode would put it at around 6 or 7 (a fairly intriguing tale for Savage, yeah, but squeezed into an itty bitty living space), but it also gets extra points for having incredible action as well as daring to shake up the status quo. We're left wondering where Savage, the Nightsisters and Ventress will go from here, and I think those potential plots show promise. :D

Some might wonder 'points for action? Isn't that superficial?'. Well, I have this to say: It's Star Wars. And it's not a matter of being starved for action for so long; I truly believe these have been some of the best duels we've seen in the entire series so far. [face_laugh]

Also, major hooray for Dooku showing us he's one of the top contenders when push comes to shove! =D=

3. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    10. It didn't have the pacing and dialogue problems of the first two episodes, and had some great much-needed action.

4. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    8/10. A solid end to an enjoyable trilogy. There were, as other have mentioned elsewhere, one or two logical flaws with arc; but IMO there was a lot more right with it than wrong with it.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    About the same as Monster, so 3.

6. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I'm torn between giving it an 8 or a 9. It was a great episode, very entertaining and all, which is why I want to give it a 9. But it has quite afew things that bother me a lot, like the double-bladed lightsaber and the unexplained way Savage turned on Ventress, which makes me feel it doesn't deserve such a high grade...

Humm... I think I'll go with.... 9?

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
  8. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Gave it an 8. Decent episode and I'd watch it again without second thought. Had it's flaws, but they weren't so bad. Some of them may be able to be explained in a later arc like why Opress turned on Ventress.

9. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I would give it a 9/10. Now when it comes to comparing the Savage Opress trilogy episodes to each other as far as I'm concerned it was better than the Monster episode (although I liked Monster as well) but it wasn't as good as Nightsisters. What I liked best about this episode was the music that played during the Dooku/Ventress/Savage fight. On the other hand I did not care much for this episode's ending.

10. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah, that's exactly why I had to go back on what I said in the episode thread about giving a 10 and reduced it to a 9. When I re-watched the episode it was an even more glaring omission. True, it may be resolved later, but since my rating is for this episode and they don't even seem to hint at is motives, I couldn't bring myself to give it the 10. Still a GREAT end to a GREAT arc. Definitely one of my favorite of The Clone Wars thusfar.

11. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Who gave it a 1? I haven't even voted yet.

So, I'm going to rate this episode a 2, and I'm going to list my reasons why, lest I be accused of trolling the poll. However, I will NOT debate these points in here, I have done so extensively in the episode discussion.

The episode fails in explaining a lot of things;

- The Jedi are within an arm's reach of Dooku, and they just conclude 'no sense in hanging around here'. I understand there was no time to show another duel, but why even bring the Jedi in then? Which brings me to my next point:
    - I didn't see any reason at all why the Jedi needed to be in this episode
    - I didn't see any reason at all why Savage would think Ventress betrayed him, if anything, Opress betrayed Ventress
    - Even if there was a reason, how come the spell wasn't working? What was the point of that anyway, if it's not working?
    - I didn't see any reason at all why Opress would think he could trust Mother Talzin if he actually thought Ventress betrayed him, unless he was lying, but that would raise the question how he could have broken the spell
    - I can't think of any plausible way in which the Jedi could have learned Maul's name, much less his origins
    - I can't think of any reason how Talzin would know who Obi-Wan is
    - The duel was very unimaginative, and made it seem like Dooku only had an advantage over Opress because he hadn't told him how to block lightning
    - Dooku clearly wasn't attacking Ventress with lightning because she would know how to block it... so, if Ventress was in league with Opress, why didn't she tell him to block the lightning with his saber, especially since he was being zapped repeatedly right in front of her
    - The way Talzin uses the 'crystal ball' to get the Jedi to Toydaria just makes it seem like a cheap plot device. I had been okay with it, if they had only used it at the end of the episode.
    - On Dathomir, Talzin sees Opress on Toydaria, and the Jedi manage to arrive only a short time after Opress has landed. Is Toydaria orbiting Dathomir or is this device seeing the future? Ugh.
    - Opress became way too powerful, way too soon. I understand the episodes are only short, but the level they're taking him to makes it all the more unbelievable, and the ritual from 'Monster' is reduced to a cheap plot device
    - I don't like how Opress' physical power is dominating fighters with lifespans of Force training
    - I don't like how Opress' Force powers easily rival those of characters with lifespans of Force training
    - I don't like how some of his powers are even more powerful than anything we've previously seen on this level of canon (Force Repulse)
    - I don't like how Opress is almost blaster resistant
    - I don't like how Opress is able to Force lift stuff while being zapped, and Dooku isn't able to do anything while being choked
    - I don't like how Dooku's cha-cha-cha makes Ventress look like she might as well be fighting with two matchsticks
    - I hate how Opress is just a cheap, over the top, Maul rip-off. In this episode it's the worst because they have given him the 'final ingredient' of the double bladed red lightsaber
    - I don't get what Opress is talking about when saying that all of his kin were killed
    - I hate how the episode seems to suggest that Maul might be still alive. Although I won't deduct any points for it, because it remains to be seen how this plays out. But only the notion of it is cringe-worthy.
    - All in all there are so many inconsistencies and unexplained things in this episode that I just can't take it seriously at all

