main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 317 "Ghosts of Mortis"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 17, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 317 "Ghosts of Mortis"

Poll closed Feb 17, 2011.
  1. 10

20.8%
  2. 9

25.0%
  3. 8

16.7%
  4. 7

6.3%
  5. 6

10.4%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

2.1%
  8. 3

2.1%
  9. 2

2.1%
  10. 1

8.3%
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    On a scale from 1 to 10, what score do you give this episode?

Please note this is NOT the episode discussion thread, so please limit the discussion to the grades and overall evaluation of the episode.

Grade average (49 votes): 7.3

2. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I'm currently standing on a 7.5, and wondering whether that should fall to a 7 or an 8...

I'll have to watch it again before I decide.

3. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Gave it an 8. I did enjoy it, but I'm also wary that this is more of a one-time or very-seldom sort of story they should tell.

One gripe I have is that the Son's motivations (roughly speaking, who he wants to stab and who he doesn't want to stab :p) require some rather fancy mental footwork to keep track of, though I did find that exercise enjoyable, and there's "Power! Unlimited POWER!" at its core.

Not sure if it was as strong as the last two, but I still found it enjoyable for providing us more looks at the characters in these wild situations. Liam Neeson and Sam Witwer did great jobs, and the trilogy as a whole generated some great food for thought and insight into Star Wars mythos.

And I gotta say, the ending is probably one of the few scenes in the show so far that got me emotionally involved (along with most of 99's screentime in my books). It just felt so moving to me, giving a sense of bittersweet hope, and had stunning visuals to go along with it. Lovely surprise to me. :D

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm giving this episode a 10, and I'm killing myself if I don't motivate it;

In retrospect I should have given the other two episodes tens as well (instead of nines), but at the time I didn't see the episodes in the light I see them in now.

Not only did the Mortis arc turn out to be a cleverly disguised vehicle for the reveal of several big Star Wars secrets (if we manage to scrape beyond the surface), but it has managed to provide me with a totally renewed understanding of the saga, without contradicting what was previously established.

I'm tempted to list my 'Mortis Secrets Revealed' list, but it would bring discussion into the thread, and not all the secrets were revealed by 'Ghosts' alone.

Ghosts of Mortis taught me that to do good, in this case: restore the balance, a balanced act must be performed, one that consists of both light (selfless sacrifice) and dark (killing), neither of which are good nor evil by themselves, but become morally charged when we perform these actions with intention. Vader performs a selfless betrayal, or a selfless kill (if you think that sounds better), and in doing so, serves the greater good.

In short: Ghosts of Mortis explains how killing can be justified as a morally good action; if it is balanced by a selfless purpose.

Watching the end of RotJ will never be the same again for me. There is new meaning that was not there before. For that alone, it deserves a ten.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This entire arc doesn't represent anything I'm looking for from Star Wars, and Ghosts of Mortis highlighted that.

Don't feel to bad though, I was never into the Vergere created philisophical debate either. I think she's a Force using chicken with a pain fetish.

6. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    6/10. From what I've seen online, this episode (and the Mortis arc in general) seems to be one of those things that most people either love or hate. For me though it's firmly in the 'interesting but not mind-blowing' category. I enjoyed the arc for what it was, but I didn't feel like I was getting any amazing new insights into the Force. Still, mind-blowing or not, the second half of this seasons seems to be shaping up to be far better than the first.

7. 3rdNarglatch

3rdNarglatch Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2008
    I voted it 10.

Call me biased but as far as I'm concerned this episode is probably the best the crew has produced since this show went into production. Superb music and fantastic imagery all round from beautifully composed shots that flowed smoothly throughout the entire 22 minutes to the amazing special effects eye candy that supplement the very convincing character animation going on screen. Not to mention the actors who injected their absolute all into the lines given to them. It all came together really really nicely to finish off this very unique character driven tragic story of a mythical family somewhere in the Star Wars 'universe'. I'm very proud to have been a part of it.

Cheers!
    :)

8. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    5. Didn't live up to what the previous two shows had built towards.

As great visually as the previous two but not enough follow through on Anakin's revelations(visions) and a disappointing "solution" to fix what he had discovered about his future.