So I'm being very generous, and giving it 2 points.

One for being more ambitious than 'Evil Plans' and one for the death of King Katuunko ("YOU IGNORANT BEAST"), plus the lines:

"We'll take him together..."
    "...right." [face_laugh]

12. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    H_J makes me frown. :(

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    9- awesome action and good music
    But too rushed and odd scene at the end- Savage was not betrayed and what he means "his kin were killed?"
    and Maul alive?!?!:eek:

14. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Enjoyed the episode and the arc overall. Probably would give it about a 9 but -1 for silly stuff like being able to fly into an enemy capital ship without being hindered or apparently noticed. Another -1 for going the Maul-copy route with Savage's lightsaber and then one step further by apparently setting up the Maul 1.0's return in some fashion.

So 7/10.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    8/10

The worst of the three episodes. Very rushed, and not that interesting overall. However, I am very curious about Darth Maul, and Dooku's reaction towards the Nightsisters plot against him.

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    H_J makes me want to change my vote... [face_worried] I agree with most of his points, but somehow I can't bring myself to give a low grade to this episode.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just my opinion on some subjects:

I'm sure the fact that the Jedi know about Savage will prove valuable in the future.

More like use him than betray him.

Neimoidians, and his tattoos.

Crystal ball.

It served its purpose. I can't complain against that.

Actually, I always thought the device was showing the future, or where would he be. And this would explain why Talzin was expecting the Jedi.

18. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I actually agree with more than half your points H_J, but I stand by my high grade. Maybe I should have given it a 9 or 9.5, but it was enjoyable enough that I overlooked the flaws.

Kind of like Hunt For Ziro. There was sooooo much wrong with it, but the excellent way it was presented made it a blast to watch. :p

19. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm just glad some of you can see where I'm coming from.

20. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I gave it an 8. Overall, this was an excellent way to end off a great start to the New Year. In retrospect, my grade will probably drop after the luster comes off, but for now, the arc is sitting at an 8.

I definitely agree with Humble's points, but for now I'm just happy to have some lightsabers swinging.

21. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    "ZOMG I realize now that Star Wars fans hate Star Wars!"

"ZOMG This place is more negative than IGN!"

"MORE NEGATIVE THAN IGN I TELL YA!"

Seriously, just look at these grades: 8's, 9's 10's...

This place is so happy.

22. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah I have to say I'm shocked at how positive the ratings have been so far, either a lot of people who had a ton of complaints and little or no compliments haven't voted yet, or they did vote and gave it a really high rating regardless. Way more negative reaction in the episode thread than in here.

23. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    2/10

See Humble Jedi's post. My reasoning is largely the same and I'm too tired to go through a point by point criticism. :D

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Remember, this isn't the full review thread.

I gave it an 8/10 because it was definitely one of the most entertaining episodes we've seen to date. Like I said, 80s action movie style, all flash, no substance.

It really kills me how little plot holes or inconsistencies have ruined or affected so many of the TCW episodes, and I'm wondering if they're just too busy to notice, they don't notice, or they think we won't notice.

The arc wasn't nearly as "epic" as I thought it would be, and the entire plot really played out exactly as I thought it would from the CV trailers.

25. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    A perfect 10. Just like the 1st part, I could find nothing wrong with the episode. An 11/10 for some of the most ridiculously awesome lightsaber fights EVER.