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    3/10

A disappointing end to the trilogy. Really felt that the Mortis arc could have been finished after Altar; way too much deus ex machina in this episode to suspend my disbelief any further.

This grade marks it as one of the weakest TCW episodes; that's probably a little rough because it's certainly better than Senate Spy, The Academy or Corruption, but the grade also reflects the progression of the Mortis trilogy.

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    5 like all others- isn't it well balanced:p it has nice animation and well.... Ahsoka was cute with goggles... and we get rid of overlords and Mortis..... and then rest was bad stuff.....

Anyway glad to see i'm not only one really disappointed to this i actually waited too much after Altar - I never liked this arc when i first learned about it- and now i can bash it freely when i've seen it- very pointless arc and pretty poor try to explain the prophecy they didn't explain anything..... and this was the worst part of this and i nearly fell asleep while watching- boring episode and backstabbing in the end:oops: "You are the Chosen One- just keep stabbing bad guys in the back and you'll do fine"

11. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Some ridiculous grading here and there, just randomly picking a number. So some of you say that this episode stands among Coruption, Senate Spy, The Academy and Evil Plans. That's just nuts. [face_shame_on_you].

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Some of you are giving this episode 10/10. That's nuts.[face_shhh]

13. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, everybody's crazy here, so what's new? Move along, move along...

14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    7/10

I enjoyed it much more than Altar of Mortis, but it was not as good as Overlords.
    The strength that this episode had was near the start. The quiet nature of the scenes was very calming, and a little sad.

Then came the pointless vision, and then the finger poke of forgetfulness, which really brought it down a bit.

I also hate Sam Witwer's voice acting with a passion, way too angsty.

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    9. The most poignant of the trilogy and my favorite to watch, but I had to knock it down because of the awful middle section. I just couldn't buy Anakin saying "Dark side? Sure, I'll try anything once. Where do I sign up?" Just really didn't jive with me.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    8.5/10. Better than the last one, but not as good as Overlords.

Well, it has Liam Neeson and Qui-Gon so that makes it for a 9.

17. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Gave it an 8. That's all I've got to say.:p

18. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Pretty much what I think in a nutshell. I loved Overlords so much, it was just so different but the rest of the trilogy was definitely a letdown compared at how good "Overlords" was.

Now though I look forward to a much needed clone arc.

Mortis Trilogy overall: 7.8/10

19. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    8/10

A wonderful ending to an incredible arc!

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    If you don't mind me asking... are you saying you're grading based upon story execution, on the premise, or both?

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    A solid 10/10. The climax, in particular, was glorious.

I do, however, want to make a point about the "touch of forgetfulness". I don't see it as a weakness for two reasons:

1) it reaffirms the power of free will in SW, and

2) it contrasts nicely with the touch of life from the Daughter and the touch of death of the Son; it can best be described as the touch of atemporality.

It is thus thematically significant and necessary to fully complete the arc.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I appreciate the show's creators trying something different, especially something visually stunning. And I loved Witwer's V/O work with the Son. But the story was all empty bells and whistles. I've read the arguments claiming otherwise, but I'm not satisfied -- the story is one giant symbolic cliche, and it's been turned into something akin to Swiss-cheese with the plotholes.

23. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    It's ok, but lacking substance and therefore much weaker than previous two parts.

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    A little from Column A, a little from Column B.

Really thought they slapped together this episode, compared to the first 2 episodes which obviously took a lot of thought. You can basically argue out everything that happened in the first 2, but this just full of incoherence and contrived plot points.

What I find interesting is that many people have the same comments as I do, but they give an 8/10 or 9/10 despite the problems. I guess I just drop the grade a whole lot more for what I consider major problems with the plot and script.

This isn't the episode discussion thread though, I feel like I've said plenty enough in the 3 Mortis threads.

I find much of the LACWAC crowd to be a forgiving bunch, I'll leave it at that. It's not a bad thing.[face_peace]

25. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    -1 for pointless Dark-Side Anakin sidetrip.
    -1 for making Obi-Wan nearly useless.
    -1 for convoluted, Shakespearean try-to-be, storyline.
    +2 for mechanic Ahsoka w/goggles.
    = 9/10.